Not to be a negative Nancy, but am I the only one not digging the Tucana model?

You are assuming you are supposed to like every amp.

exactly...i'm not a Boogie fan. I've never played one that I like (well, i did sort of dig the Electradyne, but i digress...). I love other people playing them, love them on recordings, but I can't vibe with them. Same for other amps....just not my thing, and it's ok, lol.

exactly...i'm not a Boogie fan. I've never played one that I like (well, i did sort of dig the Electradyne, but i digress...). I love other people playing them, love them on recordings, but I can't vibe with them. Same for other amps....just not my thing, and it's ok, lol.
completely agree. not every amp is for everybody. I don't even like half of the amps in the Axe, but to complain about it is a bit weird, isn't it...

I like the Tucana3. It's different. Doesn't have as much top end to me, a smoother, fatter lower freq type of gain. I built a patch using two them... input drives around 4.8-5, MV around 4. OD at 7.5, Bass at 5, Mid at 10, treble at 3. Using a F103 Basketweave TV mix on the left and and F001 Oval 1x6 on the right.

For grins, my chain is Studio compressor - PEQ ( 2.5db bump at 400hz) - ts808 0 drive ( TS in front of the Basketweave side only,) - After the amps I add some dealy, some verb, and an enhancer for some Hass effect, and it sounds really good. I was able to get rid of that mid wah sweep tone that I agree the default kind of has going on. (I like that too, for it's own purposes.)

This is kind of a standard template that I'm using... and I have switched it around with a lot of amps, and I like it with many of them. The Tucana isn't so much better than some others that I like... it's just different and I like it too. It's very full sounding, and other amps sound thinner in comparison to it.

I have the feeling that with real amp people tend to agree more on what sounds good or not than on the Axe fx. Even if it's not your taste in general people tend to agree that some Fender's are great for clean or a Marshall is great for overdrive etc. On the Axe there seem to be more completely opposite opinions on what amp sounds good or not.

That's probably largely due to Axe users having a wide range of different setups they are playing through, not to mention the thousands of possible IR's or mix of IR's that are out there.

What I'm hearing through FRFR monitors brand "A" with IR "#1", may sound very little like what you are hearing using FRFR monitors brand "B" with IR "#2" (then there's all the users playing through a poweramp and traditional guitar cabinet as well).

I really like the Tucana3.. I use it with the Engl Pro 4x12 V30 SM57 New 02, I set the mic in the cab block to 'null' to beef the low end..
I have the Tuc3 set pretty clean..
Input Drive and Overdrive both set to 2.0, MasterVol set to 10
it's kinda cute

I fiddled around with it for a while. It has it's merits but not my type of tone I guess. What did find odd is the low cut in the adv params defaults to 800hz. That seems kind of high if the modeling is correct. But I'm clueless as to the modeling procedures so maybe that's what it needs to be.

I think the Tucana is awesome, and is up there with the BE for distortion IMO. That said, it definitely prefers darker sounding guitars like PRSs. Twang machines and superstrats not so much.

Hey, yes, i bet they are using the STT03-B57-60a-off edge.ir (Suck Tone Tucana03 mic'ed with a broken 57 at a 60 degree angle), the non UltraRes version.

:)

This is all a bit too nerdy...lol....I plug the Tucana 3 in to a battered old cab with a Celestion T75, don't piss around with it and play it live every week without every casting a thought on anything. I did all that when I designed it. It's very very difficult for anyone to get a bad tone out of the real amp. It's designed that way, the range and limits on the controls, even the biasmon system makes it difficult for even a very inexperienced player to FU. The real amp has a more British overtone to it due to the fact I am British and I designed it. I cannot stand 'American' overdrive tones. If it sounds like that then something has gone desperately astray in the mass of options you guys have to change the basic character and ultimately the design intent. The gain staging, overdrive voicing and output stage are night and day to ANYTHING Mesa, any owner of the real amp would attest to that.

Last edited:
This is all a bit too nerdy. I plug the Tucana 3 in to a battered old cab with a Celestion T75, don't piss around with it and play it live every week without every casting a thought on anything. I did all that when I designed it. It's very very difficult for anyone to get a bad tone out of the real amp. It's designed that way, the range and limits on the controls, even the biasmon system makes it difficult for even an idiot to FU. The real amp has a more British overtone to it due to the fact I am British and I designed it. I cannot stand Mesa boogie overdrive tones. If it sounds like that then something has gone desperately astray in the modeling. The gain staging, overdrive voicing and output stage are night and day to ANYTHING Mesa, any owner of the real amp would attest to that.

We think alike on Boogie tones. A minority here, but all music is good.

Appreciate the advice on a cab.

R

We think alike on Boogie tones. A minority here, but all music is good.

Appreciate the advice on a cab.

R

The problem is I'm not really giving advice per say, the Tuc 3 is very very tolerant of most cabs and speakers, unlike say the OD2.
Why is there so much variation with IRs with the model ? This isn't at all in alignment with the real world.
I just don't get it. Regardless of cabinet I use or mic the sound guy throws in front of it, I have to make very little change in order to get it back where I like it. Minor EQ adjustments.
Why is it so difficult if this technology is emulating the real world ?

I know Cliff does a stellar job modeling and he owns a Tucana 3 himself and is fine player.....
I feel people need to approach this model very simply. Don't mess with extended parameters, basically don't try and redesign it. Use a reliable Celestion based cabinet model.
I have a fantastic 4x12 with 2 old greenbacks and two old v30s that is the best cab I've played the real amp through.
In actual levels of gain with the two adjustable gain controls, the amp has a maximum gain level very similar to the Triptik, the setting of these two controls with respect to each other is critical.

Last edited:
I don't understand how anyone has the cocked wah sound from it. Maybe a parameter got messed upon the firmware loading? Although I have not spent a lot of time with the Tucana3, I have dialed in a few really nice tones with it very easily. I'm using factory cabs with it as well. I use the same setup on the IR for everything I create and test. I really like the the Tucana3. I've never heard of Carol Ann amps until I got my XL, but if I were ever going tube again I would dang sure like to talk to them about custom builds for me.

The Tucana 3 works well with the OH M-Sb-75 and the 417-H (Altec). The Bogner 2x12 with Fanes too.

I really like the model. Some really interesting and cool tones in there. I think it would be a great live lead tone.

The Tucana 3 works well with the OH M-Sb-75 and the 417-H (Altec). The Bogner 2x12 with Fanes too.

I really like the model. Some really interesting and cool tones in there. I think it would be a great live lead tone.

... agreed! In fact, FW15b seems to have opened all of the amps up tone-wise! :D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The tone some people are talking about is at higher gain, but I don't feel the need to dial it out. Just try different IRs. And, I really like it with single coils too. It all depends on what you're looking for. Different tastes.

I'm holding off until people post clips, because so far, I love the clips I've heard and I definitely like the model in the Axe FX.

Makes we want a real tube amp again... darn it all! The clean channel on my Tucana was one of the very best and most unique. Love the sound of 6550s! And a top-notch 3-channel amp would simply the pedalboard, not to mention the Biasmon feature. That's a brilliant idea. The hassle of most tube amps is one of the reason I'm using an Axe FX (that, and our only local, real amp tech died last year...).

Back
Top Bottom