NPD: ADA MP-1

Ben Randolph

Power User
Non-Fractal content. I couldn't resist getting nostalgic and picked up this ADA MP-1 preamp. It sounds shockingly good! Takes pedals like a champ!

I'd be really nice to see this modeled on the AxeFX one day. Leon Todd has a great video of matching it by ear using the Big Hair amp model.

Attachments

• lqu5axq2fxrjkrc9w6s0.jpg
    lqu5axq2fxrjkrc9w6s0.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 31
  • qquntunywupn7ascfous.jpg
    qquntunywupn7ascfous.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 34
I've purchased 5 of them in the last 8 years

0/5 of any of them working right... and just ebay'd them for parts

someday....

They're going up in price. You might hang onto them and sell them later.

I was actually thinking of picking up a non-working MP-1 for donor parts. Parts are hard to come by for these units these days.

I'll keep my eye out. All it will take is a big name guitar player to drag one out of the closet and go on tour and get featured in a rig rundown.... then BAM I'm going on a cruise baby ;)

Last edited:
Sold mine just a few months ago. I had the 1/2 stack split stack. Speakers went to California, MP1 went to Indiana, and B200S went to Illinois.

The MP-1 sounds way better than it has any right to do. Takes pedals very well. Boosted with a tube screamer, it reacts like a good Marshall.

Has a somewhat scooped tone, typical of the metal tones of the late 80's. Paired with the Fryette Power Station and a Friedman 412 cab, I'd call this a first-class citizen of my studio.

A couple of things, I notice that the effects loop on the MP-1 doesn't work with my pedals very well. I have a Strymon DIG, an Analogman delay, Boss GE-7 equalizer and an MXR Reverb in the loop. They sound weak, fuzzy and not at all good. It's not an issue since I just use the loop on the Power Station.

I'm not sure if something's wrong with the MP-1's loop or if the loop was designed for rack effects and not so much pedals.

Back
Top Bottom