"Null Filter" or Volume for solo boost?

Random Hero

Inspired
I see some people using the "Null Filter" option... is there any particular reason for this, over using the regular volume boost?

How about advantages over the GEQ block? I use this to boost some mid frequencies as well as the volume. I haven't looked at the Null Filter yet so any responses would be helpful!

I use the null filter in most presets, but honestly that is just because its what I've used since I started on the Axe FX years ago. There are so many more options now that I should revisit this choice.

I've used the Filter block for boost but have since discovered the many possibilities of the Control Switch which requires no additional block therefore uses no additional CPU. The GEQ is the best option though if you want to shape the tone in a specific way.

Any of the options will work for you, depending on what you want. If you already have a Vol block in your preset, you could assign the level to a controller and get a "null boost" w/ no additional CPU. If you want to shape the tone, then the Filter or one of the EQ types works. (you could also use any of those blocks set flat except for the level boost too). You could also boost using the level in the Cab block if you wanted.

I’m new to AX8 but I found a preset that used Control Switch to increase the output of the Cabinet by +3db

For consistency (and inherent laziness) I prefer the PEQ for boosting and a whole slew of pickup tone enhancements. While amp block, GEQ, etc. are useful and quick and easy - so is the PEQ if its just a simple boost: But: when the tone needs more finesse*: it's ready to go for exacting control over not just the gain, but the center frequency and Q (bandwidth). Plus, since there are up to 5 bands, it allows you to both high and low pass the boost as needed; to basically sculpt the boost to do whatever you please: to fatten up a bridge single coil for the solo, to add bite to specific upper mid frequencies with a humbucker, or to cut mid thickness out of the neck pickup for an alternative rhythm tone, and so on. With a particularly resonant semi-hollow guitar or with P90s (as examples), you can add in a narrow band of attenuation to keep inherent resonances in check. Yes, there is a learning curve to parametric equalizers: but so worth while for precise tailoring of guitar to amp, when you need to go beyond basic amp gain and tone controls.

In a similar vein, the Drive Block EQ adjustments have extended flexibility over their hardware incarnations when you want a dirt pedal to do the dirty work: Changing the range of the EQ, in say a Tube Screamer or whatever, can be set to have a bit more or less bass to better hit the amp the way you want.

*Eg: This can be useful in some high gain situations in reducing high end hash or fizz - by means of amp distortion harmonics being generated from a more precisely targeted range of the pickup signal than what the guitar volume and tone controls allow.

Last edited:
I use the null filter for some presets and the output block for others. I just use my ears as my guide. Not very scientific or technical but it works for me.

Back
Top Bottom