Now that the cat is out of the bag-CLR Neo

zentman

Experienced
Tom King called me out of the blue a few months ago regarding this new product. He had seen my post regarding the reason I had cancelled my order...weight.

I have one shoulder with no
cartilage and the other has a bursitis. I just can't lift heavy stuff anymore, it hurts for days afterwards. Hence the reason I picked up the DLM8s. They were tiny and weighed 21 lbs.

Tom sent me a unit to try and it was/is everything I have read about these in numerous reviews including Scotts. The real kicker is that even though 10 lbs heavier than my DLMs, they are easy to throw around. The sound factor is worth the extra 10 lbs as they are still a very light speaker and just kick all kinds of butt.

I can toss it in my back seat with one arm and feel no pain. I can actually lift it over my head to put on a stand, which I am not supposed to do with anything heavy per doctor's orders.

I posted my opinion on the CLR (http://www.thegearpage.net/board/sho....php?t=1345221)
but did not reveal the weight factor until I saw Atomic announce it today on Facebook.

I am still waiting for my studio friends to make some time at Maximus studios for a try out against some pretty good speakers, including some Auspurgers which run 10 times the CLR sticker.

The good news is that old folks and those with lifting problems ( I am both ) can now have that CLR quality with out risking injury.

Kudos to Atomic and Tom King for this development. I always try to get the best I can for live play and now I will.
smile.gif

Last edited:
wow that's cool! assuming just the weight is shed and no detriment to the audio quality?

I love my CLR and the only thing I would change is the weight. I've have had both shoulders surgically repaired and have back issues too. If I could get my paws on the Neo driver I would be very happy indeed.

Alas, I'm in the UK :(

I love my CLR and the only thing I would change is the weight. I've have had both shoulders surgically repaired and have back issues too. If I could get my paws on the Neo driver I would be very happy indeed.

I would make it lighter for sure, but all I need to do is to pick up my combo amp at over double the weight and I think it's pretty light!!

I would make it lighter for sure, but all I need to do is to pick up my combo amp at over double the weight and I think it's pretty light!!

Which makes me think that traditional amp makers will start using neodymium magnets to reduce the weight of speakers & transformers soon, too.

I think many would be willing to buy your "old" CLR... consider the surplus as an "import tax" :mrgreen

Back
Top Bottom