Oddball or Weird Patches (FX / Effects or otherwise)

Kent

Inspired
Hello all,

I tried a search and didn't find what I was hoping to find. If there are other threads on this matter, please point me (and others) in the right direction.

In addition to bread 'n' butter tones and patches I often like to inject odd textures into what I do. I don't have an Axe-FX yet and accomplish my goals with NI Guitar Rig, from which I'm fleeing, and a JMP-1 with 10 million pedals and a Korg A1 system. I also use a rather large modular synth rig with some pretty out-there effects. I also use a Roland VG-99. I will get an Axe in 2015.

So, I ask you, the Axe-FX veterans, what kind of goofy things can be done with the Axe-FX? Could you be bothered to generously provide links to some of the more interesting things that you have done with your Axe-FX?
Deep Reverbs, Phase-Wahs (I love my Korg Mr. Multi), Deep Swirling Phase/Rotary stuff, the insane Rainbow Machine, Stutter Effects and anything that demonstrates the horsepower of the Axe-FX. I listened to the Larry Mitchell reverb video. It was ace. :encouragement:

Last edited:
you can go to the media page on the fractal site and hear a bunch of stuff i did with the ultra, which will give you some idea of the possibilities...

Alright folks, some cool stuff present by Simeon if you scroll to the bottom of the link that I provided. I really liked "Pedal Filter", "Kaos Oscillation", and "Techno Chops". What are your most bonkers presets?

Does anyone have any stuff like the gonzo Rainbow Machine?

Perhaps we need a "randomize" button for each FX block....could provide some interesting stuff (though 99% useless I'm sure lol)

I actually tend to love randomize and morph settings on my various VST synths like NI Absynth. Just click it 3 or 4 times and you can come up with some totally off the wall sounds

Forgot to add, check out some of the guitar to midi tools out there like Jam Origin and Sonuus G2m, they are pretty affordable and work pretty well (for the most part)

Opening up the world of synths takes the odd sound potential about 100 fold vaster. Bleeps, bloops, drones, evolving pads etc. Weird noises with a bunch of FX is all well and good, but can be a bit limited and many combinations can come of a bit cliche (IMO). There is a range of what you can do with guitar and fx, and then there is a range of what you can do with a synth, but using a guitar as a unique controller, which I think is much less used these days. Though most days, I find its easiest to use my guitar like a guitar and just play synthy stuff on a keyboard LOL

Top-shelf, Simeon. Top-shelf indeed.
Thanks for going through the effort of collating these in one place.

Nice 8-bit shit, Chef. Nice Nintendo dreams and arcade memory (chips).

Also, a while back Cooper Carter (SoloAWeek on YouTube) posted a series of three videos where hecplays a few seconds of every preset in the box. You might find it informative as well.

Also, a while back Cooper Carter (SoloAWeek on YouTube) posted a series of three videos where hecplays a few seconds of every preset in the box. You might find it informative as well.

It's actually more something like seven or eight videos haha

Just ordered the XL right before February hit us! Exciting times indeed.

Would anyone care to further ride this horse by posting some nutty presets? It would be greatly appreciated by yours truly.

Thanks!

I bought an Arduino kit and made a USB MIDI to serial MIDI converter box, then I plugged in a Korg NanoControl (a bunch of knobs and sliders) into my AxeFx. Then I used the step-sequencer function in Axe FX as a modulater for pitch of an oscillator as part of a guitar patch. Combined with some phasing and stuff, I came up with a whacked out version of Pink Floyd's On-the-Run where I can use the knobs and sliders on the Korg unit to modulate the pulse width and other parameters of the square wave, muck with depth/feedback/frequency of the phaser, etc. I was giggling like a little kid (and my wife was rolling her eyes) when I got it all working together, but haven't honed it into something performance-worthy yet.

The possibilities are out there. I'm now thinking of working a computer rig back into the picture so I can whack it out to a whole new level using MIDI to control C-sound, start/stop queued audio, loops, etc. I'm a n00b with all the stuff, but it's pretty alluring.

In one of my bands, I have a couple of patches that I use for specific songs, where I need to duplicate sounds from Robert Fripp. I use a pretty dense and complex signal chain to recreate those sounds. It's interesting that they are very specific to my main guitar, which is a strat. I own three other stratocasters, and none of them sounds right with those patches.

The AxeFX makes it easy to build those sounds, but it's crucial to be very familiar with the platform. Cooper Carter's videos (especially the master class) are a good curriculum.

Back
Top Bottom