Not understanding the scenes

I have been reading through the manual and I think that I am understanding a little better, but I believe that the AX8 is NOT capable of creating a scene that has a clean and a distorted amp. Hopefully, someone can set me straight on this. It says very clearly in the manual what you can do with scenes and everything else you cant.

I have tried to put the CA III as an amp block for scene one. I have a distortion and other effects that I have in the chain and have disabled the ones I do not want to use. I take the overdrive on the CA III and bring it 0 on scene 1, save it and move on to scene 2. Scene two, I bring the OD on the CA III to 8 and save it, but when I go back to scene 1 the OD on the CA III also goes back to 8.

Is this scenario not possible? I want a clean patch, a heavy rhythm patch, a heavy rhythm patch with heavy delay and a heavy solo patch.
The presets have way too much of a lag between them to the point that I am having to press the preset button way before my solo, or going into my clean patch and that just feels totally awkward.

Any help, feedback would be appreciated.

I have tried to put the CA III as an amp block for scene one. I have a distortion and other effects that I have in the chain and have disabled the ones I do not want to use. I take the overdrive on the CA III and bring it 0 on scene 1, save it and move on to scene 2. Scene two, I bring the OD on the CA III to 8 and save it, but when I go back to scene 1 the OD on the CA III also goes back to 8

Is this scenario not possible?

Yes.

You need to assign a scene controller to the parameter and set the value for the controller appropriately for each scene.

Scenes don't save the values within blocks. Scenes only save on/off and X/Y status (and some other minor things).

Watch my old video on Scene Controllers. It's for the Axe but the concepts still stand. This is much easier using AX8-Edit these days:

You don't have to use scene controllers to do this. You can also do it with X-Y switching on the amp block, which is much simpler.

Dial up your settings for scene 1. On the amp block in AX8-Edit, copy the amp block X settings to Y. Go to scene 2 and set the amp to the Y settings. Make your changes to the Y settings.

The plus side to using X-Y switching is that you can switch to a totally new amp model when changing scenes (if you want). The down side to doing it this way is that you will have a slight audible gap when switching scenes. Even though both X and Y use the same amp model, you are loading a new set of amp block parameters which will result in an audible gap.

Scene controllers are the way to do it without the gap, but are not quite as straight forward to implement.

Back
Top Bottom