Noodling around on the Axe FX

Hey man, just curious what you are doing for drums? I've been looking for a decent program to use for some time now so I can start recording some backing tracks/ideas but I haven't really the slightest clue which one to get.

Last edited:
I use toontrack superior drummer 2.0 and I'm using the avatar drum set. It comes standard with superior drummer.
I started of using the presets that you can buy, but eventually I tweaked them to my own taste.
There are many great drum programs, steven slate drums and BFD.
Toontrack is my goto though :)

The riff is great. Positively love the tone; it's got a fatness and attitude that fit the riffage very well.

A couple of things stand out from the song:

1. The dry drum hits don't feel like they're part of the tune. They just seem to stand by themselves. It feels like a guy with a stick and a carboard box playing against a backing track. I like the phrasing of it, though.
  2. The stutter thing going on near the beginning of the tune. I've listened to that passage three times, and each time I hear it, I instictively spend a moment wondering what's wrong with my computer or Internet feed. Maybe if you left a little bit of level in the troughs of the stutter.

But I do like your tone. It's kind of explosive without being jagged.

The riff is great. Positively love the tone; it's got a fatness and attitude that fit the riffage very well.

A couple of things stand out from the song:

1. The dry drum hits don't feel like they're part of the tune. They just seem to stand by themselves. It feels like a guy with a stick and a carboard box playing against a backing track. I like the phrasing of it, though.
  2. The stutter thing going on near the beginning of the tune. I've listened to that passage three times, and each time I hear it, I instictively spend a moment wondering what's wrong with my computer or Internet feed. Maybe if you left a little bit of level in the troughs of the stutter.

But I do like your tone. It's kind of explosive without being jagged.

Good critisism. Thanks buddy :)
And yeah, I changed the stutter, it was too much I think. (or too long?)

Well I'm using third party cabs, so I'm not sure sharing the preset is a good idea :p
But I'm using a TS808 with tone pretty high, and distortion pretty low. Amps is 5153 with no real special settings either than adjusting the gain, presence and setting the high on "bright"
The cab is a Mesa Boogie 4x12 with V30's miced by a SM-57 IR by RedWirez.
That's about it, I try to keep the output on the TS808 not too high, and the gain as low as possible on the amp. Too much distortion just fuzzes it up :p
My 57 goldtop reissue has a 57 classic humbucker, and it's pretty good!
It's all in the cab really, that's where the magic happens.

Back
Top Bottom