Not selling again.

I think maybe the biggest reason why people sell their AXE, then come back and buy again is based on a couple of factors.

1. It's a lot to absorb and can get very frustrating for the user, trying to get the sound they already had before, with whatever they were using. I'm going through this now. every preset I create or alter, just doesn't sound right. It's either hollow, flubbery or boomy or thin. I'll take one from a video where the tone was perfect, install it on my FX 2 XL+, and never be able to get the same tone, clarity and smoothness.

2. After spending so much money for the unit, the user tends to get frustrated, after realizing it is an overkill situation. What do I need all these presets for, when in the end, we guitar players really only use 3 to 5 presets on a regular basis. You have your clean, crunch and distortion with various different effects. And maybe a couple more for specific songs, harmony, effects, etc.. Me I'm different. I need 20 different settings for performances.

I am at that place right now. My sound was incredible before, with what I had. But now it is lacking something. I'm not sure if it is ear fatigue, from working so hard, to try to get a sound. Maybe it's my equipment, or maybe I'm expecting more because of the expense.
I have listened, read, experimented and dove in with both feet. Now I have reached out to a couple of self proclaimed Gurus for some help.
I searched for many years for my perfect live rig. I purchased almost every amp and effects you can name. I realized needed more than 3 channels, I wanted self contained with no stomp boxes and full midi control, using a pedalboard with expression. I wanted to be able to create song specific presets. I'm now using the AXE and now I'm right in the middle, as far as thinking I made the right choice.
So this is probably why, some buy, sell buy, maybe sell again and buy.

I'm actually glad when people make this long round trip.

I've been back and forth and round and round enough to have several t-shirts. :) What I eventually settled on is having all of them. And when I got the hankering recently to try something different instead of my Axe in the gig where I use that, and I had to ask myself...why? Why, when what I have sounds so good right now?

In spite of my best efforts to the contrary I learned a lot from my mom and dad. My mother used to say "You miss the water when the well runs dry". Your post kinda reminded me of that.

Indeed. And I'm not trying to kiss anyone's ass either. (Although I will proudly wear the shirt) Its just as an Overall thing. The Device...the Forums...The community...Nothing really compares to the Fractal experience. Last night It was Dirty Shirley. All night. With my Tele (FCS relic) I mean...its just a device that keeps me playing and keeps me smiling. And when I didn't have it...It was just a long searching process that was never Resolved.

I think maybe the biggest reason why people sell their AXE, then come back and buy again is based on a couple of factors.

1. It's a lot to absorb and can get very frustrating for the user, trying to get the sound they already had before, with whatever they were using. I'm going through this now. every preset I create or alter, just doesn't sound right. It's either hollow, flubbery or boomy or thin. I'll take one from a video where the tone was perfect, install it on my FX 2 XL+, and never be able to get the same tone, clarity and smoothness.

2. After spending so much money for the unit, the user tends to get frustrated, after realizing it is an overkill situation. What do I need all these presets for, when in the end, we guitar players really only use 3 to 5 presets on a regular basis. You have your clean, crunch and distortion with various different effects. And maybe a couple more for specific songs, harmony, effects, etc.. Me I'm different. I need 20 different settings for performances.

I am at that place right now. My sound was incredible before, with what I had. But now it is lacking something. I'm not sure if it is ear fatigue, from working so hard, to try to get a sound. Maybe it's my equipment, or maybe I'm expecting more because of the expense.
I have listened, read, experimented and dove in with both feet. Now I have reached out to a couple of self proclaimed Gurus for some help.
I searched for many years for my perfect live rig. I purchased almost every amp and effects you can name. I realized needed more than 3 channels, I wanted self contained with no stomp boxes and full midi control, using a pedalboard with expression. I wanted to be able to create song specific presets. I'm now using the AXE and now I'm right in the middle, as far as thinking I made the right choice.

It takes some time to learn, and don't overdo things ;)

And ear fatigue comes fast when you switch between a lot of sounds and cabs. I allways kill my ears when i test ir's for to long.

I sold my II and my FX8.. keeping the AX8 and wearing my Fractal shirt right now :).

Lord knows I'll pony up again for an Axe-Fx III when the time comes.

good to see this, it makes me think i definitely made the right choice! was money wise planning to buy a Helix as it looks slick and the floorboard looks smashing. saw that kemper was dropped and hesitated, but i did not like its design at all. after reading the forums i decided to go for Axe fx2. it has been a rollercoaster due to being a newby and quantum 1 was out followed by different betas and new public releases quantum 2.01 to 2.04 and now quantum 3 beta. it was a lot to digest. but the sound today is much better then my own marshall after some tweaking. also i learned a lot of amps and sounds due to forummembers & of course chris, yek and cliff.

welcome back (im here to stay!)

good to see this, it makes me think i definitely made the right choice! was money wise planning to buy a Helix as it looks slick and the floorboard looks smashing. saw that kemper was dropped and hesitated, but i did not like its design at all. after reading the forums i decided to go for Axe fx2. it has been a rollercoaster due to being a newby and quantum 1 was out followed by different betas and new public releases quantum 2.01 to 2.04 and now quantum 3 beta. it was a lot to digest. but the sound today is much better then my own marshall after some tweaking. also i learned a lot of amps and sounds due to forummembers & of course chris, yek and cliff.

welcome back (im here to stay!)

I was on the same boat ... I had been eyeballing that display on the Helix, and had been trying to watch as many reviews as I could on it ... but then, from what I saw, there were a good amount of things the Helix couldn't do. And the more I would try to compare and do spreadsheets of the pro's and con's I started coming to the conclusion that even the Ultra better filled my needs and wants, so I went forth and bought an ultra .. then not a month later of working with a friend on his Axe II, and another friend getting his Axe8 in and offering me a no-nonsense price on his MarkII, I became the step father of 2 of these little tidbits of joy :)

Well I started with a Fractal tee-shirt, then I tried a Line 6 tee-shirt and then a brief time with a Kemper one (had to buy the lettering one by one for that) .... but I've come back to the Fractal

Please send me an AX8 M@???

Well I started with a Fractal tee-shirt, then I tried a Line 6 tee-shirt and then a brief time with a Kemper one (had to buy the lettering one by one for that) .... but I've come back to the Fractal

Please send me an AX8 M@???
I tried the Line 6 tee shirt. It lacked clarity and punch. Had to go back to the Fractal tee.

I am at that place right now. My sound was incredible before, with what I had. But now it is lacking something. I'm not sure if it is ear fatigue, from working so hard, to try to get a sound. Maybe it's my equipment, or maybe I'm expecting more because of the expense.h with no bites

Hi All,

My Axe Fx 2 using Quantum 2 has been up for sale now for a month just could not get it to work with my PA consisting of 2 qsc k12's and a sub.

I have a traditional pedal board and found a Joyo Americana pedal (like a sans amp pedal that lets you go straight to a PA) and my gig last night got nothing but complements. It really bugs me as I look over at my Axe Fx and realize its so awesome but I cant get it to sound like the $3o dollar joyo pedal through my QSC K12's.

This is not an Axe bash obviously a lot of guys are loving it but seeing here that a few guys have sold it makes me feel I was not loosing my mind and tweaking abilities after working with the axe fx for over 6 months. I am thinking of getting back into the axe again since its not so dire to get it to work as I have the Joyo rig getting the job done and my bad back can provide me with more Axe fx tweaking hobby time if I can stay clear of the rabbit hole I went down the last time.

Before someone buys the Axe from me my question to all here that have sold and re bought.... do you feel you just had to settle on the presets you made and then got used to them after the re buy or did you have to buy a high end FRFR monitor to make it sound more like what you were looking for in the first place or was it a firmware update? What changed?

Hi All,

Before someone buys the Axe from me my question to all here that have sold and re bought.... do you feel you just had to settle on the presets you made and then got used to them after the re buy or did you have to buy a high end FRFR monitor to make it sound more like what you were looking for in the first place or was it a firmware update? What changed?

I can't speak about going direct to PA. Being old school I still use guitar cab and mic.. I love having different sounds at my fingertips. I also love technology. For me, to be able to create a preset from scratch, with all the features I want is great. And just since my last post about being in the middle and not sure about the unit, I'm now 100% convince I made the right decision and am now really getting into the power of the AXE FX.
After purchasing my AXE, I really started to watch a lot of tutorials on how to setup presets. Then I applied my own knowledge of amps and dove into the many settings. I quickly discovered that the AXE is not just a modeler, it's virtual amp and cab factory, where you can create just about any tone you are hearing in your brain. Don't be afraid to experiment. I learned that from the may gurus right here. You won't blow up the AXE, like yo might with a real amp.

Last edited:
I can't speak about going direct to PA. Being old school I still use guitar cab and mic.. I love having different sounds at my fingertips. I also love technology. For me, to be able to create a preset from scratch, with all the features I want is great. And just since my last post about being in the middle and not sure about the unit, I'm now 100% convince I made the right decision and am now really getting into the power of the AXE FX.
After purchasing my AXE, I really started to watch a lot of tutorials on how to setup presets. Then I applied my own knowledge of amps and dove into the many settings. I quickly discovered that the AXE is not just a modeler, it's virtual amp and cab factory, where you can create just about any tone you are hearing in your brain. Don't be afraid to experiment. I learned that from the may gurus right here. You won't blow up the AXE, like yo might with a real amp.

Thanks for reply I guess my goal was always to be amp and cabinet free and it kept coming back to needing a expensive FRFR monitor to be happy so I opted no more cash out! Its either gonna work with my QSC's (just a PA) or not! I just could not get them to gel and the time it took tweaking took me away from the actual guitar playing. So I listed it on Craigslist.

Where do you play in Tampa heading to Clearwater for 3 weeks June 11th maybe I can check your band out?

ther Axe Fx delivered Monday. After selling it a while back and switching to a Helix and eventually a Kemper. I realized Fractal was better sounding. And its not even close.

I guess its the Dynamic and feel and the professional sound it carries. I'm also running it through the CLR active monitors too.

Fanboy? Nah...just want the best. And I got it...again.
Well, I just got my another Axe Fx delivered Monday. After selling it a while back and switching to a Helix and eventually a Kemper. I realized Fractal was better sounding. And its not even close.

I guess its the Dynamic and feel and the professional sound it carries. I'm also running it through the CLR active monitors too.

Fanboy? Nah...just want the best. And I got it...again.

Thanks Fractal Audio.
Did the exact same thing. Went thru the Kemper, the Helix, and then finally back to the trusty old Axe FX II. You just can't beat it!

Back
Top Bottom