Not Really Digging Axe Thru Headphones

* Headphone Correction Curves - Truly a game changer

Yep, I agree. So far, using the EQ correction, as mentioned by several people, has made the listening experience much better, probably by a factor of 2.

Unless the sound is just too loud for apartment living, I just don't get the fascination about using headphones listening to any guitar processor...

I didn't say this in the OP, but I added my reason in a reply, and I feel some may want to do the same... I bought the headphones specifically so I could hear the modelling capabilities of the AF3 without having to purchase FRFR gear just yet.

I don't live in an apartment; quite the opposite: I have the luxury of wheeling my cabs out onto the back porch and cranking the rig to arena volume levels. What an amazing sound that is, echoing off the trees in the woods, haha!! My neighbors, even though they are a half mile away, love Dream Theater, lol.

Yep, I agree. So far, using the EQ correction, as mentioned by several people, has made the listening experience much better, probably by a factor of 2.

I didn't say this in the OP, but I added my reason in a reply, and I feel some may want to do the same... I bought the headphones specifically so I could hear the modelling capabilities of the AF3 without having to purchase FRFR gear just yet.

I don't live in an apartment; quite the opposite: I have the luxury of wheeling my cabs out onto the back porch and cranking the rig to arena volume levels. What an amazing sound that is, echoing off the trees in the woods, haha!! My neighbors, even though they are a half mile away, love Dream Theater, lol.
remember that Output 1 is Hardwired to the headphone out (front) and Output 1 at the back (obviously)

so if you were to get studio monitors I advise to hook them up to Output 2 so you can interchange between listening/mixing between both headphones or speakers!

also I advise using the downloadable wav file for your headphones (I assume this is your model)

( https://github.com/jaakkopasanen/AutoEq/blob/master/results/oratory1990/harman_over-ear_2018/Beyerdynamic DT880 Black Edition/Beyerdynamic DT880 Black Edition minimum phase 48000Hz.wav )

put this file into a folder on your desktop

Download ( https://www.fractalaudio.com/cab-lab-3/ )

Go to Tools on Cab Lab Lite 3

(Update Edit: 4/20/21) Choose Wav2Syx...

Choose Ultra Res or Standard (I chose Ultrares)

For Source Folder , use the folder that has your downloaded wav file (I advise putting that wav file you downloaded into a new folder and putting it in your desktop folder )

for Destination Folder , just use your desktop folder for ease of searching

It'll make a new folder named SYX , there should be two files there with distinction at the end of their file names _L and _R , one for left and right

Now going on to AXE Edit III put a Cab Block just before the Out1 Block

In the Cab Block there will be 4 sections , where you can put/use 4 Impulse responses ,

NOW where the Purple text are you can drag the SYX files,
so using the file that has the _L put use that file and drag it onto CAB 1:L and Pan it Hard Left or -100

Now vice versa using the file with the file name ending in _R drag that file on the the next purple text to the right of where you put the first one , this section if the Cab Block is called Cab 2:R and Pan it hard right or 100

you should be able to hear the correction through your headphones (might need to turn up the level of the cab block)

Last edited:
remember that Output 1 is Hardwired to the headphone out (front) and Output 1 at the back (obviously)

so if you were to get studio monitors I advise to hook them up to Output 2 so you can interchange between listening/mixing between both headphones or speakers!

also I advise using the downloadable wav file for your headphones (I assume this is your model)

( https://github.com/jaakkopasanen/AutoEq/blob/master/results/oratory1990/harman_over-ear_2018/Beyerdynamic DT880 Black Edition/Beyerdynamic DT880 Black Edition minimum phase 48000Hz.wav )

For Source Folder , use the folder that has your downloaded wav file (I advise putting that wav file you downloaded into a new folder and putting it in your desktop folder )

It'll make a new folder named SYX , there should be two files there with distinction at the end of their file names _L and _R , one for left and right

In the Cab Block there will be 4 sections , where you can put/use 4 Impulse responses ,

so using the file that has the _L put use that file and drag it onto CAB 1:L and Pan it Hard Left or -100

Now vice versa using the file with the file name ending in _R drag that file on the the next purple text to the right of where you put the first one , this section if the Cab Block is called Cab 2:R and Pan it hard right or 100

you should be able to hear the correction through your headphones (might need to turn up the level of the cab block)
This is a bit deeper than I'm ready to explore yet (general time constraints being what they are, still trying to get certain guitar solos up to speed, still learning how to use the unit itself, as well as Axe Edit, and reading through all the writeups Cliff has posted on how the various parameters work), but I bookmarked this page, and downloaded the files, and appreciate your time to post that solution.

Just wanna verify one thing though: This is the headphones I have. Not exactly the one you linked to, but there was one called DT880 250 ohm.

Didn’t read every word of this thread (did see lots of great suggestions, though) but has anyone suggested a really good pair of custom-molded in-ear monitors (and possibly a outboard amp to drive them? I’m an Old SoundMan who likes to play Bedroom Rockstar, and my IEM’s (that I know are accurate b/c that’s what I do for a living) are sheer bliss. The AFX3 headphone out drives them loud enough to make me know I really shouldn’t listen that loud, but even more punch can be had with my small outboard DAC/amp (using analog in). You’ll spend $1K for an appropriate set of IEM’s, but you wouldn’t own an AXE3 if you didn’t want great sound and that’s what the good ones cost (or even more if you like). I use FutureSonics, but JHarvey or SensaPhonics or Ultimate Ears or 64Audio. all have great $1K IEMs.
Is it like standing in front of a dimed Engl driving two 4x12s? Nope. Do the FutureSonics make me close my eyes and forget where I am. Yep — and nobody else near me knows unless they see my “lead face”...

EDIT: I’m running 15.01 and AustinBuddy/YEK presets until Cygnus goes public release (any day now 🙏🏻😁).

Last edited:
Didn’t read every word of this thread (did see lots of great suggestions, though) but has anyone suggested a really good pair of custom-molded in-ear monitors (and possibly a outboard amp to drive them? I’m an Old SoundMan who likes to play Bedroom Rockstar, and my IEM’s (that I know are accurate b/c that’s what I do for a living) are sheer bliss. The AFX3 headphone out drives them loud enough to make me know I really shouldn’t listen that loud, but even more punch can be had with my small outboard DAC/amp (using analog in). You’ll spend $1K for an appropriate set of IEM’s, but you wouldn’t own an AXE3 if you didn’t want great sound and that’s what the good ones cost (or even more if you like). I use FutureSonics, but JHarvey or SensaPhonics or Ultimate Ears or 64Audio. all have great $1K IEMs.
Is it like standing in front of a dimed Engl driving two 4x12s? Nope. Do the FutureSonics make me close my eyes and forget where I am. Yep — and nobody else near me knows unless they see my “lead face”...

EDIT: I’m running 15.01 and AustinBuddy/YEK presets until Cygnus goes public release (any day now 🙏🏻😁).
I'm curious what you use for an outboard amp? I'm considering the FutureSonic MG6 HX set of IEMs.

I use an iBasso “Boa+” portable DAC/headphone amp that I’ve had forever. Built-in LI rechargeable battery, analog and USB inputs, size of a wireless belt pack, blow-your-brains-out loud and über-clean. Nice metal case and stout hardware — it’s too bad they don’t make them anymore. Today’s equivalent would probably be a “fiio” brand device — either portable/battery or a desktop model. Lots of others to choose from as well.

I personally like my HD650 headphones better than my 64Audio V6s custom molds.

I think it's about the "directness" of the IEMs...

I'm curious what you use for an outboard amp? I'm considering the FutureSonic MG6 HX set of IEMs.
LOVE the MG6! Best fidelity IEM b/c of single non-armature driver. Low frequency response goes down so low (and flat) that there are times when my ears convince my body I can feel it.

I personally like my HD650 headphones better than my 64Audio V6s custom molds.

I think it's about the "directness" of the IEMs...
I would agree. Me and armatures — even really top-drawer multi-driver IEMs — just never connected. I always felt like they were “overly-direct”, like little jackhammers hitting my eardrums. Couldn’t use them for very long w/o suffering ear fatigue.

Once I tried FutureSonics MG6Pro’s I never bought/recommended anything else. I still use them as a musical reference source (and target, truth be told) when I’m tuning large PA and studio monitor systems. They totally rock with my AFX3, and using cross-panned reverbs/fx helps combat feeling like there’s a Dumble in the middle of my head.

Headphones to me aren’t quite as accurate as my MG6’s have been — although the new Audix 150’s are pretty dang close. I’ve been told that headphone cup shapes and driver arrangements can’t accurately compensate for everyone’s different physical ear shapes/sizes/volumes the way a proper custom IEM fitment does by eliminating the outer ear from the equation.

....helps combat feeling like there’s a Dumble in the middle of my head.
Not that that's a bad thing necessarily. Preciate the IEM advice, but my GAS is ok, now that I've applied the EQ correction curve to my DT880's.

Btw, Excellent..., shit I hate getting old..., what's the little pic on the left called..., AVATAR!

I don't like playing though headphones, no matter what device I'm using. The times I have had to play real quiet, I have taken a stereo 1/4 to 1/8 cable and hooked the headphone jack to a fairly small bluetooth speaker that has a line-in. Then I just put that speaker pretty close and I can hear it very well (and in stereo), and it really doesn't sound bad for what it is.

When I travel, I'll do the same thing, but with one of those little VOX headphone amps that just sits in your guitar jack. It actually sounds pretty good and it is a tiny thing to tote around. And the bonus is that you can stream music from your phone via bluetooth to the speaker to play along with. So, in that situation, you only have the VOX, 1/8" to 1/8" cable and battery operated bluetooth stereo speaker. Doesn't get much more portable.

Out of curiosity does this produce a different result than the GEQ block?
Thanks!

Much better results hands down , while the GEQ isn't bad (general smooth correction)
using the corrective EQ IR (near pin point accuracy curve) file is much more accurate
Thanks! Definitely going to give this a try. I play almost exclusively through headphones (home with small kids and I play at 4am). I play with Fostex TH900s.

Thanks! Definitely going to give this a try. I play almost exclusively through headphones (home with small kids and I play at 4am). I play with Fostex TH900s.
Fostex TH900.png

Basically we are trying to fix this RED Error Line (your headphone's error compared to true neutral), for example there's big spike around 5500hz and big dip around 2500hz

What you are doing (GEQ) is the green separated lines, the Fixed Band EQ according to this picture

What the provided IR file that you need ( https://github.com/jaakkopasanen/Au... TH900/Fostex TH900 minimum phase 48000Hz.wav )

is the Green Equalization line according to this picture

one big difference compared to your GEQ and the IR method is you'd hear more ~5500hz using the GEQ , while using the IR file corrects it substantially

If one exists,...Where can I get a ( Headphone Correction Curve) wave file for the Mofi blues?
github.com/jaakkopasanen/AutoEq/tree/master/results/innerfidelity/innerfidelity_harman_over-ear_2018/Blue%20MOFI%20(active)

github.com/jaakkopasanen/AutoEq/tree/master/results/innerfidelity/innerfidelity_harman_over-ear_2018/Blue%20MOFI%20(active+)

github.com/jaakkopasanen/AutoEq/tree/master/results/innerfidelity/innerfidelity_harman_over-ear_2018/Blue%20MOFI%20(passive)

Not sure which your exact model is but choose the minimum phase 48000HZ.wav file as axe fx 3 works in 48000 Hz I believe

So I'm not sure if it's just me (my ears being accustomed to the sound of tube amps through 4x12 cabs), but after receiving my Beyerdynamic DT880 Pro headphones, and playing factory presets ~50-100, they all sound a bit "saturated?" Kinda like way back when my amp was at the rehearsal space, and I'd plug into my home stereo (if you've ever done that, you'd probably know what I mean.) Even if I turn down the gain, it still sounds similar. Hard to describe it any better.

I'm brand new to modelling, and I'm still on FW 14.05. I have amp modelling on, and cab modelling active.

Also, in this age of internet shopping, and the fact that you essentially can't audition an Axe Fx 3 before buying, how would one know for certain if there's a problem with some aspect of your new gear? As an example, a long time ago I bought a Road King amp and Recto cab, but there was a slight "buzziness" in the tone. But I was able to troubleshoot the issue by switching amps and cabs. I can't switch to a separate Axe 3 because, well, I don't have 2, and I don't know anyone near me that also owns one (although I seriously doubt what I'm hearing is the fault of the Axe.)

As for the headphones..., who knows? I guess it's possible mine have an issue, but again, I'm leaning to them not being the problem, although I suppose I could see if SW would send me another. But even in the event that some piece of brand new gear is in fact defective, my thinking would be that the next one they pull off the shelf would have the same problem, since the issue would be somehow related to problems, or lack of QC, in that production run.

What do you think? Is what I've described just the way it is with guys like me, coming from tube amps, and also never using headphones in the past? Should I try to locate someone who has this same gear, so I can A/B them? Is there a setting I missed? Try a different brand of headphone? Something else?

Edit: Oh, and I play an EBMM Majesty, which is hot, so I have the input 1 level at around 5%, since it clips when I engage the 20dB boost switch that guitar has. I remember reading in the manual that even very low settings that don't hit the reds at all are no problem (if you switch between hot guitars, and ones that are not, e.g.)
FWIW, and I can’t believe I’m about to say this, but for once, I can whole heartedly agree with an SSO OG LOL (budda)

ditch the studio, hi-fi headphones, return them if you can, and just use your normal mp3 earbuds that come free with Apple devices

two reasons that’s why I support the suggestion
1) most people listen through the ear buds; not $500 Bose or Behringer or hardon karsmon or not even half that - if anything they will spend $300+ on [yikes] Beats headphones - so you’ll want to hear what they hear in the mix so use the standard issue
2) your monitors are where you should be testing the sound; headphones are final final pieces to fine tuning or tweaking what is already mastered and mixed - if you didn’t hear it or can’t hear it or you didn’t fix it in the studio then the best $700 headphones like DT770 or 990s or Bose will make absolutely no difference except that you paid a lot of money for amazing headphones to enjoy OTHER peoples music lol

so yeah, ditch the pricey stuff, go open up your Apple iPhone X box and pull out those ear buds ; then you’ll hear what 99% of everyone else who is going to hear your music is hearing too

hope that helps

Last edited:
Sorry for my ignorance. This is all foreign to me and navigating the github site is like rocket science to me,... I went to the github site and tried to find a download link for these file names you posted here and had no success at all even finding anything about them.... Can you post the direct download link(s) for the 3 files?

Back
Top Bottom