Nooooooo!! Flashing lights of death have struck....

jlynnb1

Axe-Master
Was updating last night, when I restarted i got the flashing screen/lights and bursts of white noise. Have updated this thing religiously since like FW 8 and never had a hiccup. I hope I can survive the withdrawals until it's fixed. :sob::sob::sob:

yeah looks like it, waiting to hear back from support. this things like a drug, hasn't even been 12 hours and i'm dying to play....i guess this is why you're supposed to have a back up, lol...

me too! luckily i requested the weekend off for the first time since September, lol....

That's why it bricked when you updated....... you should never take a weekend off should be your takeaway.....well, that and order an extra EPROM!

Hey guys, sorry to jump in, but I had a question about the whole EPROM thing if I may?

My AxeFxII had an issue one time and was fixed by Fractal support and they mentioned something about an EPROM. So I bought the EPROM for it but have never used it. Is this EPROM like an add-on that may stop the issue from happening again if it is something flash/memory? Like aren't the new XL+ units sort of fail safe or something now, and this thing I ordered is sort of like that? Or am I just replacing a chip that fries and I should buy a few of these boards just in case?

I guess I just need someone to shed some light on what these things really do. Sorry for my ignorance....but since I haven't had to use this thing, I don't know much about it and got one just in case. Thanks in advance and sorry for jumping into the conversation.

jlynnb1: so sorry to hear about your issues. I hope they get resolved quickly so you can start "using" again. LOL! I have the same drug problem with this darned processor. Best of luck!

EDIT: I have both a regular Ax II MK and an XL+. The EPROM I bought was for my regular Ax not XL+

My AxeFxII had an issue one time and was fixed by Fractal support and they mentioned something about an EPROM. So I bought the EPROM for it but have never used it. Is this EPROM like an add-on that may stop the issue from happening again if it is something flash/memory? Like aren't the new XL+ units sort of fail safe or something now, and this thing I ordered is sort of like that? Or am I just replacing a chip that fries and I should buy a few of these boards just in case?

It only applies to the pre-XL models. It's a small memory chip you seat in to a socket on the mainboard of the unit that contains a simple firmware that can put the unit back in to a working state when the main firmware memory gets corrupted. It gives you enough functionality to get it connected to USB and flash main firmware again to get it back to full health. The newer XL and XL+ units have this recovery firmware built in to them. Older units require ordering a chip from Fractal and putting it in the unit yourself. It's a simple procedure and I think the chip plus postage is <$10 in the USA.

You only need one emergency EEMPROM chip and once it's installed in your unit you leave it there.

I guess I just need someone to shed some light on what these things really do. Sorry for my ignorance....but since I haven't had to use this thing, I don't know much about it and got one just in case. Thanks in advance and sorry for jumping into the conversation.
Never fret asking a question! It's not obvious what this stuff does if you're not deep in to the details of electronics design.

EDIT: I have both a regular Ax II MK and an XL+. The EPROM I bought was for my regular Ax not XL+
The EEPROM goes in your older unit. The XL+ shipped with what is essentially a recovery EEPROM from the factory.

It only applies to the pre-XL models. It's a small memory chip you seat in to a socket on the mainboard of the unit that contains a simple firmware that can put the unit back in to a working state when the main firmware memory gets corrupted. It gives you enough functionality to get it connected to USB and flash main firmware again to get it back to full health. The newer XL and XL+ units have this recovery firmware built in to them. Older units require ordering a chip from Fractal and putting it in the unit yourself. It's a simple procedure and I think the chip plus postage is <$10 in the USA.

You only need one emergency EEMPROM chip and once it's installed in your unit you leave it there.

Never fret asking a question! It's not obvious what this stuff does if you're not deep in to the details of electronics design.

The EEPROM goes in your older unit. The XL+ shipped with what is essentially a recovery EEPROM from the factory.

Thank you SO much for the quick and informative response. I need to put that baby in now just so I'm covered. Much appreciated! :)

Thank you SO much for the quick and informative response. I need to put that baby in now just so I'm covered. Much appreciated! :)

might as well wait, as you have to put a jumper on in order to activate it, so if it does brick you will have to take the top off anyway. your call. I've thought about installing a switch.

Installing the ROM is pretty easy. When I messed up my firmware update, I ordered a boot ROM from Fractal Audio and it was delivered 2 days later in the mail (fast service!). The wait seemed like an eternity...I've never wanted to use my AxeFx as much as I did as I was waiting for that ROM to arrive. You'll breathe a sigh of relief once you have the chip installed and you're up and running again! :)

I ordered one a while back just in case. Never had to use it up to this point thank God but I have it just as a backup.

So for Mk1 or Mk2 users without the pre-installed backup EEPROM is there a spare socket in there to add one? Nerver had to open my Axe:)

Back
Top Bottom