Occam's Razor tone tip

yek

Contact Fractal for your Custom Title
"Occam's Razor is a line of reasoning that says the simplest answer is often correct."

I was trying to create an ultra-funky clean tone for a particular tune.
Messed with compressors, various amp models, EQ, etc. etc.

Then I remembered Nile Rodgers's trick. He mixes a clean amp with a direct-input signal.

So I switched to my usual clean tone (58F Tweed), and split the signal behind the Amp block into two rows.
#1 is the usual with the Cab block etc.
#2 consists of shunts straight to the output, without Cab modeling, with a single VOL block just to decrease that row's level with a couple of dBs.

And there you go. As simple as that. Picked up my Strat and couldn't stop playing Prince, Daft Punk, and so on.

Last edited:
Rush's song, "Fly By Night" was a guitar recorded direct to the board as well for the clean tone.
Good simple solution to the issue!

"Occam's Razor is a line of reasoning that says the simplest answer is often correct."

I was trying to create an ultra-funky clean tone for a particular tune.
Messed with compressors, various amp models, EQ, etc. etc.

Then I remembered Nile Rodgers's trick. He mixes a clean amp with a direct-input signal.

So I switched to my usual clean tone (58F Tweed), and split the signal behind the Amp block into two rows.
#1 is the usual with the Cab block etc.
#2 consists of shunts straight to the output, without Cab modeling, with a single VOL block just to decrease that row's level with a couple of dBs.

And there you go. As simple as that. Picked up my Strat and couldn't stop playing Prince, Daft Punk, and so on.
Isn't that the Air parameter in the cab block for? Could you use that to have the same result? Thanks for the tip.

Isn't that the Air parameter in the cab block for? Could you use that to have the same result? Thanks for the tip.

Indeed. But even with Air at 100% the effect isn't as intense as a row of shunts.

On the axechange search for Niles. I made a preset that works really well for his tone with no amp. I use it live for Get Lucky.

This is the same configuration I use to track DI guitar/bass track simultaneously. Stereo output, push one all the way left, the other all the way right. Super simple, super easy!

Back
Top Bottom