Notes change when using Synth presets

tonyi

Inspired
Whenever using any synth preset there are a couple of notes that sound correctly and then change to another note. This makes using the preset impossible unless I am able to completely avoid those notes. Any ideas on how to fix this? Thanks.

I'm not near my Axe but to me it sounds like tracking problems. These are perfectly normal and happen when the synth is not sure what note it's supposed to be tracking. You need to make sure you pick cleanly and make sure no other notes or strings are accidentally being played. It is best to use the neck pickup as you get a more fundamental with less harmonics. Also try using using a fret wrap, or tie a scarf round the strings by the nut.
Hope this helps, I'll try the preset when I get home in case it is anything else. If you are using a drive block or amp block, make sure they are after the synth, as by their nature they add extra harmonics.

these types of jumps are caused by the string producing harmonic overtone. it's usually always the same notes on the same string that does it (my D at fret 7 on the G string is the usual culprit for me)

i usually use a compressor and a drive block before the the synth block to even out the dynamics and give the synth block a nice strong signal. (n.b. the synth block gets it's pitch info from the global input, but dynamic info from the block input). i usually just use the rat drive and keep the gain fairly low and adjust level. you can help things by using the low and high cut in the drive block to focus on the midrange, which can help, too.

I'm confused, tonyi started a thread and someone else uploaded the preset?
He (the OP) said "any synth preset" so I thought in the interest of keeping a good subject moving, I would submit the one I was scratching my heads with.

As an aside, it was constructed from the blocks of M@'s lucky man preset for the AX8.

i loaded that preset

do this

remove the amp block
remove the gate block
turn the drive down in the drive block to 5 and increase low cut to 120hz
increase the input gate settings slightly (both thresh and ratio clockwise a bit)

the patch had way too much gain and level going into the synth imo

Using the neck pickup made a huge difference for me.

I'll try simeon's settings in a bit after my crumpets and tea.

i'd say you typically want a pure clean tone feeding into the synth block, so the synth knows what note you are hitting. many times, having a distortion tone go into the synth block can confuse it, as distorted tones naturally have more harmonics in it. the a comp block before the synth helps keep your clean tone at a more constant level as well, so it won't drop off and then the synth tries to guess the note as it fades away.

of course, there are always exceptions to all of this, so do what works :)

Matt built these blocks for the synth solo in ELP's song Lucky Man.

It seems to need all these settings to be accurate to the song. Thru my rig it sounds right on cept for the artifacts that were mostly my bads...like using the neck pickup and playing cleanly.
Had some guitar cable noise that was effecting also.

Still havn't tried simeons yet, will get to those in a bit.

Hope these posts are in line with the OP's issues.

Last edited:
I'm confused, tonyi started a thread and someone else uploaded the preset?

For example, if I use Yek's flute preset to play the flute solo in Colour My World whenever I hit a G note on the fourth string it sounds the G for a second and then switches to another note. If I play the same note on the fourth string it holds for a second longer then changes. Same thing using other synth presets (unaltered) but different notes change according to the song played. Surely, this happens to others Fractal users? I appreciate all the suggestions provided. They make sense to me. I will try them all. Thanks again.

For example, if I use Yek's flute preset to play the flute solo in Colour My World whenever I hit a G note on the fourth string it sounds the G for a second and then switches to another note. If I play the same note on the fourth string it holds for a second longer then changes. Same thing using other synth presets (unaltered) but different notes change according to the song played. Surely, this happens to others Fractal users? I appreciate all the suggestions provided. They make sense to me. I will try them all. Thanks again.

Do you have any fret buzz when playing those notes ?

It's all about picking technique and harmonics.

If you naturally produce pinch harmonics or pick right on a string node, the tracking is susceptible to following the harmonic.

Practice slowly picking with an even more deliberate motion. Pay close attention to pick angle and how the pick leaves the string once plucked. Try changing to a softer pick; the purple Dunlap Tortex picks work great for me with my synth patches (I normally use a Mexican peso).

Forget about the rock star string snapping and play like a dorky keyboard player :)

I routinely use "Funky Synth" from the stock presets.. the suggestions above about really paying attention to your technique and picking notes clearly, etc. is critical. It's not perfect, but that's part of the charm in my opinion. That stock preset still seems to work pretty well for me. I do adjust the drive block a little.. keep the compressor on, neck pickup, etc.

Back
Top Bottom