ODS Flip (dynamic playing, dynamic reactions)

PacoCasanovasOld

Fractal Fanatic
I often get asked what the flip is.....

Most amp concepts feed a gain stage into another which results in compression, gain, more compression, endless sustain, huge amount of background noise.....so what about a very dynamic concept that kicks a nicely voiced dual gain stage into smooth roaring overdrive, but when played more softly still let the clean fundament shine trough? Possible? Yes....;)

I would say the flip is a combination of string attack and how the amp tone reacts to it, because of this very smooth transition between clean and overdrive, sometimes it seems as the tone even would overplay your attack, a special sort of note bloom but not related to feedback as most sources refers.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/15087852/ODSflip.mp3

The clip not even demonstrate a ODS amp, still Fw 17.03 / G2-Modeling......and yes! No guitar volume control used, pick attack only8)

That sounds very nice. Your "note flip" is utterly unapparent though. Maybe you could flip a note in isolation so it's an obvious, repeatable, observable phenomenon?

I often get asked what the flip is.....

Most amp concepts feed a gain stage into another which results in compression, gain, more compression, endless sustain, huge amount of background noise.....so what about a very dynamic concept that kicks a nicely voiced dual gain stage into smooth roaring overdrive, but when played more softly still let the clean fundament shine trough? Possible? Yes....;)

I would say the flip is a combination of string attack and how the amp tone reacts to it, because of this very smooth transition between clean and overdrive, sometimes it seems as the tone even would overplay your attack, a special sort of note bloom but not related to feedback as most sources refers.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/15087852/ODSflip.mp3

The clip not even demonstrate a ODS amp, still Fw 17.03 / G2-Modeling......and yes! No guitar volume control used, pick attack only8)
19? :eek-new:

I tune in for your playing. The amp preset sounds nothing short of amazing and I can clearly hear the picking dynamics too. I still have trouble believing that this kind of tone can come out of a modeler.

That sounds very nice. Your "note flip" is utterly unapparent though. Maybe you could flip a note in isolation so it's an obvious, repeatable, observable phenomenon?

I cannot here it either. I have listen in sound forge 11 pro and 3 other programs. It sounds great to me.

Is this not the important thing, test- our ears. Please understand I am only stating what I hear. No harm is intended, that is for sure.

Great sound and really nice playing, no doubt about that
Thanks for the fine music

Last edited:
Great tone and great playing. I hear pick attack. Reproducible on many types of amp and not isolated to Dumbles. I like the way the Dumble reacts to the pick. But that's not something I would ever call "Flip". I'd call it good mastery of the pick and expressiveness. But maybe I'm tone-deaf.

You're not.....

For me, this is more of a feel thing you can hear while playing for yourself, it's like being overplayed by the amp when picking a note - something like a slightly slow expander effect that boosts the muscularity of your note! It was pretty nice on Fw 12.03b4, and also hearable in Cooper's Fw18 clip at some moments. This is pretty unique to some dumble tones.

Here is another example of the real amp: https://vimeo.com/111183574 (listen carefully at 1:39 - 1:41 or around 0:12 ) there it goes! Different way of string attack, same effect! ;) It's like the tone rises up faster than the player pick it......

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom