Not Really Digging Axe Thru Headphones

those are more expensive than the Axe3. No... I’d rather bother the neighbours for that price. Im sure they would sound amazing... I’m lucky to have the axe

Last edited:
Wow, lots of quick responses. Thank you very much! A little more of my thought process...

Since I mainly bought the AF3 as a multi-effects processor, I wasn't initially even concerned with the amp models, until I started hearing the forum banter: "This new FW is finally good enough for me to sell my tube amps", "I dialed in a tone on my AF3 that sounds exactly like my _____ tube amp", etc. And since I spent a lot of money on gear last year (new Majesty, 3K, used Tri-Axis/2:90 and a 2nd Recto cab, 2k, and of course the Axe), the last thing I wanted to do was spend even more money on FRFR equip. But I thought, hey, if it's truly that good, maybe I can start selling off some of this heavy gear as a start. But I want to convince myself, first. The effects are effin amazing, but I'll admit, I'm more than a little intrigued by the modelling components as well.

But I also wanted to hear, realistically, what all the modelling hype was about, so I figured the best 'dip my toes in the water' choice was headphones. I knew they needed to be relatively flat, so I read many posts, and many people here commented they hear the same thing from their DT 880's as from their FRFR monitors (although tbh, many also said the opposite.) So I figured the worst that could happen is the cans possibly wouldn't capture the models exactly. But the reviews I read generally led me to believe that the slight changes in the upper areas of the frequency curve weren't enough to matter (albeit, a subjective viewpoint, but for $250, I figured, wth.)

Now, one tone I do know is John Petrucci. And unlike the guy who was unhappy with the tones he was getting through his cans, partly because he was using an Ibanez to play Eric Johnson (I also read the other threads I could find on this topic), I have the best starting point, the Majesty. Plus, I've previously dialed in Pull Me Under (crunch rhythms as well as clean tones) on my Dual Rec, using a Boss CE-5 chorus for the cleans, so well that my musician friends (who are also DT fanatics) can't believe their ears. And he didn't even use that amp on that song!

So the first preset I auditioned on these phones was 'Petrucci Rig,' Crunch Me Under. It wasn't even close, to my ears! Yes, I read responses that suggested using global EQ to compensate for the frequency curve of the headphones, but what I'm hearing doesn't sound like an EQ issue.

I even doubt it's truly a perception issue, in that a guitar, played through a speaker enclosure, set at some distance from your ears, just isn't going to sound the same as through headphones, because the music I listen to on my phone, using these tiny earbuds supplied with the phone, sound freakin' amazing!

It's been suggested in a few places here to compensate with certain reverb settings, so I'll try that. And if anyone could show me, or point me to, the exact EQ settings I'd need to use, to compensate for the frequency curve of the DT 880's, I'd also appreciate that. Edit: I see now that's what that link was to.

So again, thanks for all the responses (and I'm going to read the link posted above also)! This place is great, especially for a newb like myself. I guess my overall, "WTF?" reaction to listening to the AF3 thru these cans, was how..., "saturated"(?), overly 'gainy' maybe, the presets I listened to so far sounded.

Last edited:
DT880s are awesome so I doubt that's the problem.
I have no idea what you're perceiving and headphones would be a last resort option for playing guitar to me but hopefully you get it resolved.

I think I get the criticism, which I attribute to the headphones. I was gifted a pair of DT800 pros last Christmas. Depending on the impedance model, they can be sensitive to too high of levels (I was given the 32 ohm set, and didn't realize the other options until it was too late to exchange them). Compared to a pair of Blue Lola's that I'm accustomed to, the upper-mids seem subdued to the point of making guitar tones seem flat, if not buried (maybe not a smiley face eq, but more of a smirk (?)). However, I do like using them as another point of reference for mixing, and enjoy them when listening to any produced audio (music tracks, video, etc.).

I have a relatively enjoyable experience with the Lola's, with a slightly higher reverb level than I would want to record or use in a live setting. As of late, I've been utilizing small room verbs as well, as opposed to spacious reverbs. If I want space, I'll kick on the plexi-delay instead. And if I can, I'd much rather listen through a poweramp and cab cranked up.

Ok, I just applied the correction EQ settings globally, and it does sound a lot better. Maybe a bit of confirmation bias, but whatever. Much more realistic. If the other presets sound as nice as the one I just checked, I'd say I'm done.

Thanks again to all who replied!

Those Beyerdynamics are extremely bright. For what it's worth, but try some other cans. Open headphones will feel less claustrophobic.

I really like my DT 880 with the Axe iIi, taste is different.
Maybe that neutral sound is not everyone’s choice but I like that because I can use every preset with my FRFR without tweaking that every I made with the 880.
I have done a lot of studio work an I highly appreciate neutral sound speakers, headphones etc.

As said previously, read https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/headphone-correction-eq-curves.167884/

Then using that information, build a GEQ block to flatten your headphone’s sound, and save it in the library so you can drop it into a preset immediately before the Out block.

Upgrade the firmware to 15.1. If you’re new to modeling I’d hold off going to Cygnus until you feel the need to change and know you can troubleshoot resetting and adjusting your presets. It does sound better after tweaking, but take on one task at a time.

Headphones inject the sound into your head but they’re not going to correct for the Fletcher Munson Effect, so turn them up until they’re comfortably loud, but not loud enough to make your ears ring or distort — it’s possible to hurt your hearing with headphones, just like with regular speakers or monitors. At a comfortable volume the bass and highs will be clear and sound balanced with the midrange assuming you haven’t made serious tonal adjustments.

You should be able to hear the sound from your amp clearly at that point. Over saturation usually happens because we’re trying to compensate for the lack of the guitar-amp feedback loop and turn up the gain too much, so reduce the guitar’s volume control and see if the signal sounds better. If so, turn down the gain in the amp block and turn up the guitars’s volume more, repeating that until the guitar is at its full volume and the modeled sound is just under that over-saturated point.

You can also get over-saturated sound with too much bass. If it’s starting to get an over saturated, farty, sound you might need to reduce the lows, either in the amp block’s EQ or prior to the amp block. Fractal’s wiki has lots of good information, especially for the amp block so read those pages. In particular https://wiki.fractalaudio.com/wiki/index.php?title=Amp_block#Cleaning_up_gain_with_the_guitar might help.

Nothing’s special . I don’t like the sound in headphones too . It sound synthetic with my shure shr840.... and it’s a good headphone when I mix or I listen music with it ....

Wow, lots of quick responses. Thank you very much! A little more of my thought process...

Since I mainly bought the AF3 as a multi-effects processor, I wasn't initially even concerned with the amp models, until I started hearing the forum banter: "This new FW is finally good enough for me to sell my tube amps", "I dialed in a tone on my AF3 that sounds exactly like my _____ tube amp", etc. And since I spent a lot of money on gear last year (new Majesty, 3K, used Tri-Axis/2:90 and a 2nd Recto cab, 2k, and of course the Axe), the last thing I wanted to do was spend even more money on FRFR equip. But I thought, hey, if it's truly that good, maybe I can start selling off some of this heavy gear as a start. But I want to convince myself, first. The effects are effin amazing, but I'll admit, I'm more than a little intrigued by the modelling components as well.

But I also wanted to hear, realistically, what all the modelling hype was about, so I figured the best 'dip my toes in the water' choice was headphones. I knew they needed to be relatively flat, so I read many posts, and many people here commented they hear the same thing from their DT 880's as from their FRFR monitors (although tbh, many also said the opposite.) So I figured the worst that could happen is the cans possibly wouldn't capture the models exactly. But the reviews I read generally led me to believe that the slight changes in the upper areas of the frequency curve weren't enough to matter (albeit, a subjective viewpoint, but for $250, I figured, wth.)

Now, one tone I do know is John Petrucci. And unlike the guy who was unhappy with the tones he was getting through his cans, partly because he was using an Ibanez to play Eric Johnson (I also read the other threads I could find on this topic), I have the best starting point, the Majesty. Plus, I've previously dialed in Pull Me Under (crunch rhythms as well as clean tones) on my Dual Rec, using a Boss CE-5 chorus for the cleans, so well that my musician friends (who are also DT fanatics) can't believe their ears. And he didn't even use that amp on that song!

So the first preset I auditioned on these phones was 'Petrucci Rig,' Crunch Me Under. It wasn't even close, to my ears! Yes, I read responses that suggested using global EQ to compensate for the frequency curve of the headphones, but what I'm hearing doesn't sound like an EQ issue.

I even doubt it's truly a perception issue, in that a guitar, played through a speaker enclosure, set at some distance from your ears, just isn't going to sound the same as through headphones, because the music I listen to on my phone, using these tiny earbuds supplied with the phone, sound freakin' amazing!

It's been suggested in a few places here to compensate with certain reverb settings, so I'll try that. And if anyone could show me, or point me to, the exact EQ settings I'd need to use, to compensate for the frequency curve of the DT 880's, I'd also appreciate that. Edit: I see now that's what that link was to.

So again, thanks for all the responses (and I'm going to read the link posted above also)! This place is great, especially for a newb like myself. I guess my overall, "WTF?" reaction to listening to the AF3 thru these cans, was how..., "saturated"(?), overly 'gainy' maybe, the presets I listened to so far sounded.
Just a side note. Run the AxeFX into your 2:90, dial up an amp from scratch, eq as you see fit, and you will see what this thing can do!
If you eq the output so the AxeFX sounds the same as your Tri-Axis with that amp loaded, other amps should sound great too.

I would hate to have you think that what your hearing through a set of DT-880s is representative of everything the Axe can do.

Last edited:
The whole Beyerdynamic DT770/880/990 series has a massive high end boost and a dip in the mids. There is nothing neutral about them. This makes them somewhat harsh for guitar and you will want to use the global EQ to cut the highs and boost the mids. Look up the frequency response curve of your headphones or the settings from AutoEQ github and adjust the global EQ accordingly.

Then it’s doing all the other things for headphones, look up the Axe-fx wiki section on headphones and IEMs.

Also build your presets for your output devices. Nothing is truly transparent or flat and that is especially true for headphones. The same preset dialed in for one set of headphones will sound vastly different with another set. Stock presets are just starting points and need adjustments to work with your gear.

Finally volume matters. You will most likely enjoy the sound more when it’s louder but be careful with your hearing.

Last edited:
I love hearing all the detail of playing through my 64 audio IEM's. As someone already pointed out, volume makes a difference with IEM's just like large speakers. It always amazes me when I pop my IEM's out during a set break at a gig how damn loud the background noise from people talking is. My ears are much happier than during my full stack days.

Switching from a loud amp in the room to headphones is going to take some getting used to. It's just very different experiences. In headphones or studio monitors it's very easy to hear the saturation on clean sounds that you would never noticed with an amp until you listen to a recording of said amp.

I have been playing with in-ears for the last 8-10 years. I have almost forgotten what it feels like to play with a loud amp.
I can say that listening to an amp in in-ears and the Axe in in-ears are very similar experiences.

These things have made the biggest difference for me and now I love using headphones.

* Room Reverb - Personally, I like Studio C and medium room, usually set the mix between 8-15%. Play around with the stereo spread.

* Gain Enhancer - Try starting with 1.20 at a threshold of -32

* Headphone Correction Curves - Truly a game changer

* The Enhancer Block - I prefer the default setting. There’s also a Pitch Block setting in Cooper’s Petrucci Rig preset that approximates the TC Mimic, I really like it on headphones.

* Volume - Try to set it at a level somewhat similar to what you’d get from playing through a speaker. Not literally, of course. Just enough volume to get the feeling of power.

Unless the sound is just too loud for apartment living, I just don't get the fascination about using headphones listening to any guitar processor, unless you are mixing/mastering a mix of instruments. Even then you go back to the Studio monitors, and usually multiples of each.

Back
Top Bottom