Off the see EC

Gilesy

Inspired
Hi all

On the spur of the moment on Tuesday I bought one of the last remaining tickets to see Eric Clapton at the Royal Albert Hall, in London, TONIGHT!!

The seat looks very good position-wise - it wasn’t the most expense ticket still available, but not cheap at £350 ($430).

While I’ve seen plenty of videos, I’ve never seen him live, and given his age I guessed this might be one of the last chances to see him. he’s played in this venue 10’s if not a hundred times (he has had a few long runs there, over the years), so am guessing he’s comfortable here.

Looking forward to a great evening!

Cheers, Gilesy

Hey Pauly

Certainly wasn’t the most expensive ticket going either! It looks like its doubled in price from the original face value of the ticket if you end up going through a consolidation site. But I guess it’s a sellers market, as there are plenty of people actually want to go to the shows.

Have fun. Be sure to come back and tell us how it goes. I marvel at my boyhood hero’s and their ability to keep rockin’ out after all these years. I bet he can still put on a show!

Hi @22 frets - the show was excellent. The Albert Hall has amazing acoustics and is quite intimate - 5k peopple rather than the usual stadium numbers of peeople. As I said above, Eric is very familiar with the place (211 shows at this venue as of mid 2021) so he was very relaxed.

His voice is still really strong, and of course his playing is effortless. I had an inkling about the set list (from set list.fm) and therefore felt it was a shame he would do the acoustic version of Layla, rather than electric. I was rewarded with a special treat - he did play the acoustic version, but he also played the electric version at the end of the show. He played lots of classics in the 16 song set (both his own and others) - I’d quite like to have heard one of Pretending, Bad Love, Forever Man (all from the mid 80’s), but in truth it was a really rounded set and I loved it.

Amazing to see a 77 year old in such fine form - no sign off age dulling him just yet.

Cheers, Gilesy

Sounds like everyone had a good time. Glad to hear EC is still cranking out the tunes. Thanks for reporting back. If he makes it over here (U.S.) anywhere near me I might just check him out. 👍

That's highway robbery and obscene to charge that much to see ANYTHING, much less an over the hill has-been like Eric Clapton. Glad he's speaking out against the clot shot but that ain't right

The smaller the venue, the higher the price, especially for legends like EC and the RAH. That's simple math.

Let's see you people do more at that age at any price.

Let's not forget that this is London and everything has gone absolutely bonkers as far as prices are concerned. Everyone wants more money for everything. Roadies want dental now. The ushers want more money. What do you call it over there? Petrol? That's like 6 thousand squids or whatever you call your money per litre.

Expectation management, folks.

Did you hear about the shark (name of Bob) that came across a school of squid and said, I'm heading east, about 50 miles to more fertile grounds. You are all most welcome to come with me to save swimming all that way yourselves!
The squid pondered that idea and thought 'What a nice shark, lets go'...So they all jumped on the squid's back, and the shark started swimming due east, with 25 squid on his back.
After about 45 miles, the shark happened across another shark that obviously knew him, because he who came over to say hi.

Hi Bob, have you come to pay that debt?? Asked the other shark.
"Yep" says Bob - Here's that 25 squid I owe ya...

Let's see you people do more at that age at any price.

Let's not forget that this is London and everything has gone absolutely bonkers as far as prices are concerned. Everyone wants more money for everything. Roadies want dental now. The ushers want more money. What do you call it over there? Petrol? That's like 6 thousand squids or whatever you call your money per litre.

Expectation management, folks.

Back
Top Bottom