Odd Sound - Like a Wah Coming On Randomly

bread

Power User
When I was using my Axe FX II XL+ with MCF101 III at reharsals last night, I came across this weird problem. After playing on the same scene for around 3 minutes, the sound would suddenly change as if the wah had come on in the heel down position. This also happened in another preset with the same scene number (Scene 4).

Preset Info :

Both use the dual delay
One has a wah block (auto on) - the other does not.
One runs at 89% CPU the other at around 74% CPU
Ruinning Q 6.01

Pressing the Scene switch (4) again causes the sound to return as it should be.

This did not happen again for the remaining 2 songs we did after I switched the unit off and on.

Anyone else had this ?

Last edited:
Are you using a FCB1010......in that case calibrate the pedals. The values they send to the Axe drifts over time - at least both mine do. Or increase the Auto Engage limit in the WAH block.

I guess it could also happen for other pedals than the FCB.

Søren

Are you using a FCB1010......in that case calibrate the pedals. The values they send to the Axe drifts over time - at least both mine do. Or increase the Auto Engage limit in the WAH block.

I guess it could also happen for other pedals than the FCB.

Søren

I'm using the MFC101 mark 3

Thanks

Isn't there a chance that due to resonance of kick and bass the pedal slightly moved a bit towards toe down?
Especially because tou say it's random and after some time.

What happens if you press the pedal heel down again when you hear it? Does the sound go back to normal?

I tried moving the pedal full range but nothing sorted it until I reloaded the scene.

It did it on a scene without a wah block too. The same scene number in a different preset.

My wah controller falls forward alot and turns the wah on .... I have to heel down and hold it there for it to stay a second might be that...
If its not that its George Soros subverting your system..
:)

The CPU is 89% on one preset and 74% on the other and I've only experienced clip above 92%
My bad. I should have posted the entire sentence: "Would you post a clip so we can hear what you're hearing?"

My bad. I should have posted the entire sentence: "Would you post a clip so we can hear what you're hearing?"

It came on quite randomly. What I think is it could be is two things.

1. I had the wah heel down position at 0% on thw wah block. I've now changed this to 10% (it's auto on). Vibrations could have caused it to move forward.

2. The cpu was too high on one preset and changing to another carried the problem over.

May not be the issue you're having but I've found that unless you have a spring loaded expression pedal its best to use auto engage with toe down position and set auto engage to 95%. This way you don't have to worry about pedal drift. Gravity can be your friend.

I have had (what I believe) are similar symptoms at a gig. It would stop if I would change presets. Never tried changing scenes as the middle of a damn song wasn't the time for troubleshooting. I was using some modified (old and free) Freeman presets, and I always figured I hadn't carefully killed all the modifiers...

Well there's only one way to find out.

I'm on stage on 4 hours and we are all ready to start sound check.

I'm a tad nervous - never used an Axe FX XL+ live before so it will be a bit if a baptism of fire. Used the FX8 countless times which has worked very well for me up to now.

Squeaky bum time !!!

It came on quite randomly. What I think is it could be is two things.

1. I had the wah heel down position at 0% on thw wah block. I've now changed this to 10% (it's auto on). Vibrations could have caused it to move forward.

2. The cpu was too high on one preset and changing to another carried the problem over.
Item #1 has claimed more than one victim in the past.

No dramas last night whatsoever. I think it was a combination of the wah block setting and the high CPU demand that caused the problem in the first place.

This thing is mind blowing. The tone I had last night was simply amazing - had the sound and lighting guys scratching their heads looking at the axe wondering how on earth a 2u rack unit with no amps can sound that great.

No more amps on stage for me from now on although I will keep my mark v and FX8 ... just because I can

Thanks for the help

Back
Top Bottom