"NOTE: Axe-Edit is NOT yet updated to work with this new firmware" Is this problem?

romanianreaper

Power User
So yesterday I read someone's post saying that although Axe-Edit is not updated to work with 5.0, you can still use Axe-Edit to upload the new firmware. I was able to connect and upload the firmware yesterday but now I can't connect. Am I having this problem because of this?

Did you delete your "settings" file?

If so, you have to go into Axe-edit and choose your midi in/out again for it to connect.

So far, I've always been able to use axe edit to update firmware and presets. Axe edit doesn't always have the latest features and parameters in the editor section though.

I wasn't telling you to delete it. I asked if you already had.

Can you open Axe-Edit at all? If so, do you see "not Connected" at the top of the screen?

I can open Axe-Edit but it says "not connected" at top of screen.
If I had a dime for every time I've posted this..

GO to Settings | MIDI Settings | MIDI tab...
Select AXE-FX II MIDI In and Out ports. NOTE: the names might be reversed so you select AXE-FX In for MIDI Out and vice versa. That is in the release notes or User Guide (I forget which).
It should automatically test the connection.
IF those choices are not there, then:
1. USB drivers are not installed, or
2. The Axe is not powered up.

I took everything Fractal related completely off my computer about an hour ago to start over. While loading the USB part, it said that the "Axe-FX Audio" loaded correctly but the "Axe-FX II" said not loaded correctly.

This whole thing is so frustrating. All I want to do is play guitar and instead I'm dabbling in computers like a rocket scientist, getting frustrated. I appreciate your help. I can't figure out why this isn't working. I've loaded Firmware before and had things work great.

If I had a dime for every time I've posted this..

GO to Settings | MIDI Settings | MIDI tab...
Select AXE-FX II MIDI In and Out ports. NOTE: the names might be reversed so you select AXE-FX In for MIDI Out and vice versa. That is in the release notes or User Guide (I forget which).
It should automatically test the connection.
IF those choices are not there, then:
1. USB drivers are not installed, or
2. The Axe is not powered up.

Those choices ARE there but it is still saying "Status: Not connected". Just FYI, when I downloaded Axe-Edit and reloaded it onto my computer, those settings were already set at MIDI IN and MIDI OUT. I thought it would have been set at "none" but they were already good to go.

I took everything Fractal related completely off my computer about an hour ago to start over. While loading the USB part, it said that the "Axe-FX Audio" loaded correctly but the "Axe-FX II" said not loaded correctly.

This whole thing is so frustrating. All I want to do is play guitar and instead I'm dabbling in computers like a rocket scientist, getting frustrated. I appreciate your help. I can't figure out why this isn't working. I've loaded Firmware before and had things work great.
While I understand the frustration, with advanced features comes complexity. Complexity comes at a price. When all works, it's wonderful. When one part is broken, sometimes it DOES take a rocket scientist to figure it out. I know, I deal with these types of challenges ever day. I get paid well for it by my employer (not FAS BTW).

Be patient. The most important part is to get the USB drivers installed. Make sure you have the v150 drivers, and if on Windoze, DO NOT let MS install them if you get a pop-up. Ingore or cancel that prompt. Once past that, following directions should get you up and running. They do work. Daily use here... Win7x64. fw 5.0 and AxeEdit.

Those choices ARE there but it is still saying "Status: Not connected". Just FYI, when I downloaded Axe-Edit and reloaded it onto my computer, those settings were already set at MIDI IN and MIDI OUT. I thought it would have been set at "none" but they were already good to go.
Delete the axe-edit.settings file, or try a different USB ports, or different USB cable ??

Delete the axe-edit.settings file, or try a different USB ports, or different USB cable ??

I still haven't seen that "axe-edit.settings" file. Where is that?

Again, I do appreciate the help. I'm frustrated because this all started around the time of the 4.01 firmware upgrade and has steadily gotten worse. :) What started as my presets not loaded correctly, is now USB, Axe-Edit, etc. It is like a giant rolling rock.

I still haven't seen that "axe-edit.settings" file. Where is that?

Again, I do appreciate the help. I'm frustrated because this all started around the time of the 4.01 firmware upgrade and has steadily gotten worse. :) What started as my presets not loaded correctly, is now USB, Axe-Edit, etc. It is like a giant rolling rock.
yes,it can definitely cascade...
The axe-edit.settings location is dependent on the OS you are running.

On XP:
\documents and settings\<user>\Application Data\Fractal Audio

On Vista\Win7:
\Users\<user>\AppData\Roaming\Fractal Audio

On MAC: I don't know.

Is he running pc or mac? Maybe its his usb port on the computer, sometimes this can be fixed as easy as unpluging and plugging it back in. Is the usb cable securely inserted into the back of the axe fx II?

nevrmind-posted at same time.

Last edited:
Is he running pc or mac? Maybe its his usb port on the computer, sometimes this can be fixed as easy as unpluging and plugging it back in. Is the usb cable securely inserted into the back of the axe fx II?

nevrmind-posted at same time.

I checked my cables just to be sure and they are good to go.

When I uninstalled all of the Fractal-associated stuff before, I used the "uninstall" icons for each thing. Then I went into the WINDOWS uninstall area and uninstalled one Fractal USB file that was in there. Is there any other location that I need to clear out that would explain why this isn't working?

go to C:\Fractal Audio Systems\Axe-Fx II USB Driver Installer\Driver and run setup.exe
see if you get a complete install that way...

go to C:\Fractal Audio Systems\Axe-Fx II USB Driver Installer\Driver and run setup.exe
see if you get a complete install that way...

I am going to try to load the software on my laptop first and see what happens.

Do I need to uninstall and reinstall the USB software before trying to do an install like you mentioned above?

Back
Top Bottom