[NOT A BUG] Possible bug in the compressor

notalemming

Fractal Fanatic
Has anyone else noticed that the make up gain in the studio compressor doesn't seem to do anything? It made a big difference in level on the II but I can't tell any difference when it's on or off in the III.

No one else has noticed the major difference in the way make up gain works on the III than the II?
Makeup Gain is working as expected for me.

Check the gain meter. If your signal isn't actually driving it into compression, there's nothing to make up.

It's definitely compressing. I can hear it & see it in the meter. Still virtually no difference with make up gain on or off. I'm beginning to think my Axe has issues. I can also not get my amp block level up anywhere near the same as in my Axe XL without it going way into the red on the layout meter & starting to clip. I have to turn the physical output knob way up to make up for the lack of level. Anyone else experience this?

It's definitely compressing. I can hear it & see it in the meter. Still virtually no difference with make up gain on or off.
How does it work with a clean tone?

I can also not get my amp block level up anywhere near the same as in my Axe XL without it going way into the red on the layout meter & starting to clip. I have to turn the physical output knob way up to make up for the lack of level.
What is the Output Level set to in Setup > I/O?

This is with squeaky clean & slightly overdriven tones. Makeup gain was very noticeable in the XL. Not at all so in my III.
Output is set to:
Mode: stereo
Output Level: +4
Phase: Normal

What's your input level set to? Try experimenting with all the variables that could affect output volume, including within the blocks.

It's definitely compressing. I can hear it & see it in the meter. Still virtually no difference with make up gain on or off. I'm beginning to think my Axe has issues. I can also not get my amp block level up anywhere near the same as in my Axe XL without it going way into the red on the layout meter & starting to clip. I have to turn the physical output knob way up to make up for the lack of level. Anyone else experience this?

What's your input level set to? Try experimenting with all the variables that could affect output volume, including within the blocks.
It's set to tickle the red with the bridge humbucker on an SSH Anderson strat. 25.1%. On my XL, it's set to 31%. So far it seems the III has way less headroom which doesn't make sense! The only block in or out levels I have changed form default is the Amp block.

It's set to tickle the red with the bridge humbucker on an SSH Anderson strat. 25.1%. On my XL, it's set to 31%. So far it seems the III has way less headroom which doesn't make sense! The only block in or out levels I have changed form default is the Amp block.
Check the Layout > Meters page. See if you can spot where the level is getting reduced.

The levels all look good and even there. It also is registering at zero db on the overall level meter at the top left of the layout page. It's that meter that will not take the same amp block levels as the XL will. No where close. What ever is going on is almost like a digital calibration that is way off. It's seems it's seeing the signal a lot hotter than it is. For example, my Soldano clean on the XL is set to+2.8. The same preset with the same settings on the III is set to -18.1. Both register at 0db on the level meters.

Yes, my presets, factory presets, modified factory presets & one I downloaded from the forum. All have the same issue.

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking. I wanted to see if anyone else was experiencing this as maybe that's just the way the III is. I'm actually glad that it maybe just my Axe has an issue! Thanks for the help Rex!! @FractalAudio, does any of this sound right to you?

Edit: I tried just the same amp & cab in both the XL & the III, all set the same. On the XL, I can set the amp block level to -.2. On the III, I can only get it up to -9 before it starts hitting red in the layout meter. Why????

Last edited:
Yeah, that's what I'm thinking. I wanted to see if anyone else was experiencing this as maybe that's just the way the III is. I'm actually glad that it maybe just my Axe has an issue! Thanks for the help Rex!!
There’s nothing wrong with your Axe. It’s that burrito you ate at breakfast. ;)

I’m sure Support will get you sorted out.

The levels all look good and even there. It also is registering at zero db on the overall level meter at the top left of the layout page. It's that meter that will not take the same amp block levels as the XL will. No where close. What ever is going on is almost like a digital calibration that is way off. It's seems it's seeing the signal a lot hotter than it is. For example, my Soldano clean on the XL is set to+2.8. The same preset with the same settings on the III is set to -18.1. Both register at 0db on the level meters.

That sounds about right. The Axe-Fx III is NOT an Axe-Fx II. The Level control in the amp is just a number. It doesn't correlate to the value in the II.

That sounds about right. The Axe-Fx III is NOT an Axe-Fx II. The Level control in the amp is just a number. It doesn't correlate to the value in the II.
It's more than just numbers. I have to turn the physical output knob much higher to get a similar volume than the XL, and this is at low, living room volumes. It just seems odd there is such a drastic difference & wondering if I can even get my live rig loud enough to be heard.
Is the compressor makeup gain supposed to be extremely subtle on the III?

It's more than just numbers. I have to turn the physical output knob much higher to get a similar volume than the XL, and this is at low, living room volumes. It just seems odd there is such a drastic difference & wondering if I can even get my live rig loud enough to be heard.

You can send the unit in for evaluation but I doubt there's anything wrong with it. We check all inputs and outputs during functional test.

You can send the unit in for evaluation but I doubt there's anything wrong with it. We check all inputs and outputs during functional test.
So you would think having just an amp & cab preset with the same settings except for amp block levels, hitting zero on the respective meters, that it makes sense that with the XL output knob at 9 o'clock, the III's output knob needs to be at 12 o'clock to get to the same volume?

Back
Top Bottom