Nut Issue PRS DGT 2020

Purplestrats

Inspired
I just bought a new PRS DGT, and while it is certainly a nice guitar, I’m disappointed with this nut. The grooves seem too shallow and the action too high on the first fret. Most of the strings go sharp when I use the trem, so there seems to be some binding in the nut also. Any DGT owners here who can confirm if this is normal factory spec for this model?

Attachments

• 1B59FB52-D9D8-4CCE-86C6-4EB26D333448.jpeg
    1B59FB52-D9D8-4CCE-86C6-4EB26D333448.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 48
  • 88C6313B-38C5-4078-BC2D-0A5FB85D9BC5.jpeg
    88C6313B-38C5-4078-BC2D-0A5FB85D9BC5.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 48
Last edited:
What guage strings are on it? I think PRS are setup for 10-46 out of the factory... With thicker strings it might require adjusting.

If you pull each string up out of the nut slot they should come out without "catching".

What guage strings are on it? I think PRS are setup for 10-46 out of the factory... With thicker strings it might require adjusting.

If you pull each string up out of the nut slot they should come out without "catching".

It still has the factory strings and setup (11-49).

I’d just like to find out if David Grissom likes his guitars set up with an abnormally high action at the nut for some reason. Lol

I don't think the groove on that low E looks shallow. To measure the nut, press down on the 3d fret and look for the gap between the string and the first fret. There should be daylight, but not much more.

Complaining about the nut in a new guitar is like complaining about the seat and mirrors not being perfectly positioned in your new car for your specific weight and height when it comes from the factory...

All guitars (ALL OF THEM) come with ridiculously high nuts from the factory...(unless its a custom order)..so you can further customize it to your needs without having to buy a new nut.
Everyone should always include in their budget the price of a full setup by a trusted luthier when they buy a guitar.
While there are some steps in a guitar set-up you can do yourself easily, most people don't have or want to spend 100-150$ in specialized gauged nut files to make/fix a nut.

tip: put graphite in the nut slots to avoid binding (if the slots are already the correct size for the string gauge of course)

Not the norm for a PRS core model. take it to an authorized PRS tech. If its not in spec theyll take care of it under warranty.

Complaining about the nut in a new guitar is like complaining about the seat and mirrors not being perfectly positioned in your new car for your specific weight and height when it comes from the factory...

All guitars (ALL OF THEM) come with ridiculously high nuts from the factory...(unless its a custom order)..so you can further customize it to your needs without having to buy a new nut.
Everyone should always include in their budget the price of a full setup by a trusted luthier when they buy a guitar.
While there are some steps in a guitar set-up you can do yourself easily, most people don't have or want to spend 100-150$ in specialized gauged nut files to make/fix a nut.

tip: put graphite in the nut slots to avoid binding (if the slots are already the correct size for the string gauge of course)

That is a ridiculous comparison. All guitars do not come with high nuts from the factory. None of my other higher end guitars have had this issue. Your analogy completely misses the mark. If I was complaining that the guitar wasn’t in TUNE when I got it, and I wanted Paul Reed Smith to come tune it up for me, that would indeed be the same as buying a new car and complaining about the adjustment of the seats and mirrors.

The luthier I regularly go to will fix the issue and the dealer will foot the bill, that is neither here nor there. I asked if there are any DGT owners on here who had the same issue, that’s all.

I was under the impression that the guitar would leave the factory with 10 46 but check the speck sheet.
This would also suggest that there is far too much relief and this would account for a high nut. If you set the relief to half the thickness of your high E the action over the first fret will be corrected if this was indeed the problem. Also make sure the strings have less the one turn around the tuners and are properly locked . The nut is usually very well set on a PRS and I've never had this problem in the shop. I suspect the guitar is set up for 10s and the strings are not correctly installed.

To address your question; I have not. Mine came with (and still has) 11's and was setup perfectly. Surprising how easily it plays with 11's

Mine actually plays very easy with the 11s too. I'm fairly sure all the tech has to do is file the grooves a bit deeper and all will be well. I talked to a 2020 DGT owner on another forum that also had the same issue, though his nut was not quite as high as mine. I think a set of 10's would be too light for me on this guitar, considering the huge frets.

If it came with 11s it could still have way too much relief and the strings may not be installed in a way that is conducive to trem performance. Start here but this in not usual with a PRS unless some Shop has had a go or the weather required adjustment. A set up from a competent person should do it.

Mine actually plays very easy with the 11s too. I'm fairly sure all the tech has to do is file the grooves a bit deeper and all will be well. I talked to a 2020 DGT owner on another forum that also had the same issue, though his nut was not quite as high as mine. I think a set of 10's would be too light for me on this guitar, considering the huge frets.
I would make sure the relief is right first. Never cut a nut without doing the whole set up first or you may end up needing to replace it.

Back
Top Bottom