Which Firmware do you Prefer

Votes: 70 89.7%
  • Pre 7.00

Votes: 8 10.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

AndrewKirkland

Inspired
I just upgraded my firmware from 6.03.1 and was not pleased with the results in Quantum 7.01. I preferred all my old presets and had spent two years refining them to exactly where I want them, using different firmwares. I actually am using Quantum 3 for alot of my presets(amp model version) in 6.03.1. I did not make any new presets with the optical compressor,shimmer drive, and new transformer modeling. I did try them in some of the presets I had and they did have a cool sound(comp/drive), so I am not going to knock those new features. However, I prefer the old sounds I have in 6.03.1. I do not really need the new compressor/shimmer drive either especially since I would lose all my other sounds, and don't want to spend time tweaking 90+ of my user created presets. Sometime I will try making new presets using the shimmer drive, optical comp 1, and a Matchless/fender setup. I also did not turn cabs off so it could of affected my experience. (I use cabs with all my old sounds and use a power amp through real 4x12 cabs as well)

This is just an opinion, if you enjoy the update that is awesome. I am only stating that it really altered my presets and I did not like it. It would be nice if going back to old firmwares was possible again. I know this is a pain for the engineers, but I would pay more to add extra memory to the unit to do this. I am curious if anyone else has had issues getting their presets to sound the same, or if they were able to make them sound better with the new firmware. This is just an opinion, I tested my sound recording AES with the different firmwares, and just hearing it out of my power amp/cabs afterwards. I downgraded so I have my sounds back. (I always save the old firmwares) With 6.03.1 I have all the sounds/features I need. One thing everyone can agree on is that Fractal is an amazing company.

I believe that 7.** was the most significant change yet. I hear people talk about how much tweaking they have to do after a new FW - I don't really understand it - At this point I can scrap my old preset - spend literally 5 minutes and have a better tone than before. Loving 7 !

I believe that 7.** was the most significant change yet. I hear people talk about how much tweaking they have to do after a new FW - I don't really understand it - At this point I can scrap my old preset - spend literally 5 minutes and have a better tone than before. Loving 7 !
That is cool, I would have to agree that for 98% of the updates I would not have to tweak anything at all. This update was different though. Many of my presets took a very long time to tweak and get where I wanted them. I am sure I could have made a new preset that sounded good, but the point was that I would not be able to get the old presets to sound exactly the same as they were before. I have a ton of presets for specific guitars/setups with other rack fxs that I need the same for recordings I am working on. I am sure there is a way to get old presets to sound similar in 7.01, but not exact. Ultimately I like Quantum 3 the best for the amp modeling. I wish I could have the new features for new sounds, but keep my old ones in tact too.

If you add a 7.02 option I'll vote, and yes it makes my existing presets sound better across the board :)
I haven't tried 7.02 yet, any big differences between that and 7.01? That is cool, I think most people like the sound with the presets after upgrading, however I am sure there are others like me that prefer their old presets.

I am getting so good at adjusting after releases now that it really is almost automatic for me at this point, I do the Betas. I also only maintain my top 10 or so presets, and if something doesn't sound good after a firmware release I will spend a few minutes on it and if that doesn't work I delete it and start from scratch. I know the sounds I want in my head so it usually is a very fast process. Sometimes I move on to a new amp if I feel like it will be too much work adjusting the amp I used before.

The latest firmware is unbelievable. Everyday I have a revelation and think I've found my new favourite amp. Today it was the Friedman BE. I think it's got a lot to do with those tv mix IRs that got added because they sound amazing with almost everything.

I haven't tried 7.02 yet, any big differences between that and 7.01? That is cool, I think most people like the sound with the presets after upgrading, however I am sure there are others like me that prefer their old presets.

Amp modeling is the same. The new motor drive in the cab block is very powerful and makes dialing in great tone a lot easier. I didn't change anything in my presets except adjust bass level on a couple and add the amount of motor drive I think sounded good, which is around 11 o'clock knob position (3 to 4? ) usually for my taste.

Cliff stated that 7.01 and 7.02 are the same as far as the amps go.

The evolution of this device is just amazing to me. Every time we turn a corner and we all think holy S*%t how can it get any better than this???? Remember Fw 16? And then G3 ? Then onto Quantum and once we hit Q3 we all thought oh man this is it we have arrived. And now at Q7 the difference from Q6 is even night and day like game changer night and day. I have kinda gotten to the point now thatI don't even bother with can it get any better because I just know Cliff is always working and brain storming. Q7 yeah best I have ever heard and I'm sure Q10 will be yet another game changer best money I have ever spent.

I just upgraded my firmware from 6.03.1 and was not pleased with the results in Quantum 7.01. I preferred all my old presets and had spent two years refining them to exactly where I want them, using different firmwares. I actually am using Quantum 3 for alot of my presets(amp model version) in 6.03.1. I did not make any new presets with the optical compressor,shimmer drive, and new transformer modeling. I did try them in some of the presets I had and they did have a cool sound(comp/drive), so I am not going to knock those new features. However, I prefer the old sounds I have in 6.03.1. I do not really need the new compressor/shimmer drive either especially since I would lose all my other sounds, and don't want to spend time tweaking 90+ of my user created presets. Sometime I will try making new presets using the shimmer drive, optical comp 1, and a Matchless/fender setup. I also did not turn cabs off so it could of affected my experience. (I use cabs with all my old sounds and use a power amp through real 4x12 cabs as well)

This is just an opinion, if you enjoy the update that is awesome. I am only stating that it really altered my presets and I did not like it. It would be nice if going back to old firmwares was possible again. I know this is a pain for the engineers, but I would pay more to add extra memory to the unit to do this. I am curious if anyone else has had issues getting their presets to sound the same, or if they were able to make them sound better with the new firmware. This is just an opinion, I tested my sound recording AES with the different firmwares, and just hearing it out of my power amp/cabs afterwards. I downgraded so I have my sounds back. (I always save the old firmwares) With 6.03.1 I have all the sounds/features I need. One thing everyone can agree on is that Fractal is an amazing company.

You'll have a hard time with firmware updates that involve new Amp Block features if you expect your previous presets to sound the same as they did (or even better) prior to the update.
You'll always have to do some tweaking to the new revised Amp Block parameters.
Expect it and you won't get so frustrated.
Almost always you'll be able to achieve better results from the same Amp Type via the newer firmware.

But occasionally you might need to use a different Amp Type if the one you were using gets modded too drastically to achieve the same type of tone you had it doing before.
It's rare, but it happens.

I am also still on Quantum 6. Not because I don't like 7 - I still haven't tried 7 yet. But to me personally, consistency of tone for recording is more important than having the most realistic firmware. I don't think I will upgrade FW again unless a modelling version switch is present. I understand that the axe 2 is low on ROM so this feature probably won't return. But if it sounds good, it is good, right?

I am also still on Quantum 6. Not because I don't like 7 - I still haven't tried 7 yet. But to me personally, consistency of tone for recording is more important than having the most realistic firmware. I don't think I will upgrade FW again unless a modelling version switch is present. I understand that the axe 2 is low on ROM so this feature probably won't return. But if it sounds good, it is good, right?

You should try the latest, it only takes a min to roll back.

I keep getting sucked into the new firmware; So far I love this one! I too am getting fairly good a t tweeking my presets, I do have a ton. HOwever Ive learned to toss old ones that just dont work anymore. Sometimes its the IR that needs to change.

Back
Top Bottom