odd exercise in tone most people probably wouldn't want

Ben.Last

Experienced
While redoing a bunch of my patches for Cygnus I started thinking about how, over time, our minds sort of create idealized ideas of tones that, in fact, probably wouldn't even work for most people.

And I started thinking about how to effectively get those tones out of my head and into my AFX. It obviously goes beyond tracking down amp settings or finding clear soloed moments in tracks.

And it got me thinking that picking the minds of the fractal forum brain trust could be interesting.

I feel like the first tone like this that would likely spring to people's minds is Dimebag's (perfect for him, but would likely sound like crap in any other context),

However, the first one I'm trying to wrap my head around is Korn's (I'll get around to Dimebag's at some point and probably port another rambling thread about that when I do). Their tone is undeniably rectifier, but it's application is just so strange and technically junky, and not at all like what most people would want when dialing in a rectifier, but it sounds just huge (both live and in their mixes). When trying to build a base tone like this, it's definitely been a struggle to balance definition vs excessive distortion and to figure out how overboard to go with the low end. Lots of sculpting and refining where elements of distortion and overdrive come into the mix and attempts at multiband compression and so on.

So, for anyone interested: if you were trying to not recreate what this tone actually is, but a version that encompasses the idea of it... What would you come up with?

(and, yes, I probably should have included the patch that I've been toying around with this on, but this is what we get when I'm sleepy and think to post about this after I've left my music room to go to bed. I'll post that tomorrow, unless the response is "this is weird and esoteric, and we have no clue what you're trying to say)

Last edited:
I don’t know that I can help but have a couple of comments. I believe Dime used a solid state Randall and used a couple of EQ’s to get his tone. I somewhat recently discovered Ty Tabor’s tone which reminded me of Dime’s tone only to discover it was from a solid state amp too. The scooped sound is usable in a one guitarist setting but it’s hard to mix in other settings, at least for me. I’ve chased those tones and find I have to EQ everything else around it to make it work. But I’m a novice. I love those tones though and look forward to following this thread.

Mix in the pig ir or similar small speaker. It gets the blown speaker without overdoing the distortion. I can post my quick attempt at "coming undone" tone if you'd like.

Agree with the Solid State statement! Have you tried blending sounds? Kind of like the 5150+Valvestate? Fricker put a YouTube video with great tips UMPOV.

Actually, It would be weird to ask Fractal people to include the Mighty Valvestate in the amp models between all these fancy and awesome boutique and exclusive amps? hahah (I still owning one, cause it was my very first amp and never get rid of it, but I not used for years until that video tho. The people from Audiority released a Valvestate plugin but I'd prefer to stay in the box just with the FXIII, so "please please Santa Cliff, any chance for a Valvestate for Xmas? I've been a bad boy!! ;-)

Anyway, here is Fricker's video, just in case can inspire you or others!

While redoing a bunch of my patches for Cygnus I started thinking about how, over time, our minds sort of create idealized ideas of tones that, in fact, probably wouldn't even work for most people.

And I started thinking about how to effectively get those tones out of my head and into my AFX. It obviously goes beyond tracking down amp settings or finding clear soloed moments in tracks.

And it got me thinking that picking the minds of the fractal forum brain trust could be interesting.

I feel like the first tone like this that would likely spring to people's minds is Dimebag's (perfect for him, but would likely sound like crap in any other context),

However, the first one I'm trying to wrap my head around is Korn's (I'll get around to Dimebag's at some point and probably port another rambling thread about that when I do). Their tone is undeniably rectifier, but it's application is just so strange and technically junky, and not at all like what most people would want when dialing in a rectifier, but it sounds just huge (both live and in their mixes). When trying to build a base tone like this, it's definitely been a struggle to balance definition vs excessive distortion and to figure out how overboard to go with the low end. Lots of sculpting and refining where elements of distortion and overdrive come into the mix and attempts at multiband compression and so on.

So, for anyone interested: if you were trying to not recreate what this tone actually is, but a version that encompasses the idea of it... What would you come up with?

(and, yes, I probably should have included the patch that I've been toying around with this on, but this is what we get when I'm sleepy and think to post about this after I've left my music room to go to bed. I'll post that tomorrow, unless the response is "this is weird and esoteric, and we have no clue what you're trying to say)
Did you try the Jazz 120 model, don't touch the power amp section, but swap out the tone stack for the JTM or one of the other amps? You can modify the preamp section at will.

Then you have the solid state power amp with a tube front end.

Did you try the Jazz 120 model, don't touch the power amp section, but swap out the tone stack for the JTM or one of the other amps? You can modify the preamp section at will.

Then you have the solid state power amp with a tube front end.
I assume you're talking about for a starting point for a Dimebag tone?

Here's my current iteration. The cabs I'm using are the York Mesa 4x12 fredman mix and York Mesa 4x12 121-CNT.

I feel like it's in the same ballpark, but it definitely sounds like more of a standard, thought out Recto tone.

Attachments

• RECTO1.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 9
Newer iteration of the same thing. Lots of work taming that Rectifier low end. Same cabs as before on this.

Attachments

• RECTIFIER1.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 9
Back
Top Bottom