Odd Idea for Basic MIDI Control for AFX III

Genghis

Power User
Guys, I'm looking for some pros and cons for controlling my Axe-FK III with a bit of an outside the box idea. I generally use mostly scenes, so I think my idea would work out OK for live, and for in my little studio I tend to overdub things and will usually only use my expression pedals for wah, or other effects control, so no switching via pedals is really required for that scenario.

I also sing live, so I'm thinking of using a TC-Helicon Voice Live to do my vocal effects and trigger scene changes on the Axe-FX III as well. That would get me mostly there, but I'd also add in the Morningstar MIDI pedal when it comes up as available.

Can anyone give me any good reason that this wouldn't be effective? It would maintain a small footprint on stage, and I'd have a bit more control of my vocal sound going to the board as well. I would basically keep that with some simple effects for vocals and maybe kick in a harmony now and then if needed.

Guys, I'm looking for some pros and cons for controlling my Axe-FK III with a bit of an outside the box idea. I generally use mostly scenes, so I think my idea would work out OK for live, and for in my little studio I tend to overdub things and will usually only use my expression pedals for wah, or other effects control, so no switching via pedals is really required for that scenario.

I also sing live, so I'm thinking of using a TC-Helicon Voice Live to do my vocal effects and trigger scene changes on the Axe-FX III as well. That would get me mostly there, but I'd also add in the Morningstar MIDI pedal when it comes up as available.

Can anyone give me any good reason that this wouldn't be effective? It would maintain a small footprint on stage, and I'd have a bit more control of my vocal sound going to the board as well. I would basically keep that with some simple effects for vocals and maybe kick in a harmony now and then if needed.
Does the Voice Live allow you to send CCs with specific data values? If not, you'd have to use Preset Mapping on the Axe Fx III.

As long as you can control sending of PCs it should work.

Does the Voice Live allow you to send CCs with specific data values? If not, you'd have to use Preset Mapping on the Axe Fx III.

As long as you can control sending of PCs it should work.
Yeah, that is the part that is not really too clear in the manual. It shows the CCs that can trigger various things, but I'm not 100% sure it transmits them as you hit the button on the unit. I suppose I could just get one and send it back if it doesn't do the job...

There, that justifies my GAS on this one, but I still should think about it a bit longer.

I use the Morningstar MC6 to change scenes and run the looper and bypass effects. But you can do that with a lot of different controllers, including the MFC-101

I don't think this is possible. (From the Voice Live Forums)

VoiceLive 3: Is it possible to control an external device from VoiceLive 3 via MIDI?
Question
I have an external MIDI compatible device (for instance a MIDI amp for my guitar). Is it possible to recall the amp presets when recalling an internal preset from VoiceLive 3?

Answer
Yes, this is possible. VoiceLive 3 sends a MIDI program change corresponding to its internal number when you recall it. The MIDI messages are sent on the channel set in CC Channel (MIDI menu from SETUP)

It also send MIDI CC status corresponding to the effect blocks assigned to the 5 effect switches. If you don't want that you can set the CC Channel parameter in Setup/midi menu to OFF -

If CC channel is set to OFF, The MIDI Program changes only are sent on MIDI channel #1 per default.

The unit has no MIDI MAPPING OUT - So you need to program your receiving MIDI device to have the same number of preset that you are using in VoiceLive 3, with corresponding numbers.

If your receiving device has a limited number of programmable presets, you will need an external box to remap the MIDI PC sent by the Voicelive 3, i-e- Midi Solutions Event Processor http://www.midisolutions.com/prodevp.htm.

If you have an amp without MIDI, you might look at some external switchers such as RJM mini amp gizmo. They can switch your amp channels when receiving a MIDI program change for VoiceLive 3.

Thanks for the info. I was about to give the Voicelive a try, but decided I really don't need that kind of control over my vocal effects. I can do fine with just whatever the PA has, and most of them these days have a lot more going on in that area than they did when I was more actively gigging.

I'll just keep using the MFC, as it does much more than those do, and be very happy when the FC12 comes out.

Back
Top Bottom