Not enough headphone volume

Zman

Inspired
Tonight I tried the Headphone jack with some AKG 240's and I am not getting near enough volume maxed. I am probably half deaf but I think I am missing something.

AKG 240's are open ear headphones.... they let sound both in and out... in a studio environment, we had bought a bunch of the AKG's and returned them due to bleed into mics, and lack of volume... we replaced them with the Sony MDR headphones...

Try a pair of closed ear headphones, and it should be a whole different story...

I actually had the cab level out too low on the preset I was working on I noticed. My goof but still just barely loud enough. Could be my headphones plus my headphones are like 15 years old probably time for some new ones LOL.

dude theyre like 600ohm headphones im pretty sure, your gonna need a lot of grunt to get them humming. Check out some Audio Technicias ATH-M50s, theyre the best for the price. I need a kick arse headphone amp to run my HD650s but the ATH-M50s crank even with an ipod. And theyre cheap :D

I wonder if it is possible to modify the headphone amp of the AxeII. Of course it would void the warranty, but I think it is more than doable (for someone who can solder) to replace the IC, and a few passive components to make it more powerful. Hmmm? Or maybe it just isn't worth it.

I have a nice pair off Senn 650 and Grado GS1000i headphones. They are high end and sound great out of the Axe. I also have some old Sony and Akg sets whose model numbers I do not know. They are low end cans. While all have thier differences, they all sound great and have no problems being driven by the II.

It's just an impedance issue, as mentioned earlier. Get lower impedance headphones and you will have plenty of volume. You really need a headphone amp to drive a 600 ohm load. I have a pair of 240's and they work well on a professional mixing console, but not so much as general purpose cans. For practice I use Sony MDR-V900 and they plenty of volume.

Well I hope it drives my Senn HD600s... I never even thought to consider this because my GSP1101 ran them just fine.

Cheers.

Edit: just reread cobblers post and saw he's running some 650s fine so I should be sweet. Sorry for the redundant post.

Cheers :0)

Last edited:
dude theyre like 600ohm headphones im pretty sure, your gonna need a lot of grunt to get them humming. Check out some Audio Technicias ATH-M50s, theyre the best for the price. I need a kick arse headphone amp to run my HD650s but the ATH-M50s crank even with an ipod. And theyre cheap :D

I second that. I have the ATH-M50's and they blow away anything I've tried short of $280 Sennheisers. And they're about $109. The Sony's mentioned (7506) and the M50 are probably the top 2 for that price. Go somewhere you might be able to try out both and decide for yourself.

+1 on this. I have both the ATH-M50s and the AKG 240s. The M50s sound great for the $, are very comfortable, sealed and are fairly efficient. The AKGs sound good, too, but you need a powerful headphone amp to get them to decent levels, more amp than a lot of gear has. Also have a pair of the Sonys 7506 phones which I like as well, but I like the M50s better. YMMV, but both the Sony and AT achieve much higher volume levels for the same input than the AKG.

Back
Top Bottom