[Not a] Bug: Individual Cab levels

giantslayer

Experienced
Turning down the level on an individual cab in the cab block doesn't seem to do anything.

I tried it on Cygnus and on 15.01 and it's there in both. At some point in the past, it used it work. I probably just didn't notice the change or figured it was something with the modeling.

Turning down the level on an individual cab in the cab block doesn't seem to do anything.

I tried it on Cygnus and on 15.01 and it's there in both. At some point in the past, it used it work. I probably just didn't notice the change or figured it was something with the modeling.
Individual cab block volume only impacts relative volume when mixing multiple IRs. That is by design.

This is not a bug. From the Blocks Guide:

Cab 1, 2, 3, 4 Level – (two on FM3) These parameters may seem straightforward, but can actually be a bit tricky until you understand how they work. Rather than simply controlling the overall level of each Cab IR, this sets relative levels between the IRs when more than one is loaded. The final blend is then normalized and controlled via the Level parameter on the Mix page—a master control for all four Cab IRs. So, for example:

When only ONE Cab IR is in use and the other three are muted, this control will have no effect since relative level doesn’t apply without two or more Cab IRs to compare.

When TWO (or more) Cab IRs are loaded, you only need to adjust the one(s) you want quieter. Think about it: reducing Cab 1 to –2dB and Cab 2 to –4 dB is the same as leaving Cab 1 alone and setting Cab 2 to –2 dB. Only the difference counts!

With more than one Cab IR in use, you will hear the tonal blend change, but the overall volume will remain relatively the same because again, the blend is normalized as you adjust. Do keep in mind however that because of their frequency contents, some cabs may be perceived as louder or quieter than others.

Thanks, everyone. You are right: it makes no difference when only one cab is there but if multiple are active at the same time, it does work still. You guys rock!

I went back and edited the thread title accordingly.

Back
Top Bottom