[not a bug] Multiband Compressor Mix parameter

I'm trying now and with the mix set to 100% it sounds fine, at 0% it sounds the same as when the block is bypassed but around 50% it sounds phasey - is this what you're experiencing?

I'm trying now and with the mix set to 100% it sounds fine, at 0% it sounds the same as when the block is bypassed but around 50% it sounds phasey - is this what you're experiencing?

Yes, exactly, it sounds as expected at 0% and 100% but the transition at 50% sounds phasey.

This is the reason I don't like Mix controls on things like this but someone asked for it... It's inevitable that it will cause phasiness because the crossovers cause phase shift.

Thanks for the info. I don't know if you've ever used FabFilter's multiband compressor plugin, but if so, any idea how they managed to get around the issue?

Thanks for the info. I don't know if you've ever used FabFilter's multiband compressor plugin, but if so, any idea how they managed to get around the issue?
Since plug-ins/DAWs aren't having to process audio in real-time, I would imagine that they are applying a micro-delay to the dry signal to keep it in phase with the processed signal.??

Probably using FIR filters. IIR filters will inherently have phase shift.

TBH I don't understand why anyone would ever use a mix control on a multiband compressor...

TBH I don't understand why anyone would ever use a mix control on a multiband compressor...

Rather than adjusting 3 individual bands, you can control the overall level of the mix with a single parameter.

I don‘t understand it either, but did you try to split the signal, use the MBC with one part (mix=100%) and combine it afterwards with the uncompressed part?

Since plug-ins/DAWs aren't having to process audio in real-time, I would imagine that they are applying a micro-delay to the dry signal to keep it in phase with the processed signal.??

With the buffer set moderately low, you can monitor the processed audio with low latency which, while not real-time, is sufficient for listening to the output while playing/recording, for some people anyway. For me, that's fine if the plugin is the last effect in the chain (ie. placed after the blocks in Axe-Edit), but if I need it between a block on the Axe-Edit grid, that presents another challenge.

Yes FabFilter use linear phase filters or what the call Natural phase filters (which I believe is somehow a happy medium between linear and minimum phase filters).
I really think it could be great to have a dynamic EQ in the box - even just a single band. It greatly reduces the phase issues inherent with multiband comps. And at least for my uses of MBC, I only use one band anyway. I think the Tokyo Dawn Records Nova is a very elegant implementation of a dynamic EQ with no latency and very small phase issues.

For the same reason people use a mix control on a wide-band compressor: to retain the punch/attack of the signal, but blend in a bit more sustain as well. In the case of the multiband comp, though, you can select the frequency range(s) of the sustain you bring up.

Back
Top Bottom