OCD Duo? Has anyone seen this? Interesting.

Unfortunately, Stand-In Switch assignment is not found in Axe Edit. It has to be set on the front panel. Check the manual's section on Stand-In switches. Basically you assign your external switch to "stand in" for an existing switch in one of the nine FC layouts. So in your case, you'd assign something like "FM9 SW3 Tip" to something like say Layout 4, Switch 12 (or which ever layout/switch you have available). You'd then go to edit FC Layout 4 in Axe Edit and assign whatever tap and hold functions you need on Switch 12 and your external switch will then activate those when pressed or held.

Unfortunately, Stand-In Switch assignment is not found in Axe Edit. It has to be set on the front panel. Check the manual's section on Stand-In switches. Basically you assign your external switch to "stand in" for an existing switch in one of the nine FC layouts. So in your case, you'd assign something like "FM9 SW3 Tip" to something like say Layout 4, Switch 12 (or which ever layout/switch you have available). You'd then go to edit FC Layout 4 in Axe Edit and assign whatever tap and hold functions you need on Switch 12 and your external switch will then activate those when pressed or held.
Thanks. That makes sense. Sorry if I had to grill you there...was trying to be as specific as possible without my sounding a tad dense...

A stand-in switch is a regular switch, but activated by an external switch.

Make a switch assignment just like it was going on a FC:
Screen%20Shot%202021-09-21%20at%207.43.38%20PM.png

You can even use per-preset overrides and they'll work:
Screen%20Shot%202021-09-21%20at%207.43.44%20PM.png

Then go in the setup menus on the unit: FC Controllers > Stand-in Switches and select the switch and point it at the Layout and Switch definition you just set up:
0921211944_HDR.jpg

The two "empty" assignments in this pic are the ones with the per-preset overrides.

HTH!

Thank you, that's helpful. I think I'll not try overriding any global switches, but can easily see how a preset toggle/hold could be used for scrolling through preset banks.

In your third image, do SW1 and SW 2 correspond to the same preset switch (with momentary/latching control switches for toggle/hold)? Or does one need to alter the "Control Switch" on the right in SW1 from momentary to latching?

Thank you, that's helpful. I think I'll not try overriding any global switches, but can easily see how a preset toggle/hold could be used for scrolling through preset banks.

YW! HTH! Here, the term "global switches" indicates that the switch is a regular layout switch, which will appear in every preset. The per-preset overrides are set up so you can override an unwanted switch in a particular preset. Say you have Chorus1 effect on/off on switch #3 in a layout, and you use chorus a lot, but on one particular preset, you use flanger instead. You can, just for that preset, use the same switch that is your Chorus switch everywhere else as your Flanger switch by using a Per-Preset Override to tell the FC you want this other switch there instead. They are configured in the Per-Preset FC page, accessed via the button next to the FC Controllers button.

In your third image, do SW1 and SW 2 correspond to the same preset switch (with momentary/latching control switches for toggle/hold)? Or does one need to alter the "Control Switch" on the right in SW1 from momentary to latching?

The first two in the menu correspond to the two purples in the layout - CS #1 is latching, CS#2 is momentary. They act in concert to control rotary speed, and are assigned to work with two neighboring stand-in switches, to save wear and tear on the FC and make them easier to step on (they are under the pedalboard, in front of the green FC). They are both tap functions with no hold functions. I can step on the momentary switch and speed it up (or slow it down) for just a second or three, and as soon as I lift off the switch, it starts spinning down (or speeding up again), or I can use the latching switch if I want to keep it running at whichever speed for a long time. The two switches work together kinda like the two switches at the ends of a hall or stairway.

The setup to do that looks like this:
Screen%20Shot%202021-09-21%20at%208.51.37%20PM.png

The two pink ones are PPOs (which can be different things in each preset) and are assigned to the second pair of stand-in switches under the green FC's pedalboard.

The two green ones are set up to tap +/- 1 preset, or hold for +/- 4, They worked with the dual switch under the red FC's pedalboard, until very recently, but my rig is changing around a bit with the new FM9....

Last week's setup:
0718212309a_HDR.jpg

Coming soon:
0918211620_HDR.jpg

Last edited:
YW! HTH! Here, the term "global switches" indicates that the switch is a regular layout switch, which will appear in every preset. The per-preset overrides are set up so you can override an unwanted switch in a particular preset. Say you have Chorus1 effect on/off on switch #3 in a layout, and you use chorus a lot, but on one particular preset, you use flanger instead. You can, just for that preset, use the same switch that is your Chorus switch everywhere else as your Flanger switch by using a Per-Preset Override to tell the FC you want this other switch there instead. They are configured in the Per-Preset FC page, accessed via the button next to the FC Controllers button.

The first two in the menu correspond to the two purples in the layout - CS #1 is latching, CS#2 is momentary. They act in concert to control rotary speed, and are assigned to work with two neighboring stand-in switches, to save wear and tear on the FC and make them easier to step on (they are under the pedalboard, in front of the green FC). They are both tap functions with no hold functions. I can step on the momentary switch and speed it up (or slow it down) for just a second or three, and as soon as I lift off the switch, it starts spinning down (or speeding up again), or I can use the latching switch if I want to keep it running at whichever speed for a long time. The two switches work together kinda like the two switches at the ends of a hall or stairway.

The setup to do that looks like this:
Screen%20Shot%202021-09-21%20at%208.51.37%20PM.png

The two pink ones are PPOs (which can be different things in each preset) and are assigned to the second pair of stand-in switches under the green FC's pedalboard.

The two green ones are set up to tap +/- 1 preset, or hold for +/- 4, They worked with the dual switch under the red FC's pedalboard, until very recently, but my rig is changing around a bit with the new FM9....

Last week's setup:
0718212309a_HDR.jpg

Coming soon:
0918211620_HDR.jpg
Joe,

Thanks for all of this, but a quick question repeated to the OP. Would connecting a ¼" TRS plug > 2x ¼" TS plugs enable the Otter Design Duo OCD to work for the FM9? I realize that the Duo OCD is designed for the FM3/FC families; was just wondering if the cabling method I asked about would work for the FM9?

Joe,

Thanks for all of this, but a quick question repeated to the OP. Would connecting a ¼" TRS plug > 2x ¼" TS plugs enable the Otter Design Duo OCD to work for the FM9? I realize that the Duo OCD is designed for the FM3/FC families; was just wondering if the cabling method I asked about would work for the FM9?
Yes it will work, and leave one socket free on the FM9 for a single expression pedal.

Yes it will work, and leave one socket free on the FM9 for a single expression pedal.
TY! That may have to happen with my Temple board. Sacrifice one EV-1 so a Duo OCD+ can make its way to the board. Currently own 2 EV-1s. Will post one for sale on eBay the end of this month, likely the silver (discontinued) one.

Joe,

Yes. The cable you describe is referred to as an "Insert" cable, and is used in the studio for patching stuff inline in a channel. Tip of the TRS goes to the tip of one TS plug and ring goes to the tip of the other TS plug, sleeve goes to both....

Last edited:
TY! That may have to happen with my Temple board. Sacrifice one EV-1 so a Duo OCD+ can make its way to the board. Currently own 2 EV-1s. Will post one for sale on eBay the end of this month, likely the silver (discontinued) one.
I am moving all my controller pedals off to an ExpressionIO MIDI controller so they can be shared between FM9 and FX3 and even recorded by Logic when tracking guitars....

I think I might try building a small enclosure that will fit 2 normally closed momentary footswitches. (see: Love My Switches online) and attaching the enclosure via Temple adhesive secured to the board. Will need to sacrifice a TS>TS cable (cut in half, wiring used to connect the switches) and feed the wiring through a drilled enclosure bottom hole placed over where the Temple board allows larger cable feed.

The switches would be grounded to the FM9. Two switches were ordered as well as a soldering kit and 12mm drill bit for the switch diameters (will need a few quick YT soldering lessons). All I'll need is a day or two to put things together (my first foray into soldering/enclosure building).

Only thing that could go wrong is needing a 2nd TS>TS cable if somehow things go sideways. Will try and document this w/ images and commentary in the next several weeks...

Would it be possible on FM9 to arrange that on one switch is the change of scenes and presets, and on the other for effects? Thanks

Last edited:
Hola, alguien que tenga una pedalera de cuatro interruptores en concreto la OCD Quad y la haya podido configurar con la FM3???

Back
Top Bottom