OCD Duo? Has anyone seen this? Interesting.

Anyone see this? Kind of interesting. In the world of FM9, I wonder what advantage two extra switches would have?

https://www.ottercustomdesign.com/product-page/ocd-duo-for-fractal-audio-fc-6-fc-12-fm-3
I think you're right, it is kind of interesting. I think it might work if I could space my 2x EV-1s on a Temple Duo 34 board tighter together and further to one side, but would need to be sure the Duo OCD could fit to the left of the FM9. Have bookmarked this thread for future reference. Thanks for the heads-up!

I think you're right, it is kind of interesting. I think it might work if I could space my 2x EV-1s on a Temple Duo 34 board tighter together and further to one side, but would need to be sure the Duo OCD could fit to the left of the FM9. Have bookmarked this thread for future reference. Thanks for the heads-up!

But the FM9 can only do one external switch with 2 expression pedals - so your paying for a switch you cant use.

I got one about a year ago, I have it on a board where I alternate my FC6 and FM3.
Works great, I mainly use one switch for tap and tuner and the other to switch between scenes and effects layouts

Doesn't do anything a Mosky pedal, or any other similar pedal can't do but the design works with the Fractals own design

I built similar for my fc6 a year or so ago, seems not quite as needed on the 9 since it’s already got 9 switches, and of course on the fm3 i wouldn’t want to give up my exp pedals.... really like the added switches on the fc6 though and I also added a knob

Guess if you wanted a fm11 it would be handy too lol
1A65E89B-9019-44A0-B3F9-70DA30CEC020.jpeg

Last edited:
I built similar for my fc6 a year or so ago, seems not quite as needed on the 9 since it’s already got 9 switches, and of course on the fm3 i wouldn’t want to give up my exp pedals.... really like the added switches on the fc6 though and I also added a knob

View attachment 88922

Wow, you are a talented guy!! Great job!

But the FM9 can only do one external switch with 2 expression pedals - so your paying for a switch you cant use.
How does the Duo OCD connect? One TRS>TRS, yes? The 2 EV-1s on my board could also sport one Duo OCD, making for 2 extra switches, possibly for either latching or momentary (toggle/hold) making possible for switching between Input Gain, or maybe a Cut or Fat.

The Duo OCD, IIRC, does not connect via dual TRS cables, instead, just one. I'd use the 2 extra switches for things that weren't designated for regular switches, in order to free up regular switches that would need to be accessed from one layout.

If it were possible, I'd designate the 2 OCD footswitches as global switches that could be used for each preset, layout and scene.

Last edited:

View attachment 88922
I like that you secured the Duo to the FC6 with the original screws. Did you use a pre-cut piece of sheet metal to create the metal tabs that hold the units together? If not, how?

I like the idea of a Fm11. Fm9 is a nice chord, but you know...

Keep in mind that the pedal ports on the FM9 are like the ones on the Axe III rear panel and only support 1 switch each, unlike the FM3 and FC units which supports 2 switches per port.
So a Duo OCD for an FM9 would only allow for one useful switch? Ay caramba. Yup. Just verified. Unless a FC or FM3 unit were involved, the use for either a Axe III or FM9 would not fly.

Last edited:
No, you'd just have to split the TRS cable to dual TS connections and use two pedal ports in the FM9 or Axe III.
If Otter Audio Design could create a single switch similar to the switches on all FC and the FM3 units (essentially, a toggle/hold switch), that would still work for my needs. AND, if the cost were less than the 2-button Duo OCD, it would work with one TRS cable. Hello, Otter R&D...?

EDIT: Just sent Otter Design an email request for Axe III and FM9 owners. Response soon, we hope...

Last edited:
I like that you secured the Duo to the FC6 with the original screws. Did you use a pre-cut piece of sheet metal to create the metal tabs that hold the units together? If not, how?

I like the idea of a Fm11. Fm9 is a nice chord, but you know...

Mine is actually made of wood and painted black. Cost maybe $10 in parts total including the switches

Just took the rubber side off the FC6 and added it the little extension I made.

I also did a 4 switch one but it was kind of overkill

I made a whole thread about the build step by step. Was pretty easy with just hand tools

Mine is actually made of wood and painted black. Cost maybe $10 in parts total including the switches

Just took the rubber side off the FC6 and added it the little extension I made.

I also did a 4 switch one but it was kind of overkill

I made a whole thread about the build step by step. Was pretty easy with just hand tools
Gonna go out on a limb...

You don't happen to have the forum link to that thread, by chance, do you? Parts, materials, technique, etc?

EDIT: Found it, thanks.

Last edited:
If Otter Audio Design could create a single switch similar to the switches on all FC and the FM3 units (essentially, a toggle/hold switch), that would still work for my needs. AND, if the cost were less than the 2-button Duo OCD, it would work with one TRS cable. Hello, Otter R&D...?

EDIT: Just sent Otter Design an email request for Axe III and FM9 owners. Response soon, we hope...
Single switches don't need TRS cables. That is only for dual switch ports, which the FM9 does not support. Use regular TS cables for single switches. If you have a dual switch that has a TRS output, then you'll need a Stereo TRS to dual mono TS splitter cable to separate the tip and ring contacts to separate TS plugs.

If you need a hold function, assign the external switch as a Stand-In switch. That can mimic the functions of any switch in one of your FC layouts, including any assigned hold functions. The only limitation is you have to use a momentary physical switch. You cannot have a usable hold function with a latching switch.

Last edited:
Single switches don't need TRS cables. That is only for dual switch ports, which the FM9 does not support. Use regular TS cables for single switches. If you have a dual switch that has a TRS output, then you'll need a Stereo TRS to dual mono TS splitter cable to separate the tip and ring contacts to separate TS plugs.

If you need a hold function, assign the external switch as a Stand-In switch. That can mimic the functions of any switch in one of your FC layouts, including any assigned hold functions. The only limitation is you have to use a momentary physical switch. You cannot have a usable hold function with a latching switch.
I think I need to be more specific...

I've got 2 EV-1s Expression Pedals that use TRS cable, which will connect to both Pedal 1 & Pedal 2 jacks. Pedal 3 jack will need to connect to a single switch.

Are there toggle/hold type of switches parts available for us like the FM9/III units use? Correct me if I might be mistaken; the switch would need to be momentary for toggle, is the hold feature possible with the same momentary switch (if it were assignable) available via TRS cable connected to the FM9? Or would a simple TS cable work for both toggle/hold?

No. If you want a hold function, you have to assign the switch as a Stand-In switch. External switches do not have hold functions of their own, but they can activate the hold function of FC layout switches when used as Stand-In switches. Any simple momentary or latching switch will work with the Pedal jacks of the FM9 and Axe III and you only need a TS cable to connect it. However, a momentary switch will be much more flexible and will allow you to use hold functions when used as a Stand-In switch.

No. If you want a hold function, you have to assign the switch as a Stand-In switch. External switches do not have hold functions of their own, but they can activate the hold function of FC layout switches when used as Stand-In switches. Any simple momentary or latching switch will work with the Pedal jacks of the FM9 and Axe III and you only need a TS cable to connect it. However, a momentary switch will be much more flexible and will allow you to use hold functions when used as a Stand-In switch.
Thank you! As a request, could you show a screenshot of whatever device you own that display the Stand-In switch in either FM3/III-Edit, so I'll understand how to set up the switch once it will be built?

And perhaps this is what I'm hoping to nail down...it seems that I'll only be able to build a single momentary footswitch enclosure with TS jacks and TS cable. Something tells me this cannot be a dual function footswitch with toggle/hold.

I understand that a momentary switch used as a Stand-In can provide the hold feature. Will assigning the momentary switch as Stand-In also allow toggle ability, or will the switch only be able to do toggle or hold, but not both?

Sorry if I'm not getting this. Just trying to make it work out for both functions...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom