Odd volume behavior with 10.02

Kracked

Inspired
First gig tonight with 10.02 - battled with volume surges all night.... In the middle of a song, all of a sudden, the output would jump to what would amount to 3-5 db and then some time later would settle back down. Sometimes kicking on an effect would bring it back down to normal, other times not. Switching presets would start out ok, but volume would creep up through the song.
Not sure what's happening, but several gigs under my belt with 10.00 with no issues, 10.02 stressed me out tonight big time. Headed back to 10.00 to see if it's not some other issue with the unit itself - hopefully not... Weird stuff for sure - never experienced until after loading 10.02.

Ideas anyone?

Tell us more about your rig. MFC, MFC firmware, expression pedal (volume?), special configuration details?

Last edited:
Tell us more about your rig. MFC, MFC firmware, expression pedal (volume?), special configuration details?

MFC firmware rev 2.15
Two expression pedals - one converted volume pedal and one converted cry baby
Carvin DCM200L
Marshall 4x12
*Always* run my gear through a TrippLite Autotransformer which cleans up the power and keeps the line voltage steady during fluxuations. I've been gigging with this setup for over a year and it has been absolutely rock solid and never had any odd behavior - until I went to 10.02
I don't run any volume "boost" for solos so the level set in the patch is what it is and should remain that way. The only place I run a volume control in my patches is before the amps and as a cross fade between the two - one clean and one gainy. This volume surge I'm talking about is not coming from that crossfade setup since the surge is not causing changes in the amp gain - it is clearly the overall loudness.

I'm going to roll back to 10.00 for now and see if it resurfaces - if all is well after rolling back, I will have to assume it's some anomaly associated with moving to 10.02.

So the volume jumps happened out of nothing, without switching presets/scenes etc.?

The pedals are set to which CCs?

Can you rehearse/practice with your rig without the MFC plugged in? Do the volume problems still happen?

Update the MFC to 2.16.. I had volume block weirdness with V10, that would cause my patches to have "0" output, until I switched to a different preset and then back... it was a known bug, and the update to 2.16 fixed it... but if it's jumpy, yeah, it sounds like it could be a bad connection in a cable

Sounds like a bad cable somewhere.
Yeah - but it's not cables - I doublechecked that first, swapped out - same behavior (hardly any cables in this setup anyway)

It's not in and out (jumpy) like a cable, actually more like a "swell" then will stay there for some time and then eventually back down - I may go a whole song with no issues, then out of the blue without me touching anything on the MFC, here it comes again. I couldn't tell if FOH was exhibiting the same thing via Output 1, but output 2 which has no cab sim and feeds onstage the power amp / cab was all over the place during the gig.

I hate stuff like this because it's so hard to troubleshoot when it's intermittent.

I'll try 1.16 on the MFC and test - if it's still there, I'll roll back to 10.00 and test. Who knows, maybe there's a HW issue with the Axe... hope not.

Yek - the cc's assigned to the pedals CC17 & CC23. Been using them that way since the Ultra days and before the MFC when I was using a GCP.

I bumped into something as well this weekend (10.02 and 2.16). Friday night had a gig where the first song played was really brash and bright even though had just changed patches several times before starting as sound check, used the patch later in the evening and it was fine... No other issue that night. Then on Sat was adjusting guitars basically keeping the tuner up and every 5-10 minutes the volume would drop (swell) to about 1/2 or less... Letting it stay that way long enough the volume would swell back up. Changing presets made no difference, power cycle just the axefx and volume returned to normal. Figured it was my wireless so switched to cable but issue still persisted. Unplugged MFC... Same behavior with volume dropouts... Switched to another guitar and still same behavior... Then on Sunday tried to track back what was going on more by reseating all my cables and everything was fine for a few hours just playing, wasn't using tuner but then volume drop returned once but ran out of time to research further. This evening planning to swap out the cable going from out1 to mixer and see if can reproduce from there and could have been same cable from Friday.

Friday's config was out1->16 chan mixer->EV115Ps
Over the weekend was out1->8 chan mixer->Ada microtube->passive speaker

I don't know what the brash sound issue from Friday was and have not reproduced that since (almost sounded like sims were off)... Maybe will discover more this evening on the dropouts seeing over the weekend... I've really just taken it with a grain of salt so far as my practice gear for home is seriously aged and still have the cable from out1, mixer, power amp, and speaker/cable to test but the volume swell sounded familiar so why posting about it a little premature before completely having tried to eliminate everything not axefx related yet.

Will also mention did upgrade and clean file via fractalbot plus system reset. Have not used axe-edit 1.9 with it. Also need to try rebuilding the patch from scratch. I restored 285 recto lead from fw8 or older via front panel and simply switched the amp to spawn nitrous and flipped the cab... That's pretty much my main patch for low volume fooling around so have not reproduced with another yet... Fridays brash sound was on a different patch that had been pulled from older fw as well with just amp/cab reset as well so lots of variables remain on that front too!

Last edited:
I experienced similar issues this weekend. I use scenes and had some volume adjustments applies to some of the scenes. I reset all the scenes to 0dB and then used null filters which I selectively bypassed as-needed per scene, and the problems went away. I am using 10.02 with MFC on firmware 2.16 over Cat 5 cable.

I haven't experienced any issues like this since the initial volume bug when scenes were first introduced; I wonder if a bug has crept back in.

I experienced similar issues this weekend. I use scenes and had some volume adjustments applies to some of the scenes. I reset all the scenes to 0dB and then used null filters which I selectively bypassed as-needed per scene, and the problems went away. I am using 10.02 with MFC on firmware 2.16 over Cat 5 cable.

I haven't experienced any issues like this since the initial volume bug when scenes were first introduced; I wonder if a bug has crept back in.

I haven't specifically made the correlation with using scenes but that's something I may need to look at closer since I am using scenes on several patches through the night (though I don't recall the volume jumping at a scene change - but then again I was kinda frazzled by that point). I rolled back to 10.00 yesterday and updated the MFC to 2.16 since I have gigs all this weekend and don't want to risk going through that battle again until I can figure out 100% what may have caused it.

Back
Top Bottom