[NOT A BUG] 2290 w/mod Delay

It doesn't change the Axe settings. It collapses your signal to mono. Left and right get mixed together, and the two out-of-phase delays cancel each other out. Poof! No more delay.

Hold on... I had to reverse to "None" (see post #4) for the delay to come back. Now you're telling me that because I've plugged in the cab the delay is gone. That's not the case or it would've happen every time.

Hold on... I had to reverse to "None" (see post #4) for the delay to come back. Now you're telling me that because I've plugged in the cab the delay is gone. That's not the case or it would've happen every time.
When you set reverse to "None," the delay no longer cancels when the signal is summed to mono. The 2290 uses phase reversal to get that lush, super-wide stereo spread. Without the phase reversal (which only works in stereo), the 2290 doesn't sound quite so spectacular.

Try this: unplug your cab. Put the phase reversal back in, and listen through headphones. With the cab unplugged, do you get your delay back?

When you set reverse to "None," the delay no longer cancels when the signal is summed to mono. The 2290 uses phase reversal to get that lush, super-wide stereo spread. Without the phase reversal (which only works in stereo), the 2290 doesn't sound quite so spectacular.

Try this: unplug your cab. Put the phase reversal back in, and listen through headphones. With the cab unplugged, do you get your delay back?

Alright I'll try that. Thanks Rex.

this thread was so helpful! I had the same issue and I accidentally changed the output 1 to L+R sum, instead of it being stereo. It will work if it says L/R copy but it doesn't sound as awesome as output 1 set to Stereo. This also weirdly affected my levels when recording via AES into my interface. Only the output section in the layout would lower or raise my volume, the output knobs became nullified when I had the output 1 on L+R sum.

Is it possible that when recording via AES that having out 1 set to L/R sum would cause my output knobs to no longer work and only allow the layout section with the output to control the volume/levels? Anyways I never had this problem before until it was set on L/R sum. I am assuming if I have out 1 in stereo or L/R copy it should fix it? Would output two also affect this?

Is it possible that when recording via AES that having out 1 set to L/R sum would cause my output knobs to no longer work and only allow the layout section with the output to control the volume/levels?
The Output knobs are at the end of the Axe's signal chain, after the conversion back to analog. When you're sending to AES, you remain in the digital domain, and your sound never gets to the Output knobs.

That would make sense, except I have still been able to control my output level with the knobs every time I have recorded in the past just using AES only. So I think it may have something to do with it. I am going to test my setup again and see if the output knobs affect the signal level after changing the out 1 to stereo. I am unsure why in the past when I turned the output knobs it affected the volume level/recording level.

The output level knobs will affect anything downstream from them, whether AES is in use or not.

I noticed with the fx loop that the second output knob works to control volume. Why doesn't the first one work with it? Also why do presets not using the fx loop block require me to adjust the output in layout when using AES.

Thank is for all the explanations Rex, I really appreciate the time you took to reply and help! I go back and forth deciding to use analog outs or keep AES. What do you prefer for recording? I got great results with just my focus rite saffire analog. But with my metric halo the AES connection also sounds decent. Analog ay be a bit warmer. I always never k ow whether to slave the axe or the halo

Thank is for all the explanations Rex, I really appreciate the time you took to reply and help!
I'm glad to help. Others have helped me, so I try to pass it along.

I go back and forth deciding to use analog outs or keep AES. What do you prefer for recording?
Use whichever one gets you closest to what you want with the least amount of fuss. Both sound great. No one's going to listen to your recording and say, "Oh, I can tell that was recorded in AES," or vice versa.

Back
Top Bottom