Not completely satisfied with the ART SLA-2

ML SOUND LAB

Cab Pack Wizard
Vendor
Let me explain where I'm coming from. The Axe-Fx just simply rocks when using the direct line outs and I use the same tones when I record and play live. I know what I want and I know how to get it. I also know what I don't like and right now I have a feeling I'll be selling my ART SLA-2 and rather use in-ears then use the SLA-2 + real cab. Why? The SLA-2 has a flubby unballsy low end and a brittle high end. I'm comparing this to a Mesa 2:100 power amp where all of my patches sound AMAZING! I know Cliff said that Mesa power amps are transparent but that must be a different kind of transparent than the ART SLA-2 since they sound nothing alike. :?

Do you guys gave any tips how to make the ART SLA-2 sound better/realistic. Now it feels like there's a sharp peaking EQ boost somewhere in the upper register... I won't be using PEQ to compensate.

I was also checking out the Rocktron Velocity series since I've been hearing good things about them. Have any of you compared the two?

the mesa is coloring it.. the art is not. you will have to use some filters to get rid of the high end the art is letting through, and the filter trick to tighten up the bass. i use an old ADA b200s and i dont have any issue with either as i suspect it's coloring it some. when i use my ears i have to do the filter thing to get rid of some of those nasty highs.

Yeah, im not surprised.

I sold my art sla-2 when i got my mesa 2:100. I could never get the axe-fx /art sla-2 combination to have the sizzle, attack and depth of notes that im used to with tube amps. For a while i was kinda ok with my tone. Sounds decent direct through studio monitors, but into a real guitar cab.... not close enough i.m.o. And no i did not have cab sims on.

After comparing my new Mesa Mark V to the Axe-fx/mesa 2:100 combination i am now using the axe-fx for effects only in the loop of the mark V. I even compared, amongst others, the mark II and IV (sag to 0 i.e. power amp sims disabled) to the real Mark V preamp by putting the axe-fx into the effects return of my mark V, by comparison, the axe-fx preamps sounded more 2 dimensional, compressed and dull...... every time. Not the most scientific test i know..... but eq aside....there are certain characteristics that shouldve been there if it was as good as "the real thing"..... and this was only the preamp sims being tested!

Ive had my axe-fx for 2 years now...... and since getting it, along with countless hours of tweaking, ive been through an insane amount of power amps and guitar cabs trying to make it sound like ive read it can sound. Havent gotten there yet. I did however not go further into SS amp territory than the art sla-2...maybe that was my mistake. But even some of the big shots on the board have said that solid state amps only differ slightly from one another and can usually be made to sound almost the same with a db or so boost/cut here and there.

Please posts your findings...and if you get a fix for your problem or find a better solid state amp that lets the axe-fx shine through id be really keen to try it out... I'm all for a lighter more compact, tube-replacement-free rig.

Edit: I last used the axe-fx and the art sla-2 on firmware 9.03 so things might have changed with firmware 10.

I'm not willing to tweak all of my 20+ live patches with different low and high filters. It'll just take too much time and I'm sure I'll never be 100% satisfied with the end result. Less is more always wins IMHO.

I just found a guy who's selling a Rocktron Velocity 100 nearby so I'm going to A/B these two and see if it has enough power for my needs. Still... would be a lot cheaper to get in-ears.

You don't need tubes to get the tone you are after. Not all SS power amps are created equal. I would try moving up to a higher power/higher end unit.

JR

Cron said:
...big shots on the board have said that solid state amps only differ slightly from one another and can usually be made to sound almost the same with a db or so boost/cut here and there.

That's a load of crap. Mental masturbation at it's finest.

You owe it to yourself to audition a decent SS amp. It is a very competitive market and you absolutely get what you pay for. Cheapo amp = cheapo results. It takes a lot more SS power than a tube amp to do the same thing so don't skimp.

I have to agree with the previous two posters. I haven't tried the ART poweramps, so I am only having a guess here. It would seem as though they don't have quite enough power. However, the fact that they are 1U and affordable is still a very good advantage. If you are getting the sounds you like direct, and it sounds good when you play it back on your recordings, then my guess is that you need something a bit higher fidelity. It doesn't make sense to me to run something as refined as the AXE through an "affordable" power amp and speakers. If you are running a SS amp, my guess is you would need a very well built (high quality like the Mesa) and very powerful amplifier. As hard as it was to save the money and pay for the axe, I also think you have to save the money and buy a good quality power amp. If you already own the Mesa, then just use it. I believe it would sound excellent. Someone mentioned on another thread about the Mesa 400. That seems like it would be the perfect power amp for the AXE. Very high fidelity, and you could get pretty loud without it compressing. Who cares if you have to spend a few hundred every few years for tubes. Its about tone. All of those active monitors that people are using usually push around 500 watts or more per speaker. That is "active" watts, so would probably be equivalent to 750 watts a speaker passive. The ART just isn't going to do that. Just start researching what the good sound guys who run quality PAs use. They will know. It appears that you know what it should sound like. So go try some power amps until you are happy you have found the right one. I just don't think you should restrict yourself to "guitar" oriented companies like Rocktron... Are you using FRFR on stage? Or guitar cabs? I have been posting waayyyy too much here lately. I hope I am not getting on everyones nerves.

widrace said:
Cron said:
...big shots on the board have said that solid state amps only differ slightly from one another and can usually be made to sound almost the same with a db or so boost/cut here and there.

You owe it to yourself to audition a decent SS amp. It is a very competitive market and you absolutely get what you pay for. Cheapo amp = cheapo results. It takes a lot more SS power than a tube amp to do the same thing so don't skimp.

This was the impression i got from reading this board for 2 years. Ive never seen a post along the lines of: "I had the art sla2 and now use brand X SS power amp and tonally its better than the Art when used with the axe-fx"

FWIW.... I NEVER had a problem power wise with the art sla-2 into guitar cabs. It was plenty loud without ever clipping.

Recommend me some SS amps and please be specific about make and model.... I'll be sure to try them If i can find them and report back. (Sorry for slight thread jack Clark but we are after the same thing after all :D )

Cron said:
widrace said:
Cron said:

This was the impression i got from reading this board for 2 years. Ive never seen a post along the lines of: "I had the art sla2 and now use brand X SS power amp and tonally its better than the Art when used with the axe-fx"

FWIW.... I NEVER had a problem power wise with the art sla-2 into guitar cabs. It was plenty loud without ever clipping.

Recommend me some SS amps and please be specific about make and model.... I'll be sure to try them If i can find them and report back. (Sorry for slight thread jack Clark but we are after the same thing after all :D )

I guess it always seems to boil down to dollars and cents. I have used several SS amps and though I can hear slight differences, in all the amps I have plugged into in the end it's what works best for you and your budget. If a Tube amp, power or a traditional head twirls your beanie and works for you then that is what you need to use regardless of what anyone says... Rock on :twisted:

I use the ART because if fit my requirements, 1st it was single space, 2nd it was fairly light weight when comparing it to other two space amps of the same type, toroidal transformers in this case. 3rd the build quality was the best when comparing it to other single space amps in it's price range.

To date I have played my Axe through the following SS amps - ART SLA-2, Carvin DCM150, Crown CE1000, QSC RMX 1500a, 1850, 2000, 3000 and the PL4 and Crest Audio's CPX 2600. All have their slight differences at volume but the biggest difference seem to be in total available power to deliver enough authority at higher volumes, the ridiculous kind that requires earplugs volume and still keep headroom. Personally for FR I think speakers play a bigger roll in your tone then the amp does. If a decent quality SS amp is built to be transparent then aside from the way you tune your presets in the Axe the speakers that you use are going to be the biggest coloring factor in the signal chain.

The high end brittleness you speak of with the ART is there and I notice it when ever I really turn things up so I just retune the preset to work at that volume. Funny thing is I have noticed that with all the SS amps I have worked with wether it be for PA or the Axe, some more than others but it is there to some degree. Call it Fletcher–Munson or whatever I have accepted the fact that you need to tune your preset or your mixing board to work at the volumes you want to listen at this goes for FR as well as guitars cabs.

FIW one thing that I remember doing with tube heads that used to own is when I turned it up I always backed off treble and or presents to compensate for the increased volume.

Well the ART SLA-2 sure has plenty of volume. I have volume half way up and it's just about as loud as a 100W head. It's just mostly the high end weirdness that I can't stand. I think my demands are so high that I'd have to get a Mesa 2:100 fully satisfied. I had a Reactor before I had the ART and that sure wasn't my thing. There was no way I could get my tone to cut with another guitarist with a shitty 100W head.

The Dual Recto I've been using isn't my own. It's at our recording studio but not at our rehearsal space so I can't use it.

I'm pretty sure I'm going to buy wireless in-ears.

Back
Top Bottom