NOOB questions about Axe-Fx Ultra

jeken33

Hey everyone! I just recently made the purchase of a used Axe Fx Ultra. I've been wanting to try out an Axe Fx for some time now, and one popped up for $599 (5000SEK). Seeing it is 14 years old it's exciting to see if it still holds up or if it has become outdated. I haven't received it yet, so I have a few questions about the unit and so on.

1. Since the Ultra does not have a built in headphone jack I will have to use a headphone amplifier (I live in an apartment so it has to be quiet sometimes.) The headphone amplifier (Mackie HM4) seems to only have one 1/4 input jack, how can I connect the Ultra to the Mackie?

2. For starters I will just use the unit to program it, just so I get used to the display and system. I'm planning on eventually use the Axe Edit software to program the unit, is there a version of Axe Edit that is compatible with a MacBook Air from 2013 with macOS Mojave 10.14.6 installed? I've read on different parts of the forum that it is not possible. Just want some clarification.

Will try to sift through the forum to see if there is anything that can answer my questions, and post some more questions if any come to mind. Have a good one folks!

Should be able to run some head phones with an adapter cable that is double 1/4 ts to 1/4 female trs, or 1/8 female trs plugged straight into the outputs. depends how loud you want it and how much power is needed to run your headphones.

I would get good at the front panel, When I had my ultra the edit was hit n miss trying to get it to connect and stay connected. the axe II and newer is much, much, much improved when it comes to the edit

I started with an Ultra and ran that through a small Mackie mixer. I believe I ran a 1/4 instrument cable out from the Ultra’s out1 into a 1/4 inch input jack on the mixer.

Paranoid is correct I recall lots of problems connecting. Use the wiki to make sure you get the right adapter

Should be able to run some head phones with an adapter cable that is double 1/4 ts to 1/4 female trs, or 1/8 female trs plugged straight into the outputs. depends how loud you want it and how much power is needed to run your headphones.

I would get good at the front panel, When I had my ultra the edit was hit n miss trying to get it to connect and stay connected. the axe II and newer is much, much, much improved when it comes to the edit
Thank's for the reply man! I will keep this in mind. For starters right now I will just use the headphones to practice with, have a pair of studiomonitors on the way!

Hi jeken and welcome! I've had my ultra for 10 years without issues and it still kicks butt!

As far as axe edit, about 1 out of 100 times it doesn't see my ultra but I have discovered that all I have to do is close axe edit, unplug and re-plug in the usb/midi cable on my computer and then restart axe edit. I don't even have an expensive usb/midi adapter so am guessing that's why it has the odd issue. Other than that it sometimes is a bit slow communicating the changes I make to the ultra but I'm talking 1 to 2 seconds.

Other than that, enjoy an amazing piece of gear. I still enjoy it so much that I made a deal with my wife. I won't buy a new axefx3 under the condition that if my ultra ever dies I can buy whatever the current gen is.

Back
Top Bottom