ODS #102 Patch and Clip

Imho and taste, you nailed it, thx...

Despite all ...stuff... You and Cliff should work together, for the best product on planet guitarworld :encouragement:

I am on latest version of 17 and trying to load this syx patch...

Can someone explain how I can do this ?
I have it in syx librarian but im doing something wrong..
I am trying to save it into axe fx II and it said its in the edit area
in the axe but I cant find it..

Tried to load that too a patch I never use 298 or something and cant seem to get this to load..

Its user error Ill admit that but I really want to try some of the syx files and cant seem to figure it..
yes Im on wiki as well but not doing something right..

can someone explain how to grab a syx file an save it too my machine to try out ?
pardon my ignorance Ive made most of my own patches so I dont know how to do this yet.

Thanks for sharing this and in advance thanks to anyone that helps me figure it out..

Dear Tex Axe

Now I exported the patch again, this time with Fractal Bot and zipped it (you can open it with win zip or any other file compression expander app).

Here is the link: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/15087852/ODS102.syx.zip

To import the patch it's necessary that your axefx has Firmware 17.03 installed. Since FAS didn't updated the support section on their website yet, here is the link to the current firmware version 17.03 : http://forum.fractalaudio.com/axe-f...x-ii-firmware-17-03-released.html#post1129618

After updating your axefx as usual, restart fractal bot, choose/re-connect your axefx (under section "READY" in fractal bot) , use fractal bot to transfer the patch to your axefx, simply by press browse to have access to your download folder (were the file is on your computer) select it and press "begin" - the patch will be sent to your machine. Now press Store on the axe, choose your desired preset number and press enter. There it is....the ODS102 on your machine :). You don't need a special cabinet IR, it's the F105 (factory 105) Rumble 4x12 EV12L Mix cab.

If anything goes wrong, please say it - we're all pleased to help you!

wish you best of success

Dear Tex Axe

Now I exported the patch again, this time with Fractal Bot and zipped it (you can open it with win zip or any other file compression expander app).

Here is the link: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/15087852/ODS102.syx.zip

To import the patch it's necessary that your axefx has Firmware 17.03 installed. Since FAS didn't updated the support section on their website yet, here is the link to the current firmware version 17.03 : http://forum.fractalaudio.com/axe-f...x-ii-firmware-17-03-released.html#post1129618

After updating your axefx as usual, restart fractal bot, choose/re-connect your axefx (under section "READY" in fractal bot) , use fractal bot to transfer the patch to your axefx, simply by press browse to have access to your download folder (were the file is on your computer) select it and press "begin" - the patch will be sent to your machine. Now press Store on the axe, choose your desired preset number and press enter. There it is....the ODS102 on your machine :). You don't need a special cabinet IR, it's the F105 (factory 105) Rumble 4x12 EV12L Mix cab.

If anything goes wrong, please say it - we're all pleased to help you!

wish you best of success

1. Works also fine with 17.04beta

2. A much simpler way to transfer one patch is opening Axe-Edit. Search for the (unzipped) patch in (Windows) Explorer and drag it into the patch-number of Axe-Edit.

Eh thanks Im on a mac and I just tried this and it does not work I have folder on desktop...
I even moved that to other drive and tried from there no worky..
Dont know what im doing wrong...

anyone on a mac that can help ?
Im going to try axe edit again...

Ok I got it working but it would not load THAT file
everything else but that im current on 17.2

Will try again tomorrow.
I did get some working though thank you.

Last edited:
Loads up just fine for me ! I'm on v17.03 and I'm on a PC w/ Windows 7 ....

I happened to save the patch on my desktop ( un-zipped ) and then I just opened Axe-Manage Presets and dragged & dropped it into the Axe-Fx II .... BOOM !

Also, the "D-style" Amps aren't really my thing, and I don't think my guitar's pickups are hot enough to make the patch 'snap' on my system.

But I have to say, the tone is pretty darn nice !

Last edited:
and I don't think my guitar's pickups are hot enough to make the patch 'snap' on my system.

Dear R.D

HAD (Howard Alexander Dumble) included a little FET preamp in front of the amp circuit, so players with not so hot pickups can push them a bit upwards. ODS amps have two inputs - labeled NORMAL (without the FET preamp) and FET. This little preamp gives you a bit more boost often needed with single coil PUs.

I guess on Fw 17.00 Cliff introduces a thing called "FET preamp" in the drive block, this could be the needed part here - I'll give a try to match my patch with a strat. I'll keep you informed when it's done! :)

all the best
Paco

So when I load that preset on my axe, will then all my amps have +2.0 dB gain? if yes, how can avoid this and change it via input trim?

No, you would have to add it. It is a global parameter. It does not come in patches. To match what he did, you need to add to +2db of input gain to the amp. There are a variety of ways to do this. To do this using the trim, increase the trim to ~1.26. That is equivalent to a 2 db boost.

Last edited:
O.K., raising the Input Trim to 1.280 helped ! Now I've got more of the dynamics that I'm hearing in Paco's clip ! My guitar is a fair bit darker, so I had to bump up the Treble & Presence just a hair .... But its getting there for sure !

I do have one more question though .... What is the PEQ for ? I looked at the settings ( and I disengaged it ), it doesn't appear to be doing anything ?

THANKS !

O.K., raising the Input Trim to 1.280 helped ! Now I've got more of the dynamics that I'm hearing in Paco's clip ! My guitar is a fair bit darker, so I had to bump up the Treble & Presence just a hair .... But its getting there for sure !

I do have one more question though .... What is the PEQ for ? I looked at the settings ( and I disengaged it ), it doesn't appear to be doing anything ?

THANKS !

If you have Matrix Q12a, you'll hear the difference ;) The sound open up and feels less boxy, sounding much more natural to my taste (and some of my customers too according to their reviews)... You might not need the corrections on your amp/FRFR setup....

All the best
Paco

just a quick word to those having trouble loading this patch - when i downloaded the syx file, for some reason the .txt extension was added onto the file name. remove it (leaving the .syx extension) and it loads just fine

Thanks Sean... can you explain the math behind this? Why does 1.26 on input trim = +2dB of gain? It would be useful to understand this for other applications.

The reason for it is in Paco's first post ( he makes a Global compensation, and raising the Input Trim is a way of doing the same thing to just the individual patch ):

There is a global Amp Gain +2.0dB tweak neccesary to reach the same gain structure as on the amp. Gain structure of a non-HRM amp varies to the HRM versions due of lacking the special filter and resistor network between the clean preamp and the overdrive stages. Since most ODS variations were done with PAB activated and the normally factory pre-setted post gain tone stack, you can't tell if things were still in or out...personally I like both HRM and nonHRM concepts but all with the fully working clean preamp before the OD stages, aka pre-gain tonestack fully operable. Since this seems impossible in the box, I prefer the nonHRM models to keep the feel and amp dynamics right in my fingers, which makes this concept truly remarkable.

Thanks Sean... can you explain the math behind this? Why does 1.26 on input trim = +2dB of gain? It would be useful to understand this for other applications.
You can use this calculator dB calculate - decibel calculation dB calculator voltage power ratio sound pressure level matching dBA SPL sound pressure intensity ratios converter thd percent % audio engineering impedance matching bridging - sengpielaudio Sengpiel Berlin
which you can find here in the WIKI Amp parameters - Axe-Fx II Wiki

@ R.D. I understand why Paco was using +2DB, what I do NOT understand is how Sean arrived at 1.26 on input trim to be equivalent to +2DB. And that's what I'm asking Sean to clarify.

This matches my mental image of a Dumble tone. Even my brightest guitar sounds a lot darker though. I haven't gotten anything useful out of the Bludojai model with basic tweaks, it sounds like a tiny radio, but this is golden! Thanks!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom