Not sure if H9 needed ... really

Tremonti

Fractal Fanatic
So I bought an H9 and may use it. But I wanted to see about starting from scratch and just seeing if I could recreate my 25 patches I have in the Axe FX III to my new FM3. Thus far I'm about 65% complete and I may just not need the H9 after all! You have to think about things a little more to create them, but there are so many tools to use within the blocks and there is definitely more than one way to skin this cat.

Anyways just an update. Yes I may incorporate the H9 in future. But for now I'm really enjoying this FM3 with my FC12.

I have a Boss RC-500 looper pedal that I put in the effects loop. Adding the additional send/return blocks adds enough extra CPU overhead to my patches that I now find it quite easy to hit 80% CPU. I am considering adding something before the looper to at least handle reverb so that I have a bit more headroom for effects.

I've gone on a similar journey, starting off with a RV-500 in the loop, selling it and then going all in the box, now I'm back with the Source Audio reverb in the loop.

For most of my patches, I don't need the external reverb - in terms of CPU power, the Fractal reverbs sound different but not worse or better just different.

But for one or two patches I run out of CPU, and then the Source Audio is great so I just use it all the time to be honest.

Prime reason before people start citing lack of FM3 CPU power, I like to run the Reverb at the ultra-quality setting - the difference is small, but I notice it and I can't unhear that!

I find the external reverb is great, Midi implementation on the FM3 lets me have a new program per scene, I can also change reverb levels by changing the level of the input block coming back from the loop, and make changes to the reverb via control switches - all I need

I've gone on a similar journey, starting off with a RV-500 in the loop, selling it and then going all in the box, now I'm back with the Source Audio reverb in the loop.

For most of my patches, I don't need the external reverb - in terms of CPU power, the Fractal reverbs sound different but not worse or better just different.

But for one or two patches I run out of CPU, and then the Source Audio is great so I just use it all the time to be honest.

Prime reason before people start citing lack of FM3 CPU power, I like to run the Reverb at the ultra-quality setting - the difference is small, but I notice it and I can't unhear that!

I find the external reverb is great, Midi implementation on the FM3 lets me have a new program per scene, I can also change reverb levels by changing the level of the input block coming back from the loop, and make changes to the reverb via control switches - all I need
Which Reverb pedal is it from Source Audio?

I have missed my H9 recently, particularly for Crystals. Apart from that though and maybe Blackhole I've been able to get everything else I need just as well or even better using the FM3 so far. I'm going to try that Crystals preset by Piing for the Axe-Fx III though and see if it can be run on the FM3, probably not but it's worth a go.

I got all the algorithms into the H9 and started implementing it into the FM3. Gotta say the bluetooth app is f'n slick.

Wanted to update this. Selling H9 because I feel it alters my core tone when engaged; this will be something I have on most of the time. Bought a Source Audio Collider and have not received yet. I believe it will have a better converter and not alter the ton eas much when engaged or not. I will tell you how this does.

I want to state something. The FM3 having limitations is actually cool in a way. Hear me out. It is cool because it allows you to utilize other brands. This is fun and inspiring as it brings you back to the days when you needed some outboard gear. While I would salute a full powered floorboard, I find some nostalgic mad scientist tendencies, like the old days. OR limitations have there own glory, like say a Tom Morello. Depends how you look at it.

Updating this. Sold the H9 and got the Source Audio Collider. While I do not have to use a external reverb/delay, it helps me build a bigger "kitchen sink". Sounds killer and des not effect the tone IMO. Again I love Fractals reverbs and delays. They are not bad in the slightest.

Back
Top Bottom