Nothing beats the "TV mix" Cabs, not even UltraRes (Opinion)

Andre Antunes

Inspired
Been playin' around with some of the new IR's, pairing them up with the Triptik Model, and it seems that I can't like the UltraRes (Not even TheAmpFactory ones) as much as I like the Basketweave TV mix one.

What do you guys feel about this? In my opinion, the ultrares ones are a bit on the "harsh" side - while the TV cabs have that perfect balance in my opinion.

Been playin' around with some of the new IR's, pairing them up with the Triptik Model, and it seems that I can't like the UltraRes (Not even TheAmpFactory ones) as much as I like the Basketweave TV mix one.

What do you guys feel about this? In my opinion, the ultrares ones are a bit on the "harsh" side - while the TV cabs have that perfect balance in my opinion.

I think the problem is, if comparing mixes, they're all a bit different. I have noticed the TAF IRs seem brighter to me on the whole compared to others, but, you can mix something that's darker. They've given you the tools to do that by mic placement. I like the TV Mix but feel the Fractal cab paks are darker on the whole then OH or TAF HiRes IRs.

I don't like the TV mixes that much...

I love the 4x12 Basketweave TV Mix from the Mad Oak Producer Pack
yessmiley.gif

So much so in fact, that despite feeling UltraRes added a little extra dimension (which is hard to quantify or describe), I haven't really recaptured the magic and 'connection' that I instantly got with the Mad Oak 4x12 Basketweave TV Mix...
thinking.gif

I guess I could see how other people using different cabs to that had a "Wow" moment when dialling up something new in UltraRes, but that didn't happen for me

The TV mix is a fav for a lot of guys around here. I too struggle to find anything I like more for Marshall tones.

Being mostly a Marshall kinda guy myself, I agree. The TV mix is hard to beat. Definitely my go to cab. But, I will say that since the new Cab Lab was released I've been spending more time going through my libraries and experimenting with some mixes. I've found treasures in all of the libs (talking strictly Marshall cabs). Redwirez continue to amaze me and I don't think I've truly realized them until now. OH's are rock solid and easily a "go-to" set. The TV mix from Mad Oak has been the standard IMO and the new TAF Mars-cabs I'm really digging.

My current favorite mix is an impedance curve IR from Redwirez run in series with any of the Basketweave cab mixes from the above libs (depending on the day). Actually I think my fav Plexi patch currently has the impedance curve IR run into the UR MarsBW IR from TAF.

For you Marshall lovers go back and try Pete Thorne's Suhr SL68 patch (FW14) with and without the Tone Match block. Even though his Div/13 cab IR is awesome, the BW IR's sound awesome with that patch.

I've dubbed FW14 as the "Cab FW". It seems to have really opened them up.

Dumb Question: What does TV stand for in that context? I'm familiar with the Basketweave cabs but wondered what TV meant when I saw the name.

According to "The History of Marshall" by Michael Doyale:

"When Celestion brought out the "Vintage" G12, Marshall fitted it to the 1960 as models 1960AV and BV. The 1960TV angled 4x12 was announced later in 1989 as part of the reissue series, it's "TV" name standing for "tall vintage". But this was an inaccurate title, since the tall cabinet from yesteryear was a straight-front cab, not an angled front, and the "V" implied that it was equipped with Vintage speakers, when in fact it actually used the reissue of Celestion's original Ceramic speaker, the G12M25, which Marshall referred to as the Classic. If you can over look the fact that this is a reissue of a cabinet that never existed, and that uses a name that misrepresents the speakers to be found inside, then it's actually a great cabinet!"

TV mix and AX mix are my cabs of choice..
both in a stereo cab.. sounds beautiful

I used these extensively in my reamping presets too…
but that's about to change…

the new Engl 4x12 U-Res cabs are the Mutt's Nuts
Engl Pro 4x12 V30 SM57 New 05 and New 06
they have everything the TV and AX have, plus more definition and bigger spudz...

Dumb question, but if I roll off lows on the ultrares cab to fit in my mix - does that cancel out the "feel" of the new cabs?

i have been doing a shootout of IR's for my marshall tones the last few days, trying to get a little closer to the sound in my head. as much as i love the TV, there's something in the mids/low kids that is a little congested to me with some amps, especially the freidmans. might post some sound cloud clips tomorrow. i've found a couple of cabs that give it a run mostly from the OH vintage 4x12 set.

I got the OH and TAF UR packs. I think they sound very good. Like a blanket was lifted off the speakers. But something is missing that I was use to in the factory cabs. I'd love to hear what the guys at fractal would come up with as far as new factory UR mixes. I like their ears.

For consistency thru FOH, and since each seem to do things a little differently I'm trying to stick with one brand of pre-mixed IR's but it's hard with so many choices :)

Tv was my go to.
Still working on a perfect replacement....but the engl pack listed above is getting me there.
Doing lots of cab lab mixes to get the TV back.
Haven't found the exact mix yet....but I will.
I do feel that the TV now sounds a little muffled compared to the UR files.
UR is the way to go....just need to find the right mix.
If new UR files are put out that have TV cabs....I'm first in line to buy them.
I do feel the guitar hack and engle cabs are the best so far.....

Back
Top Bottom