(Not a bug) Pitch Block Latency after Reboot

The issue is that you shouldn't use a voice if the pitch shift is zero. I could remove the latency in that case but then you wouldn't realize that you have a voice set to zero shift.

Is the pitch-shifted tone different at zero lag vs some lag? If so, having both options could warrant including the capability if you're specifically looking for a pitch-shifted, zero lag voice in parallel with your dry sound.

Perhaps there's a way to get the best of both worlds.
Allow Zero Lag settings to be dialed in, but default each voice to include some lag.
This way you won't accidentally setup your tone with a redundant, zero-shifted voice.

Last edited:
The issue is that you shouldn't use a voice if the pitch shift is zero. I could remove the latency in that case but then you wouldn't realize that you have a voice set to zero shift.
I have a pitch block set to classic whammy, 1 octave up. I get lag when I turn it on with a footswitch or switch to a scene with the pedal engaged. If I fuss around with settings or turn it off and on again, the lag goes away. That's the behavior I'm referring to.

I came accross this latency on 0 shift issue initally (see op) while making a quasi 12 string patch with the following blocks in parallel to an unaffected signal: 1 - a crossover block that divides the low strings tone left and the high strings tone right and then 2 - a shift block with voice1 processing low strings (left input from xovr) an octave up, and voice2 processing hi strings (right input from xovr) at 0/unison - voice 1/2 levels are maxed and block mix is at 100%. This worked well except I noticed the latency thing at voice shift = 0. I worked around it by routing a separate signal around the pitch block through vol/pan for generating the unison from the right side input from xovr. Not as tidy as I'd initally conceived and seems like a use case for pitch voice shift = 0, but no biggie.

I never noticed this issue with voices shifted other than 0 - will take a look at whammy (maybe it has this issue as the whammy sweep starts at 0?).

Last edited:
Interesting video on Latency comparing the axe III and other devices. Thought I would post here instead of starting a new thread

I've done latency measurements with the Virtual Capo and I've never seen latency times that high. He doesn't provide enough detail about what he's doing to pinpoint where he's going wrong though. However, that video is unrelated to the problem described in the OP.

I can reproduce the problem in the OP, but I don't quite understand how that problem could be considered to be "as expected". Regardless of initial conditions, doesn't that latency seem excessive?

To answer Bakerman's question, adding a small amount of detune doesn't seem to help.

Last edited:
I've done latency measurements with the Virtual Capo and I've never seen latency times that high. He doesn't provide enough detail about what he's doing to pinpoint where he's going wrong though.

That said, I don't quite understand how the problem the OP mentioned could be happening. Regardless of initial conditions, that latency seems excessive.

To answer Bakerman's question, adding a small amount of detune doesn't seem to help.
fyi - the issue I posted initially only applied to the latency I was seeing with a 0 shift in Chromatic mode.

Just now in Cygnus, I re-tested the latency of a 0 shift in Chromatic pitch mode (no delay / 100% mix) as per the OP, and I get 45ms after system reboot. This is along the lines of what I saw before which was that after reboot, on a 0 shift, the latency is high, and is the behaviour mentioned by Fractal to be avoidable by not doing 0 shifts.

I also tested the Whammy/VC modes and they seem to exhibit the same behaviour (higher latency at 0 shift just after reboot).

I'm testing using the IO/Ping utility in logic which can send a ping in/out of Axefx with measurement of the travel time (I baseline with Pitch bypassed and then measure differences with Pitch engaged). My patch is USB Block (gate off) > Pitch Block > Output Block. Note - this utility will not give accurate results if the "Ping" tone gets too modified by the preset (ie eq, gates, shifting, chorusing ...).

Yes, I’m seeing the same problem. When I said I don’t see the high latency, I was referring to the video, not to the OP :).

Set Level to 0 if shift is zero. No point in using a voice if it's not doing anything.

I reported a latency problem with the pitch shifter (whammy) here a while ago too. I shared the presets and others confirmed that it was indeed a problem that was in the axe and not the preset

unrelated to latency but I find my self pitchshifting using virtual capo as much as 8 semitones since I don't have a 7 string or 8 string and it gives superb results better than anything I have tried ever. My question is, when I record I find it to have some undeniable thickness some mild muddiness, since you know how exactly the virtual capo works I wanted to know if you can help me out with. this as I would like a slightly less thick sound, when I pitch shift by thick I mean less differentiable between different notes than if I actually tune a string to the pitch.

Deja vu. I went through this as well: https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/possible-virtual-capo-bug.169058/#post-2031630

Set Level to 0 if shift is zero. No point in using a voice if it's not doing anything.
For me at least, the reason I was setting the shift to 0 with the block enabled was to try and have a "global virtual capo" where I could control the shift amount on a global performance page. I really think this is a high value use case that many would appreciate. It also seems like the perfect use case for Performance Pages. Between needing to tap dance to turn the pitch block on and off and realizing that scene changes override PP settings I gave up in frustration.

Here are some more related threads:
https://forum.fractalaudio.com/thre...led-state-and-other-bugs.169253/#post-2033961
https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/global-virtual-capo.167103/

Back
Top Bottom