Not happy with CPU room

How do you think the unit would handle replicating some of Gimour's rig on a song say like Run like hell, with compressor, tube drive, two delays, a chorus or rotary to get swirly stereo effect, a multitap delay with filter. Would it run out of CPU? MY Ultra can do it, but it sounds like the FX8 may struggle?

It MIGHT be able to handle that... as long as you don't add anything else and as long as you don't add any reverb (at any density/quality level)

It can do exactly that. I have a killer Run Like Hell preset I have used live in my Floyd tribute band many times.
This FX8 preset has Comp, Drive, Phaser, Flange, Vol pdl, chorus, and two delays. Run this through a MarkV:25 in four cable method clean and get major major compliments.

Also have a Axe II MFC rig I use in that band as well.. Just depends what I feel like using, The FX8 with an amp is glorious though!

Not trying to hijack the thread, just wanted to make a comment to those still researching the FX8. When I saw this thread it made my heart sink as I had just pulled the trigger on one and now I've discovered a possible deal breaker with it? Gladly, for my purposes and applications it works better than anticipated. Yes, you can attempt to create presets that run out of CPU. However, I'm in a cover band that requires me to create a wide variety of tones, several ambient tones with multiple delays and reverbs. I've yet to find one I cannot create with the FX8. The bottom line for me is this; would I be able to put together a board that will come remotely close to what the FX8 will do for the same price (including cables, expression pedals etc...). I've come to the conclusion that it's not possible. I've sold a lot of gear, some good and some average, to purchase this unit and I have found at least the same quality, and more often better tone, greater flexibility and versatility in the FX8. Hope this helps someone and thanks for letting be babble :)

I concur. I recommend this unit with a nice reverb at the end of the chain. I use an Eventide Space. With 2 expression pedals and a nice external reverb, I don't come close to CPU limits running all 8 FX with as it turns out more and more complex controls via expression, adsr, envelope, etc. The configurability allows you to basically create any effect you want, and control it any way you want, limited mostly by your creativity. I spent all night working with this unit and came away extremely impressed by the quality and the amazing control options to modulate the effects. Really the integration of all the effects to unified control is worth the price of admission.

Missing my MFC101....LOVED that layout. A super Fractal FX pedal that allowed 5-10 presets per bank and 7-12 IA is ideally heaven for me.

May just buy a Axe Fx II XL and MFC101 again and get a head case with 2 space rack built in. This may be what I end up having to do. Again, waiting on my amp head...so we will see. Getting David Friedman to make me a relay cable to 7 din that switches EVH head channels as we speak too!

Are you sure this relay cable will work? Others have said it won't work until new Firmware is released. I need one of these cables also! Please let me know if it works.

Back
Top Bottom