[Not a Bug] [Solved] USB audio data loss while connecting to Macbook Pro

I've had a pretty stressful last couple hours trying to solve this issue and I think I did. I just recently started recording via USB audio and everything was running smoothly, even though I have my Axe Fx II connected to my computer via a USB hub.

Yesterday I dismantled my setup to clean my desk and when I put everything back together I was getting terrible data loss (bit crushed noisy sound) while using my Axe as an input device in Logic.

I had already been using the Axe with a USB hub but to make sure, I connected it straight to the computer, and still had the issue. I updated everything, still had the issue. But then I switched the USB connection to a different USB port in my computer and voila! It was gone.

So I am 99% sure it was the USB port on my computer than couldn't handle the USB data from the Axe.

I have the new 15 inch Macbook Pro with the touchbar (late 2016). The bottom right port is working, the top right one was the one giving me trouble.

The apple website claims:

"MacBook Pro models introduced in 2016 vary slightly in the data speeds they provide to each Thunderbolt 3 port.

MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2016) delivers full Thunderbolt 3 performance on all four ports.

MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2016, Four Thunderbolt 3 Ports) supports Thunderbolt 3 at full performance using the two left-hand ports. The two right-hand ports deliver Thunderbolt 3 functionality, but have reduced PCI Express bandwidth."

So theoretically all the ports on my computer should be the same but I have suspicions that certain ports may not have the same functionality. Anyone else have issues like this?

EDIT:

Now I'm not so sure....I think my problem may simply have been that I was testing the connection with a very effect-heavy patch...the problem persists when I use certain patches but not with others, so I think this is the issue after all. Sorry for the misleading initial post!

Last edited:
more effects in a preset shouldn't affect the audio data rate. but HIGH CPU can affect it, which can come from having more effects.

USB processing of the Axe-Fx uses CPU, so this is probably the cause. generally speaking, 90% or so is the limit for creating patches to leave room for USB processing, running the LCD screen, actual audio processing, etc. though you may need to go a bit lower on the CPU at times.

Also thunderbolt speeds are not required at all - it's a USB 2.0 connection, and audio really doesn't use that much bandwidth.

Back
Top Bottom