Now hear this

I really give a f.... about all the Dreaming Theater guys. Creativity belongs outside of the measle music-industry
This is abnormally creative playing. Without money-honey.

What's interesting is that this music has essentially the same aesthetic as Dream Theater to me. Shredding's cool, but I'm not convinced, however, that a relatively unknown guitarist playing fast licks is somehow more creative than a famous guitarist playing fast licks (given that the material is pretty similar).

Thanks Peter!

I must say, though, that this particular piece ("Courtroom Drama") is one of my least-harmonically-interesting and creative (I originally wrote it in 1996).

I'd say anything from Occult Jazz (or pretty much anything else I've released as Sheer Velocity) is more adventurous and unusual than "Courtroom Drama", which is admittedly pretty standard fare neo-classical type shred.

Sheer Velocity

I really give a f.... about all the Dreaming Theater guys. Creativity belongs outside of the measle music-industry
This is abnormally creative playing. Without money-honey.

It's a good, well written, well played, well recorded piece of music. Is it abnormally creative? Not even close.

Edit: He should have posted a link to Occult Jazz. Now that... That's a different story. Very cool

Last edited:
I've come to a conclusion. Any kind of "music" that is somehow measured is not music but a sport. How high can the vocalist sing? How fast can the guitarist play? How many different time signatures do they use?

Join the olympics for all I care. Music is about sharing a message and emotion. All I "feel" when someone is shredding a million notes a second is sad that the guy spent his youth inside learning stuff when he should've been drinking beer and having a good time. And I know... I did that nolife sports thing for a few years. Then I started gigging and got a reality check... that was not music.

I've come to a conclusion. Any kind of "music" that is somehow measured is not music but a sport. How high can the vocalist sing? How fast can the guitarist play? How many different time signatures do they use?

Or to put it another way, maturity ;)

Nah, there's room for all ends of the spectrum and let's face it, there really needs to be because otherwise it would be a pretty bland palette... however, ask yourself how many number one songs across the world in the last six decades have featured much virtuosity..? I'd say 99% haven't. That's not to say there aren't some truly great players and singers on them of course, but it tells a story

A good guitarist is a good guitarist and listening to some of these tracks this guitarist is a phenomenal player, crikey wish I was half as good. Amazing stuff.

You play extremely creative riffs, well played arrangements and when I look at your YouTube videos I find myself confused towards how you get certain effects that are either built into your guitar or by using effect pedals like Eventide's Pitchfactor or the Axe Fx 2?

It's funny, I never thought I'd be accused of participating in the Guitar Olympics - I gave up trying to break the land speed record when I was 21 years old and there are hundreds of metronome jockeys on Youtube who can play three times faster than me on their worst day. What's far more important to me is having a distinct voice.

I feel kinda stupid having to defend myself on a forum thread that was started by someone else (I noticed a lot of Bandcamp hits coming from here, hence my presence) but I will re-iterate that the original, well-meaning post by our friend Peter here features a track that I wrote in 1996 and is indeed a decidedly standard-fare neoclassical shred romp, featuring little of the more unusual phrasing/sounds that characterize my playing these days. There are six albums' worth of instrumental weirdness on the Sheer Velocity Bandcamp page, which I think show a FAR more interesting cross-section of ideas.

And FINALLY, this whole instrumental Sheer Velocity guitar wank-fest thing? It's just for a laugh. I do it in my spare time, and each track you hear was written and recorded *in one sitting*. Just for fun and self indulgence, which is the whole point. I put it out so people can hear that side of my personality if they're interested.

If you want to hear what I'm really about, check out Black Sugar Transmission.

Oh, and thanks for listening.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom