Now everyone has Cygnus, do you think you should still reduce cab block hi's from 20,000 to 6,000-8,500

I use York Audio Ir's but always 80Hz High Pass, 6-8kHz Low Pass depending.

If I am home playing alone, maybe no high pass (go for the big bottom) but in any production scenario (recording or performing) ALWAYS do it because it makes it sit. Save the sound guy the effort (because he's going to do it anyway if he's worth anything).

What does it matter what others are doing? Do what sounds best to you.
I do what sounds best to me always. I only was curious what people are doing now that A majority of users are saying Cygnus is already darker in tone. I never do what someone else tells me to do. I might try it to see what the result is but in the end I adjust everything where I like it.

Playing live through our PA = low 98.0 and high 4950. Washburn N4 w/ Bill Lawrence pickups. Seem like heavy cuts but that guitar is somehow bottom heavy and very bright on top at the same time. I haven’t personally strayed from this with a firmware change. This is the range where it fits nice in the mix.

Yesterday in practice nothing sounded right to me or felt right until I turned off all eq. I was really shocked, I ended up boosting 250 like +2 and 2000 +3 but its preference not needed. Going forward I'm sure my FOH will have some low and high reduction but the soundman can also do that

What does it matter what others are doing? Do what sounds best to you.
Because the experience of others is often helpful in getting better results, hence the thousands of posts on this forum dedicated to folks sharing their perceptions, experience, suggestions, etc. I've found that learning from others has often gotten me more of what ultimately sounds best to my ears ... and in a shorter time with less trial an error.

I use York Audio Ir's but always 80Hz High Pass, 6-8kHz Low Pass depending.

If I am home playing alone, maybe no high pass (go for the big bottom) but in any production scenario (recording or performing) ALWAYS do it because it makes it sit. Save the sound guy the effort (because he's going to do it anyway if he's worth anything).
+1

I never make any moves unless I absolutely have to. Start with Amp+Cab. If it doesn't sound good, figure out why, tweak to fix, repeat as necessary.

Generally speaking, I don't touch filters if I don't need to.

Low cut, yes. 18dB/oct (the classic Neve slope), anywhere between 100-200 Hz.

High cut, a touch, if at all. It still baffles me that people cut highs down to 6-8 k. 10-12 k is an extreme high cut, anything lower than that is just bonkers.

A majority of users are saying Cygnus is already darker in tone
I wonder where this “majority” was found. I suspect the majority of users haven’t weighed in.

I don’t think Cygnus is darker in general, I think it’s better balanced and more realistic sounding. Some amps and cabs are dark in real life, just as some are bright, so I try to use ones that sound right to me. The Amp and Cab block entries in the wiki talk about this.

In addition, microphone choice can make a particular IR darker, brighter or have a stronger midrange so sometimes I blend a 121 and a 57 or 160 to get the overall sound.

And, I don’t necessarily use high or low cut. For clean and airy or presets with a lot of ambience I leave the sound wide open. For heavily distorted amps I reduce the range if it’s going to conflict with someone/something else.

I would agree with @Royalty that 16.04 is darker overall to me and in Cygnus the beta threads it was something mention. Doesn’t mean it is worse (or better) just that it does seem darker to me.

Back
Top Bottom