NYC Dancing law

addedc

Experienced
I recently read a news article that until now, New York City banned dancing in bars unless they had a cabaret license, which only a couple dozen hold. I don't remember that from when I lived there in the 80's (but then I don't remember much).

We always want to get the audience dancing, so I am curious for musicians gigging in the City, did this used to affect how you would play a show? If things start cooking and the audience starts getting up, would you, say, pull out some Nickleback, or selects from Sonic Youth?

I've never heard of this before in any city (which doesn't mean much) but, if I were involved in something like this - I would just play how we normally play and let the people do what they are going to do. Music does what it does - and I think if people are going to dance, they are going to dance - unless the chairs have some type of restraint on them. lol. I always think it's odd when people get up and dance to the songs I play in my acoustic duo - there's not drums or bass, yet people still seem to feel it. Cool, but odd. :)

Now I gotta cut loose
Footloose, kick off the Sunday shoes
Please, Louise, pull me off of my knees
Jack, get back, come on before we crack
Lose your blues, everybody cut footloose

I find this quite interesting. In the canton of Aargau (Switzerland), cantonal law cite a so called "dancing ban" (German "Tanzverbot"). All bars and clubs must close at 12:15 AM on religious holidays like Eastern, Whitsun, Christmas etc. Last attempt to change the legislation failed several years ago.

Back
Top Bottom