Octave divider low cut??

Bodde

Fractal Fanatic
I find the Octave Divider too dark for my taste. The character of the sound is good but just too muddy. I was trying to compensate that with the low cut. But the low cut doesn't have any effect at all when moving the low cut 'knob' from 0-100%. Or maybe very very little and hardly audible. Whereas in the fixed harmony algo you can clearly hear the effect of the low cut.

I don't think it is a bug because it was always like that. But why is the low cut not doing anything with the octave divider? Would be really useful too make it less dark.

Not near my unit to try it out, but couldn't you just use the "Mix" control to achieve the same end?

I don't think it is a bug because it was always like that. But why is the low cut not doing anything with the octave divider? Would be really useful too make it less dark.

I'll have to check it when I'm home to see if mine works. Maybe you could run the octave parallel with mix 100% then add a PEQ after to cut some lows?

That is an option but that is a bit of a workaround when we have low cut in the block. What I don't understand is why the low cut doesn't have any effect.

That is an option but that is a bit of a workaround when we have low cut in the block. What I don't understand is why the low cut doesn't have any effect.
IIRC low cut is on the input signal, not the output. It's used to tailor the tracking and triggering.

Not sure if I understand this. Why is the low cut in the octave divider different from the low cut in the fixed harmony?

Not sure if I understand this. Why is the low cut in the octave divider different from the low cut in the fixed harmony?
I'm incorrect. The manual says: Low Cut, High Cut – These filter the wet signal only, gently rolling off lows or highs with a slope of 6db.

I'm not near my III to check, but if low cut has no apparent impact on the octave sound's output, it could be a bug.

I'm incorrect. The manual says: Low Cut, High Cut – These filter the wet signal only, gently rolling off lows or highs with a slope of 6db.

I'm not near my III to check, but if low cut has no apparent impact on the octave sound's output, it could be a bug.

Yes that’s how it is supposed to work. But I don’t hear much happening with low cut in the Octave divider. It never did. Run into the same thing two years ago. Can someone check it for me? Thanks.

Nobody had a chance to check this out? Maybe people don't use the octave divider as much?

You can check it very easily by setting mix to 100% and fiddle with the low cut. I don't hear anything happening.

Just used fixed harmony set to an octave and set the second one at 0. This way you get the same result and the low cut will work.

You can check it very easily by setting mix to 100% and fiddle with the low cut. I don't hear anything happening.

Correct, it's been stated that Low and High Cut are not operational for that mode.

Last edited:
Just used fixed harmony set to an octave and set the second one at 0. This way you get the same result and the low cut will work.

That won't be the same. Octave divider mode gives a synth-like tone with odd harmonics only, like a filtered square wave.

Back
Top Bottom