Volume pedal causing non-auto engaged effects to become engaged

marklumsley

I've come across what I believe to be a bug:

I have assigned an envelope controller to the 'control' knob of the 'Pitch' block (Ad. Whammy), so that when the string is struck at a certain velocity, it 'whammys' the pitch up an octave and back down (like Morello).
The pitch block is active only in scene 5 for this effect to take place while every other scene does its own thing without any other pitch effects.

The problem:

If I don't touch the volume pedal (assigned 'ext. 2' to a volume/pan block via a Behringer FCB1010... yes, I know, I know...), everything is fine and works as intended. But if I use the volume pedal while in ANY scene (except for scene 5) for volume swells, the pitch block activates automatically as if set to auto-engage.

The pitch effect is not auto-engaged (the only thing that's auto-engaged is the wah block assigned to 'ext. 1') and the volume block must of course remain active for the patch.

I've tried turning the unit on and off, I've tried unhooking the USB from the computer, and I've even tried swapping and changing the blocks around, and I can't think of anything I haven't done.
Has anyone else run into this problem and if so, what do I do?? It's most annoying. :)

Can you post the preset?

Also list your settings for "EXT CTRL 2" and "PITCH1 BYP" from the I/O: CTRL menu.

Last edited:
The effect is on scene 6, my bad, not scene 5. That's the only place out of all 6 scenes where it should 'whammy'.
EXT CTRL 2 is set to 7 and PITCH1 BYP is set to 77. Wonder if that's the bug?
Should I try to change the 77 to something else?

Attachments

• ForeverAutumnCont..syx
    12.6 KB · Views: 1
Pitch block has a "Voice 1 Scale" modifier assigned, Ext Ctrl 2 as source and autoengage enabled. Remove that and the pedal won't engage the pitch block.

The parameter is only visible/relevant in custom shift type, but the modifier can exist and autoengage the block with other types. The control menu "mods" page can be used to locate problem modifiers in scenarios like this. (In this case you can access and remove it from there without needing to temporarily switch the block to cust. shift type.)

You're an absolute light sabre/life saver (whichever you prefer) - thank you so much! :D
Would it still be a bug though? Because even though I DID initially have it set to Ext Ctrl 2, when I switched it to the envelope control I would've thought the pedal would obviously no longer have control since I can only assign one means of control per block (at least on either JUST X or JUST Y configs)...
I've had the XL+ since Oct of 2015 and I'm STILL picking things up haha. Head's spinning.

There's no sign of a bug so far. The problem modifier was Voice 1 Scale, a separate parameter from whammy control.

If the modifier was appearing without taking the usual steps to assign it, that would be a bug.

Because even though I DID initially have it set to Ext Ctrl 2
when you had what set to Ext Ctrl 2?

it seems you're saying you had the CONTROL parameter set to EC2, then set it to Envelope. but Bakerman is saying a different parameter - voice 1 scale - was set to EC2.

i doubt there is a bug that will set a random Parameter to a random controller source. sounds like it was set accidentally at some point.

remember you can click CONTROLLERS in Axe-Edit (near the middle of the screen) or go to the Controllers page on the front panel, and check what exactly is assigned to what, all in one list. no need to search through every page of every block.

marking this as not a bug. (edit - haha!)

when you had what set to Ext Ctrl 2?

it seems you're saying you had the CONTROL parameter set to EC2, then set it to Envelope. but Bakerman is saying a different parameter - voice 1 scale - was set to EC2.

i doubt there is a bug that will set a random Parameter to a random controller source. sounds like it was set accidentally at some point.

remember you can click CONTROLLERS in Axe-Edit (near the middle of the screen) or go to the Controllers page on the front panel, and check what exactly is assigned to what, all in one list. no need to search through every page of every block.

marking this as not a bug. (edit - haha!)

I just thought that when I later changed it from being controlled by pedal to controlled by envelope, I assumed that the envelope would have overwritten all 'control' that the pedal had, yet it was still lurking in the background - it was as if the pedal and envelope controls were fighting through the same doorway, bumping shoulders haha.

Regardless, if it's not a bug then I guess it's not a bug. The problem is solved. Thanks guys! :)

I just thought that when I later changed it from being controlled by pedal to controlled by envelope, I assumed that the envelope would have overwritten all 'control' that the pedal had

If the only modifier was on the whammy "control" parameter, that's what should happen.

The problem was the separate modifier assigned to "voice 1 scale". Changing the whammy "control" source won't remove a modifier from another parameter in the block.

Define "it." We are discussing 2 completely separate parameters.

You know that you can assign multiple parameters to the same controller, yes?

Well I was talking about when you select the control edit function (right-clicking on the square-ish icon on a knob or button in Axe-Edit) and choose from a scroll-down list - in THAT instance, I thought you could only choose one control method at a time. But I guess I overlooked the other ways of arranging it.

Like I said, I'm still learning even after nearly 2 years haha! -_-

Well I was talking about when you select the control edit function (right-clicking on the square-ish icon on a knob or button in Axe-Edit) and choose from a scroll-down list - in THAT instance, I thought you could only choose one control method at a time. But I guess I overlooked the other ways of arranging it.

Like I said, I'm still learning even after nearly 2 years haha! -_-
you are correct that per parameter, you can choose one Source for the controller/modifier. but i can assign External Control 2 to as many parameters at the same time as i want, each in their own Modifier window (where you see the Source list).

again, check the CONTROLLERS window to see everything that has an assignment.

you are correct that per parameter, you can choose one Source for the controller/modifier. but i can assign External Control 2 to as many parameters at the same time as i want, each in their own Modifier window (where you see the Source list).

again, check the CONTROLLERS window to see everything that has an assignment.

Affirmative! Thank you again (both of you) for your help!

Back
Top Bottom