Now everyone has Cygnus, do you think you should still reduce cab block hi's from 20,000 to 6,000-8,500

Royalty

When I was on Ares 3.02 & firmware before this I reduced my Cab block Hi's from the usual 20,000 to around 7,500 and I liked it better cause it seemed to get rid of that hi stuff that doesn't sound like a real 4/12 cab that uses celestion vintage 30's or greenbacks like most speakers in a 4/12 cab.

Are you guys that are using Cygnus in FM3 reducing the cab block High end down between 6,500 - 8,500 , or are you keeping it at the stock 20,000

I leave it alone because I want to have control at it with the different used output devices.
Monitoring DAW, selfmade Cabs with fullrange speakers, FRFR...
I EQ then with global EQ of FM 3 or use the built in EQ of my FRFR or DAW.

If frequency is cut out in original signal you can't get it back but cutting it later is possible every time.

I leave it alone because I want to have control at it with the different used output devices.
Monitoring DAW, selfmade Cabs with fullrange speakers, FRFR...
I EQ then with global EQ of FM 3 or use the built in EQ of my FRFR or DAW.

If frequency is cut out in original signal you can't get it back but cutting it later is possible every time.
You can also add the hi and low cab cuts to your performance page so that you can adjust in a similar way. Both totally valid and viable options.

I don’t cut anything unless I’m playing live. If I’m just playing at home or practicing, I leave everything wide open. For recording, I’ll take care of any top or bottom end while mixing.

Depends. I always cut some low end but for high end depends on what my goal is. More highs for recording (blends in with the mix but helps clarity), less for playing by myself.

It depends on the IR used, and on other factors. There is no absolute.

-> Regardless of the Cygnus update, nasty highs and intrusive lows are still nasty and intrusive.

You have to look at the picture of how the guitar sits with the rest of the band, not how cool it sounds on standalone

Last edited:
Depends on if you plan to play/mix with other instruments or you playing with the biggest sonic imprint
you can make all by your lonesome. ;)

IMHO the CAB lo and hi cuts are there to compensate for close-mic'd IRs. Just the same as a FOH sound engineer will typically cut lows and highs on a real mic placed close to a real guitar speaker, to make it sound like what you hear off-axis at a distance.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom