Off to get my certification for a PADI scuba cert in 55 degree lake water.

That's a confidence builder!

Just prepare for the shock when you take your mask off to clear it. Cold water can feel like you got the wind knocked out of you.

I certified on July 3 1976 at Fremont lake in Wyoming at 9000 ft elevation. Water was in the mid 30's. when I took my mask offf it was so cold I couldn't breath. Thought my regulator had failed.

I was certified August 24, 1976 - my 16th birthday. Check out dive was in May - Devils Lake, Baraboo, WI. It was damn cold! But worth it. An incredible hobby. And you will never forget your check out dive.
Good luck Monday.
SJB

My cert dives were all off Catalina Island near LA one February back in about 1999. It was cold, but not like some of you guys had to deal with.

Mine was off the Nubble Light House in Maine - popular diver spot for New Englanders.

The day after I certified, people saw a whale in the same dive spot we were in.
If I saw that, I likely would have had a heart attack.

That's awesome to see, how many have became divers. I guess I, joining awesome company! Guitars and scuba equipment!

I was certified back in the late 80's on the big Island, My Uncles buddie is a dive master so I got to do the class for free! Great sport to be involved with good luck on Monday Scott!

This whole thing started with a Father's Day raffle at church that I won. I did my discover scuba class and fell in love with it. The instructor who has became my friend, asked if I ever want to blow bubbles let him know. I had just had Hernia surgery, so I had to wait six weeks. He asked me again and I said let's do it. So I pretty much have gone almost every weekend after that. I finally said let's get certified, so I have been doing all the knowlege classes which I past last week. And I'm now doing my 4 check out dives, two down. So the goal is to get to San Carlos Mexico in June. I can't wait to see what it's really like to swim in warmer water with good visibility.

Back
Top Bottom