NUX MG300 vs FM3 Comparison

OrganicZed

Fractal Fanatic
I think this was one of the best modeler comparison videos I have ever seen. It demonstrates the way these two modelers react to pick attack and dynamics relative to a real amp. I'd doubt that anyone would honestly be deciding between these two products when shopping, but it is a great demonstration of the old adage that you get what you pay for.

Cool comparison. But that’s not even close as how good the FM3 can sound in a “Marshall” type tone

I don't think the point was to get the best tone, but to get the tone as close to the reference amp using only basic parameters. I suspect that he could have gotten the tone much closer if he had adjusted some of the advanced parameters.

A JCM800 is heavily dependent on the load. No idea what he used for a load box but that is likely the reason it was brighter. The other thing is you have to be careful when using load boxes. A lot of times they create high frequency resonances that increase the impedance seen by the amp or create strange feedback paths. You have to be VERY careful with grounding and cable lengths. Using isolation transformers helps. I learned this lesson the hard way years ago and have spent a lot of time making sure when I use a load box to do amp measurements everything is as close to perfect as possible.

In the comments he said he was using a Surh reactive load.
Those are good but I suspect he's a got some cabling issues causing a high frequency resonance. Either that or he has the MV higher on the models which reduces the high end.

I'd drag our JCM800 out of storage and do a proper comparison but it's heavy and I'm tired from 4 hours at the gym yesterday...

In my personal experience the few amps I’ve been able to directly compare were dead on, so no doubts there.

Those are good but I suspect he's a got some cabling issues causing a high frequency resonance. Either that or he has the MV higher on the models which reduces the high end.

I'd drag our JCM800 out of storage and do a proper comparison but it's heavy and I'm tired from 4 hours at the gym yesterday...
Speaking as a gym rat myself: What the heck did you do for 4 HOURS at the gym?

Where you lost? Towel fight in the locker room? Replacing all the cables for the sound system with directional ones for a more efficient workout?

Speaking as a gym rat myself: What the heck did you do for 4 HOURS at the gym?

Where you lost? Towel fight in the locker room? Replacing all the cables for the sound system with directional ones for a more efficient workout?
I only did 3 1/2 hour last night. Hurt my foot. Hope it's not a stress fracture.

Hadn’t heard of that Nux MG300 before but my god when he starts that dynamic level test it sounds like it has ring mod attached to the sound. Granted I am listening through my phone speakers

I should add that the reference amp used for our model is a Canadian Export version (with the "bat handle" power switches). We have two JCM800s and this particular amp sounds way better than the regular one with the rocker type power switches. It's not as harsh with a warmer high end.

I should add that the reference amp used for our model is a Canadian Export version (with the "bat handle" power switches). We have two JCM800s and this particular amp sounds way better than the regular one with the rocker type power switches. It's not as harsh with a warmer high end.

I got a chance to play through one of the Canadian JCM800s a few years ago - it was glorious.

Back
Top Bottom