OD Pedal suggestions?

guitarcal

Inspired
All,

For years I have used my trusty Boss OD-3 as a clean boost with my strat into a plexi style amp.

I’ve just switched over my pedal board to the FC controller and am trying to replicate this pedal. I run tone and level at noon, and drive at 0, so it acts solely as a clean boost.

Any suggestions to which pedal will get me closest? I’ve tried a few, ts808, bd-2, did-1, lovepedal etc but nothing gets me close. Also tried the amp boost models but not close there either.

Post #4 here describes the history of the pedal and how the pedal relates to a few other boss pedals. http://www.tdpri.com/threads/boss-od-1-evolution.260555/

***Edit***
Also, I used the RTA block and pink noise generator to capture the EQ curve of the OD-3 of the settings mentioned above. Not sure if I can maybe use an EQ block to get similar results?

OD-3PinkNoise.png

Thanks!

Last edited:
Sounds like it's got some PEQ in front, diode clipping gain stage, another diode clipping gain stage, then active EQ, then a final tone control. No way one drive block would do that unless there is one that's modeled that's got all that going on.

Best bet is find out what the gain stages are built with (opamp+diodes), then find a drive block that matches as close to those components as possible. Use one drive block for one gain stage, a second drive block for the other gain stage.

I'm not familiar with that pedal, but if you're using it as a clean boost, try the following drives:

Micro Amp
RCB
SDD
FET Boost

Don't overlook the hi/low cut, drive block EQ and other advanced features to refine the overall EQ curve.

Also, I haven't had much time with them yet, but the new Tone of Kings and the Jan Ray models are in this camp.

All,

For years I have used my trusty Boss OD-3 as a clean boost with my strat into a plexi style amp.

I’ve just switched over my pedal board to the FC controller and am trying to replicate this pedal. I run tone and level at noon, and drive at 0, so it acts solely as a clean boost.

Any suggestions to which pedal will get me closest? I’ve tried a few, ts808, bd-2, did-1, lovepedal etc but nothing gets me close. Also tried the amp boost models but not close there either.

Post #4 here describes the history of the pedal and how the pedal relates to a few other boss pedals. http://www.tdpri.com/threads/boss-od-1-evolution.260555/

***Edit***
Also, I used the RTA block and pink noise generator to capture the EQ curve of the OD-3 of the settings mentioned above. Not sure if I can maybe use an EQ block to get similar results?

View attachment 52975

Thanks!
If it's really similar to the bd2 as said in that discussion, I'd try the 3-knob tube driver

Back
Top Bottom