Octave Distortion Block Sustain

plasmatic

Does anyone have a tip/trick to getting more sustain out of this block? It seems like the notes decay pretty quickly (noise gate(s) are off). This might be how it is supposed to respond, but I wanted to ask. Thanks!

it needs a lot of fundamental signal to hum right, that's why it really likes the neck pickup and playing above the 12th fret, and really sings when you roll the guitar tone knob down. if it's not working down low on the neck or with the bridge pickup it just needs more level into the block input. (another reason why it would be helpful to have a trim knob on the drive block gain, instant 20db boost without needing additional EQ or Vol blocks)

it needs a lot of fundamental signal to hum right, that's why it really likes the neck pickup and playing above the 12th fret, and really sings when you roll the guitar tone knob down. if it's not working down low on the neck or with the bridge pickup it just needs more level into the block input. (another reason why it would be helpful to have a trim knob on the drive block gain, instant 20db boost without needing additional EQ or Vol blocks)
I put a null filter block in parallel going into the Oct Dist block and boosted the filter output by 6db and that did help the sustain overall. It would be cool to have the boost within the block like you describe. Also, if you put the PI Fuzz after the Oct Dist they sound killer together! Drive around 3ish on both and they combine for some cool stuff. I turn the filter boost off when they are both on because it compresses too much.

Why in parallel?

I prefer to leave the gain on the Octave Distortion fairly low and feed it into another drive block.

Would the Drive block's graphic EQ set to pre allow for an input boost and then lower the same block's Level to compensate? There's 12dB available ...

Last edited:
if you want to adjust 10 sliders to get a 12db boost i guess, it still wouldn't be a clean boost, that EQ is probably the var EQ, everything below 100 and above 6400 would still be at 0db. drive block input trim is straight level boost in front of the drive knob, either up or down, since the drive pot has different gain and filtering characteristics at different points, input trim lets you highlight wherever it sounds best just like on the amps

Why in parallel?

I prefer to leave the gain on the Octave Distortion fairly low and feed it into another drive block.

I leave the gain fairly low as well. I had put a shunt in parallel first since that adds 3dB (I believe) and that wasn't enough and didn't leave me control over level when not using the Oct Dist block. Then I used that shunt to put the Filter block in and adjusted level from there. So, no particular reason that's just where I started. I could get the same results in series.

I leave the gain fairly low as well. I had put a shunt in parallel first since that adds 3dB (I believe) and that wasn't enough and didn't leave me control over level when not using the Oct Dist block. Then I used that shunt to put the Filter block in and adjusted level from there. So, no particular reason that's just where I started. I could get the same results in series.
Ok... It's 6dB, just FYI

I'm on the road today/tonight. Let me know if it works! Obviously not perfect, but perhaps it will suffice for now without having to get additional blocks involved..
Using the block's graphic EQ "pre" at 12 across the board works like a charm for what I'm trying to do! I can actually roll my volume off and control it better with that on. Attached a scene controller and have the Pre EQ on when it's on by itself and off when I turn the second Fuzz on downstream with it.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom