Offboard CPU?

stereotactic

Experienced
Hello all, I did a few searches but didn't see this question. I have a feeling I know the answer, but don't know that much about computers and want to be sure: If I were to run out of CPU on an Axe Fx 2 XL +, is there any way to connect to an external CPU to handle any extra CPU required? Thanks

Ok, thanks, I thought it might be something like that.

So then, is it easy enough to control 2 Axe units through 1 interface? How would they be hooked up?
You could try running one Axe in the loop of the other. If you want independent MIDI control, be sure to set them to different MIDI channels.

Edit:
...or daisy chain them.

Last edited:
The AX8 actually pairs really well with an Axe-Fx II if you need more processing power. You can control them both, simultaneously, from an MFC-101 or even use the AX8 as the MIDI controller (though you get reduced switches if you go this route). A third party controller like a Mastermind unit offers even more control and flexibility over multiple MIDI devices for a premium price.

The AX8 actually pairs really well with an Axe-Fx II if you need more processing power. You can control them both, simultaneously, from an MFC-101 or even use the AX8 as the MIDI controller (though you get reduced switches if you go this route). A third party controller like a Mastermind unit offers even more control and flexibility over multiple MIDI devices for a premium price.

Very interesting i, so in theory the AX8 could be used to both expand the CPU of an FX2 and as a foot controller for both? Would all that expanded CPU power be assaignable to the FX2, or would I have to run certain parts of the signal chain on it and the rest on the FX2?

Thanks very much for the info everybody!

This is all kind of academic until you say what you're trying to do. Make a 'Super-Preset'? One preset to rule them all?

Point is, you can usually do very many things within what you have now with presets, song mode, scenes, X/Y amps, lowering 'verb quality, etc.

I'm thinking 'expanded CPU power' is not quite the right term. You're basically adding another unit into your rig; so it's not expanding the box itself, it's adding another computer. If money is not an object, I'd say another AxeFX and and MFC, and you have a huge rig. I'm not sure why you'd need all that, since I believe that with efficient preset management, you can get to where you want to be.

I would just buy a Fractal Supercharger to connect to the Axe. You'll get plenty of extra horsepower!!!

This is all kind of academic until you say what you're trying to do. Make a 'Super-Preset'? One preset to rule them all?

Point is, you can usually do very many things within what you have now with presets, song mode, scenes, X/Y amps, lowering 'verb quality, etc.

I'm thinking 'expanded CPU power' is not quite the right term. You're basically adding another unit into your rig; so it's not expanding the box itself, it's adding another computer. If money is not an object, I'd say another AxeFX and and MFC, and you have a huge rig. I'm not sure why you'd need all that, since I believe that with efficient preset management, you can get to where you want to be.

Hi ep, the signal chain I am trying to replicate involves 2 different amps upfront, L & R into cabinets, into a doubling delay, into 2 parallel reverbs, then all 3 stereo pairs from the delay lines and both stereo reverbs returning into a mixer. The signal chain is stereo all the way, starting with the 2 different amps and cabs, and ending with the 3 pairs into the mixer. This is a for a live rig only, not likely to be used the same in the studio.

I have a new Axe 2 XL + coming and spoke to someone fluent in the Axe before buying to see if it could do the job. He tried to set it up in his unit and started to run out of CPU, but thought maybe it could be done with lower resolution reverbs and a few other short cuts. I currently have these jobs done by outboard gear, some of which I can of course insert into the Axe signal chain if I run short on CPU. But obviously the ultimate objective would be to do it all in the Axe. Then, overseas touring overhead comes down, reliability goes up and the dream becomes reality..!

Does that all make sense?

Hi ep, the signal chain I am trying to replicate involves 2 different amps upfront, L & R into cabinets, into a doubling delay, into 2 parallel reverbs, then all 3 stereo pairs from the delay lines and both stereo reverbs returning into a mixer. The signal chain is stereo all the way, starting with the 2 different amps and cabs, and ending with the 3 pairs into the mixer. This is a for a live rig only, not likely to be used the same in the studio.

I have a new Axe 2 XL + coming and spoke to someone fluent in the Axe before buying to see if it could do the job. He tried to set it up in his unit and started to run out of CPU, but thought maybe it could be done with lower resolution reverbs and a few other short cuts. I currently have these jobs done by outboard gear, some of which I can of course insert into the Axe signal chain if I run short on CPU. But obviously the ultimate objective would be to do it all in the Axe. Then, overseas touring overhead comes down, reliability goes up and the dream becomes reality..!

Does that all make sense?
For playing live, cutting the resolution of the cabs and reverbs won't impact your sound so you should be able to get there with one Axe!

But obviously the ultimate objective would be to do it all in the Axe. Then, overseas touring overhead comes down, reliability goes up and the dream becomes reality..!
Call me paranoid, but that, right there, would be justification for 2 units for me. Always have a backup, right? Then you'd just have a 2-unit workflow, and a 1-unit workflow if one gives up the ghost.

For playing live, cutting the resolution of the cabs and reverbs won't impact your sound so you should be able to get there with one Axe!

I hope so j, thanks for the suggestion. But the reverbs I've been using are very good ones, because I could hear the difference from the others I had in my rack previously. Whatever the outcome, as long as the Axe can get close to replicating my front end and some of the processing, I will have cut down on quite a lot of gear and brought reliability way up. I am optimistic..!

Call me paranoid, but that, right there, would be justification for 2 units for me. Always have a backup, right? Then you'd just have a 2-unit workflow, and a 1-unit workflow if one gives up the ghost.

Makes sense, if the Axe works out, then I probably will do just that...

He's right. This is taylor made for 2 units. Pays for itself when you sell the outboard gear. And make a backup patch with lower res on both as a backup should one go down.

Wild setup. Fun!

While I understand what you were saying from the reliability standpoint, wouldn't the combination of an Axe FX and an AX8 also give me basic pedalboard functionality as well, as opposed to 2 FX's, and then still needing a foot controller? I don't use lot of patches during a show. I could use AX8 as a backup, albeit a less complex/compromise version of my signal chain, right?

Back
Top Bottom