Octaver and whammy at same time?

elvtnedge

Hey all, is it possible to emulate a 12-string at the same time as emulating a whammy in the FM9? I can’t think of how to do this with only 1 pitch block but I know there’s some very creative people here and some advanced blocks.

Thanks!

I’m pretty creative. Let me think… 🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔 No ;)

We should really have another pitch block. Or maybe separate Virtual Capo and define stuff from POG/Whammy type effects.

It is possible to go through the pitch block twice (left side, then the right side) using the 'Send' and 'Return' blocks, volume blocks, and some panning.

Using a 'Dual Chromatic' model with the Input Mode set to 'Stereo'. Voice 1 (the Left side) could be set to +12, and Voice 2 (the Right side) could be setup with a modifier to act as the Whammy. The Mix would have to be at 100% for the Whammy, so a parallel path around the first pass through the Pitch block would be needed for an 'unpitched' signal for the 12-string sim portion.

I would likely add Filter blocks after the Pitch block (Left) to cut highs for the 12-string sim. And (Right) for the Whammy, tied to the Expression Pedal to reduce the high-end as the pitch is raised?

See sample routing....
Dual Pitch 2.png

It is possible to go through the pitch block twice (left side, then the right side) using the 'Send' and 'Return' blocks, volume blocks, and some panning.

Using a 'Dual Chromatic' model with the Input Mode set to 'Stereo'. Voice 1 (the Left side) could be set to +12, and Voice 2 (the Right side) could be setup with a modifier to act as the Whammy. The Mix would have to be at 100% for the Whammy, so a parallel path around the first pass through the Pitch block would be needed for an 'unpitched' signal for the 12-string sim portion.

I would likely add Filter blocks after the Pitch block (Left) to cut highs for the 12-string sim. And (Right) for the Whammy, tied to the Expression Pedal to reduce the high-end as the pitch is raised?

See sample routing....
View attachment 100104
Wow! So cool! You're on another level 👏👏👏

Using a 'Dual Chromatic' model with the Input Mode set to 'Stereo'. Voice 1 (the Left side) could be set to +12, and Voice 2 (the Right side) could be setup with a modifier to act as the Whammy.
The problem with this is that shift parameters are quantized to half steps (unless this changed since the Axe-FX II) so you won't get a smooth pitch change. The master pitch parameter is continuous but affects both voices, so that doesn't really help either.

One solution might be dual harmony mode, scale type = chromatic. Have the pedal sweep one harmony 1-13 (1 = no shift in this mode) and the other 13-25. Turn up the glide time parameter until the pitch changes smoothly enough during the slowest pedal sweep you plan to use.

The problem with this is that shift parameters are quantized to half steps (unless this changed since the Axe-FX II) so you won't get a smooth pitch change. The master pitch parameter is continuous but affects both voices, so that doesn't really help either.

Agreed

One solution might be dual harmony mode, scale type = chromatic. Have the pedal sweep one harmony 1-13 (1 = no shift in this mode) and the other 13-25. Turn up the glide time parameter until the pitch changes smoothly enough during the slowest pedal sweep you plan to use.

Interesting. Have you tried it?

Interesting. Have you tried it?
Yes. The whammy part sounds okay although it would be better if the pitch glide was linear (like the recent modifier damping option on current devices). Some chords can sound bad since intel. harm. mode doesn't have a poly/smooth pitch detection option. You'd probably want fixed harm. or VC type for rhythm/chord playing when the whammy effect isn't needed.

Just getting around to trying this now. I seem to have some panning issues and not getting the 12 string. For the filter blocks, when you say filter pan left, are you talking about the left and right pan values within the filter block? When I pan things left I get no signal. I've even tried using the left and right pan and playing around with those values and nothing. Dumb question here but do I need to be running this patch in Stereo? I run my patches in mono

Just getting around to trying this now. I seem to have some panning issues and not getting the 12 string. For the filter blocks, when you say filter pan left, are you talking about the left and right pan values within the filter block? When I pan things left I get no signal. I've even tried using the left and right pan and playing around with those values and nothing. Dumb question here but do I need to be running this patch in Stereo? I run my patches in mono
I don't know the details of the setup, but since panning adjusts the position of signals in a stereo field, yes you need to use stereo to hear the effects of panning.

In the Filter blocks, the "pan" control is labeled as 'Balance'. The pitch block must be set to Stereo input. Also, make sure that the VolPan blocks have their input set to 'Left' or 'Right' as per the screenshot.

I never tested this setup. It was just a theory. Use @Bakerman's suggestions on the Pitch block model and settings from above

Once the signal path hits the Amp block, it is collapsed to a mono signal, so any panning done before that point is irrelevant. The only thing that could be considered "stereo", would be any stereo effects that you add after the Amp block (Chorus, Delay, Reverb, etc..)

P.S. If you still can't get it working, post (or P.M.) your current attempt (preset) and firmware version used.

Last edited:
Ok so I had a crazier thought and think this could work. Is it possible to have a pitch block set to channel A using dual pitch let’s say for 12 string sound and then do an auto engage to change to channel b of the pitch block when I move my expression pedal forward which would engage the whammy sound? So basically it auto switches channels by using the expression pedal as I don’t need 12 string at the exact same time as whammy.

Thoughts??

• You specifically said "at the same time" in the original post.;)
  • You can't change block channels via 'Auto-Engage'.
  • You can however use a scene change to change Pitch block channels.
  • You can also use a switch to toggle between the two channels.
  • It may be possible (via 'Auto-Engage' of a couple of extra blocks?) to setup a Whammy model as a 40-50% mix 12-string sim, then change to a 100% mix Whammy when you move your pedal.

• You specifically said "at the same time" in the original post.;)
  • You can't change block channels via 'Auto-Engage'.
  • You can however use a scene change to change Pitch block channels.
  • You can also use a switch to toggle between the two channels.
  • It may be possible (via 'Auto-Engage' of a couple of extra blocks?) to setup a Whammy model as a 40-50% mix 12-string sim, then change to a 100% mix Whammy when you move your pedal.
Sorry what I meant is not having to change scenes by hitting a button as I alternate the 12 string and whammy about a dozen times in the tune.

Ok so I had a crazier thought and think this could work. Is it possible to have a pitch block set to channel A using dual pitch let’s say for 12 string sound and then do an auto engage to change to channel b of the pitch block when I move my expression pedal forward which would engage the whammy sound? So basically it auto switches channels by using the expression pedal as I don’t need 12 string at the exact same time as whammy.

Thoughts??
Auto engage cannot change channels.

Back
Top Bottom