Now, this is something different. The world has changed...

Rick

Axe-Master
So, I just retired, sold a few instruments, and got myself a birthday present... the wife said it was up to me to pick. Lol. After all these years, she still tolerates me.

Soooo, I bought the amp below and a speaker cabinet to add my favorite EVM 12S to, and it sounds huge.

But I realized that we have breached a completely new dynamic here. For the first time in my rather lengthy existence I have purchased a tube amp because I like the model of it. This is a sort of Twilight Zone moment for me. LOVE the amp, and am amazed at how much tweaking you can do for new sounds and combinations. Oddly like, well, an Axe FX.

The world has changed. Irrevocably changed.

Also, if you didn’t know, Alan Phillips builds some monster amps.

6EA8B0F6-FB10-47DE-A91A-96F02DBA3437.jpeg

For those curious about it, the football shaped lighter area around the logo isn’t an ugly spot in the grill, it’s light shining through the semi-open back. I took the picture right after delivery, so the speaker wasn’t installed yet! That shape is the top of the speaker baffle and bottom of the rear vent. Speaker is in, looks like this:

image.jpg

Last edited:
JTM 45, AC-30 and JCM 800 4104 for me. I’ve been eyeing the CA OD2 for a while as well.

All my excuses for stocking up on Fractal gear aren’t holding water :(

Has all the amps you want, you said. Never needs new tubes you said...

If I ever buy a tube amp again, it'll be the Triptik. That one is SO good! In the Axe I've played its three channels exclusively for many months, but switched to the Tucana for mid gain and the ODS100 for cleans, because I like them a LIIIITTLE bit more. But it's just because with the Axe I CAN. In the real world - I'm absolutely sure - the Triptik is the best amp for me.

That higain channel's voicing!!! It's fantastic! :hearteyes:

Congratulations!

I've been playing guitar for 35 years, but I've never had a big amp (only borrowed at some gig) because I've never lived in a home suitable for releasing a beast

My first "modeler" was the Zoom 9002 and I've been playing FRFR since the Boss GX-700 and Roland VG8

Last edited:
Wow, people still buy tube amps? :p (to the tune of "they still make wooden Christmas trees?");)

Very cool - hope you can crank it and enjoy! As much as I love my fractals, it sure is fun to turn up an amp and really feel the air move, right?

Congrats on your well-deserved retirement Rick. It took me a year to decompress from the working mode. I no longer have the wealth I did when I was working, but richer in so many ways. We are blessed. You have reached the metal years. Gold in the teeth, silver in the hair, but no lead in the pencil.

Last edited:
Has all the amps you want, you said. Never needs new tubes you said...
Yes, exactly. Maybe it’s like working... more enjoyable when you don’t have to. Since amps became optional, I actually think I like them more than I used to. That has not helped my space in the music room issue!

As much as I love my fractals, it sure is fun to turn up an amp and really feel the air move, right?
There’s something about it, for sure. Maybe it’s the warm glowing glass in there that reminds me of many good times. I really just think it’s enjoyment at knowing there’s no choice involved. I am lucky enough to be able to use either, or use them together (which I will), and I still like both! I am nearing 4 times the age I was when I started playing, I’m still gigging regularly, and playing on some of the best gear ever. Yes, Virginia, there is a Santa Claus. :)

Congrats on your well-deserved retirement Rick. It took me a year to decompress from the working mode. I no longer have the wealth I did when I was working, but richer in so many ways. We are blessed. You have reached the metal years. Gold in the teeth, silver in the hair, but no lead in the pencil.
Thanks GJ! I’m just now starting to feel like I’m not on vacation or something. I still assist the new Chief in getting everything transitioned, but it’s less every week. The stress level is much lower, and that decompression is beginning, I believe. I’m playing a lot more now, and liking it a lot more too. I’ve purposely planned a six month buffer with no huge plans or life rattling decisions if they can be avoided to help with that adjustment. So far, no complaints! Even Monday’s are nice.

The equipment splurges will be much fewer and farther between, as the income is much lower now, but if I never bought another thing I’m pretty well set!

Last edited:
It's strange you posted about this particular amp because I've had this one loaded up on my Axe-Fx III for over a week now. What a great sounding amp it is. I'd love to hear a comparison to the real thing.

Leon has done just that not too long ago, I believe. @2112 might add the link for... :cool:

It is a really nice sounding amp, very full and powerful. Almost hard to make it sound bad, in fact. I’m impressed!

Congrats Rick, there's very little on the amp market today that can match the CA stuff. From memory the AX8 sounded spot on to the real amp and I agree that it's an amp that sounds good pretty much any way you set it.

The Axe-Fx Mark Series/Triaxis and Friedman/Atomica models inspired me to grab a real Triaxis and a Ceriatone Jose inspired amp (Son of Yeti) that I otherwise wouldn't have given a second thought. Still, i don't play them anywhere near as much as the Axe.

Oh yeah, the vid!

Congrats Rick, there's very little on the amp market today that can match the CA stuff. From memory the AX8 sounded spot on to the real amp and I agree that it's an amp that sounds good pretty much any way you set it.

The Axe-Fx Mark Series/Triaxis and Friedman/Atomica models inspired me to grab a real Triaxis and a Ceriatone Jose inspired amp (Son of Yeti) that I otherwise wouldn't have given a second thought. Still, i don't play them anywhere near as much as the Axe.

Oh yeah, the vid!

Thanks for adding the link, Leon. I was headed out the door to a gig last night and hoped you might stop in here to help. I watched your videos on the Tucana 3 while waiting on the delivery, and liked what I was hearing but know it’s hard to experience the sound via YouTube. Once it was here I had the same reaction to it... just a lot of completely usable range on every control. It also reminded me of how cohesive three channels of one amp sound. This is something I’ve had to remind myself of on the Axe Fx; because you can use ten amp models and cab blocks a show doesn’t mean you should! There’s a lot to be said for that consistent tone. I wish I still had my Recto 4x12s to run this CA into, that would be a wall of sound.

I had time to sit and play through it this morning, and it is really punchy. The sound is very full, and surprisingly articulate even when overdriven hard. I know it isn’t a metal amp by design but can get pretty grindy and tight, too. Acoustic guitars nearby were humming in sympathetic vibration... almost like reverb! No gig tonight so I’ll get to know it better this weekend.

Again, thanks!

Congratulations!

I've been playing guitar for 35 years, but I've never had a big amp (only borrowed at some gig) because I've never lived in a home suitable for releasing a beast

My first "modeler" was the Zoom 9002 and I've been playing FRFR since the Boss GX-700 and Roland VG8
Wow! That’s exactly opposite my experience, and very interesting to hear! Early on, all my amps were ridiculously big... head and one or two 4x12 cabinets. I had no real need whatsoever for that much power or that many speakers and was always fighting the volume wars, but it was sort of the thing back then. I had an Ampeg V4 setup that I was sure could compete with a jet on takeoff. Crazy.

I’ve been using amps with one or two 12s for years now (even my FRFRs for the Axe Fx are single coaxial 12s) and my back andcear health is better for it. This Tucana 3 through the 1x12 cabinet will get louder than I’ll ever need... and it would fit on the front seat of my truck. But, amazingly, you can turn it down to very low levels and it still sounds great. Should you ever get the urge to try one, I think this is a great all around, do most any genre amp. Getting back to my first post, if it turns out to be as useful to me as the model of it has been, it’s going to get a lot of playing time!

Last edited:
Ha - Know the feeling :)
Had a totally similar experience a few years back when I bought my Komet K60 based on how much I loved the model of it in the the Axe II, had to double check my sanity and reasoning at that moment, since I already had the amp in the Axe II.
Enjoy your new amp and retirement, Rick - I'm sure it's well deserved.

Enjoy your new amp and retirement, Rick - I'm sure it's well deserved.
Thanks, bro, I appreciate that. Yeah, I did wonder a bit on why it was needed but, hey, lack of pure need has never kept me from wanting anything. A crime of opportunity. :D

Congrats! I thought you were supposed to buy more instruments when you retire?! :D

2 years, 11 months and counting for me!
That may have been a little misleading, as it is more selling a couple of things not being used in order to get on with the buying of a few things i have been wanting to try out. The income is lower, but fortunately there are other ways to get from point A to point B!

Back
Top Bottom